1966 Animated Intro Question!

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

legionsofgotham

1966 Animated Intro Question!

Post by legionsofgotham »

I'm wondering 66 experts...does anyone know who was actually responsible for the intro to the 66 show? What people worked on it? Its technically the first animated Batman and I'd love to know who was responsible for that. Thanks for any help!
legionsofgotham

Re: 1966 Animated Intro Question!

Post by legionsofgotham »

No one? :)
BatmanFan102

Post by BatmanFan102 »

I haven't the foggiest idea, but whoever did do it did a superb job!
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

One of the regulars on the board some years ago, a guy called GDog, knew all about the musicians and vocalists who performed the opening theme (I think he had studio call sheets), and he or another old-timer also had some background on the animation. I'm not sure there was any specific artist identified, but someone came up with samples of some of the cels, though I can't remember if the ones displayed were facsimiles or originals (which may be lost). I made my avatar by cropping one of those sample cels.

I did a search on the archive of the old message board, but nothing turned up. Maybe I used the wrong search terms, but I'm pretty sure the threads I'm recalling came from a still-older generation of the board. The information is out there! Good luck tracking it down.

Cheers,

QQ
Robin Holyisms

Post by Robin Holyisms »

Quillpen Quirch wrote:One of the regulars on the board some years ago, a guy called GDog, knew all about the musicians and vocalists who performed the opening theme (I think he had studio call sheets), and he or another old-timer also had some background on the animation. I'm not sure there was any specific artist identified, but someone came up with samples of some of the cels, though I can't remember if the ones displayed were facsimiles or originals (which may be lost). I made my avatar by cropping one of those sample cels.

I did a search on the archive of the old message board, but nothing turned up. Maybe I used the wrong search terms, but I'm pretty sure the threads I'm recalling came from a still-older generation of the board. The information is out there! Good luck tracking it down.

Cheers,

QQ
Is this the thread that you were talking about?.

Bad Guys in the Intro
http://www.66batman.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Y ... 56093834/0
Martin Zamorano

Post by Martin Zamorano »

The artist who made the intro was Lee Mishkin.

Mishkin had formally retired just six weeks ago, moving to a care facility in Seattle after having spent the last seven years in Vancouver, where he developed the classical animation curriculum and taught at VanArts. The school has started the Lee Mishkin Scholarship Fund to honor the late animator. According to Alan Phillips, president of VanArts, This will be used to help fund studies in a film production year at VanArts. Lee always wanted to see his students produce their own films and we thought that this was a way to help make that happen. Mishkin began his career in 1949, working on Jay Wards CRUSADER RABBIT, the first animated series created specifically for television. Through the 50s and 60s he worked on theatrical series such as CASPER THE FRIENDLY GHOST and POPEYE. He also worked on MISTER MAGOOS CHRISTMAS CAROL animated TV special, and the combination live-action/animated Don Knotts comedy feature, THE INCREDIBLE MR. LIMPETT. In 1970, Mishkin animated and directed IS IT ALWAYS RIGHT TO BE RIGHT?, which won the Academy Award for Best Animated Short. While working in England, Lee received the British Grierson Award for directing BUTTERFLY BALL, the first animated rock video. He also received two Emmy nominations for co-writing and directing FAERIES, a CBS television special. The most notable of his numerous television series and specials credits is the animated introduction to the cult-favorite BATMAN series starring Adam West. Mishkin also co-directed one of the sequences in HEAVY METAL. Mishkins family has asked that any donations be made out to the Lee Mishkin Scholarship Fund and sent to:

VanArts

837 Beatty Street

Vancouver, B.C. V6B 2M6

CanadaImage
Adam West Squadron BATMANIA - www.batmania.com.ar
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

Robin Holyisms wrote:
Quillpen Quirch wrote:One of the regulars on the board some years ago, a guy called GDog, knew all about the musicians and vocalists who performed the opening theme (I think he had studio call sheets), and he or another old-timer also had some background on the animation. I'm not sure there was any specific artist identified, but someone came up with samples of some of the cels, though I can't remember if the ones displayed were facsimiles or originals (which may be lost). I made my avatar by cropping one of those sample cels.

Cheers,

QQ
Is this the thread that you were talking about?.

Bad Guys in the Intro
http://www.66batman.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Y ... 56093834/0
That is one of the threads I was thinking of -- the one where I got my avatar! Thanks for digging it up.

I didn't mean to imply GDog was the only board member versed on bat-music. I just remember having a conversation with him about how the heck he knew so much about the performers on the session for the title song.

For what it's worth, this is the composite image of all the opening-titles villains that's referred to in that "Bad Guys in the Intro" thread. The hosting setup I used back when the thread came together is no more.
Rogues.jpg
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

No offense taken. The written word can suck sometimes.

John
Music. BAT! Music.
Todd Grimes

Post by Todd Grimes »

Wow! Looking back at that archived thread - the original line drawings and cels! Those are amazing!

And in this thread, great mystery solving!