More joys of the Blu-ray Discs...

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Chuck Williams

More joys of the Blu-ray Discs...

Post by Chuck Williams »

Hi All,

I've been trying to watch these when I can and every time catch more things that make me grateful for the high quality of the Blu-ray disks...

Like stray threads on cowls...

Or seeing Batgirls stunt double have chunky heels in one scene and boot issues addressed with tape...

And later with thinner heels but still heavier than the hero kitten heels.

Fun stuff!!!!
Chuck...
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
Ben Bentley

Re: More joys of the Blu-ray Discs...

Post by Ben Bentley »

I'm not sure if it's because i've been lucky enough to see/touch/hold original costume pieces but there is something about these Blu-Ray transfers that makes me feel like I could reach into the screen and touch them.
High C

Post by High C »

Sigh
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

I agree Ben!

It also changes from episode to episode. The later episodes seem to have a slightly softer focus overall.

I'm cherry picking shots of the Batmobile and some shots are crystal clear, as if you are standing there with the car and others where the focus is juuuust off a bit and it looks like a regular film.

For the most part I'm floored by them!!

Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Chuck Williams wrote:I agree Ben!

It also changes from episode to episode. The later episodes seem to have a slightly softer focus overall.

I'm cherry picking shots of the Batmobile and some shots are crystal clear, as if you are standing there with the car and others where the focus is juuuust off a bit and it looks like a regular film.

It's funny that you've changed your profile picture to that specific screen capture Chuck, I actually watched "The Unkindest Tut of All" a few nights ago and I thought of you when we briefly see Alfred wiled the Bat-Dummy whilst Adam is also in costume in the same shot.
Gernot

Post by Gernot »

<center>Heh. I never realized Mr. West's cowl(s) had the black part over the forehead as Batman did in the comics and cartoons. I thought it was all one color like most of the toys (especially the Ideal PVC figures) from back then.

Thank you for these shots. I can't wait to see some snaps of the fight scenes with the sound effect in mid-air. ;)
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

and yet even more "screen-accurate" versions of the cowl you can create, Chuck! :)
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

Ben Bentley wrote:
Chuck Williams wrote:I agree Ben!

It's funny that you've changed your profile picture to that specific screen capture Chuck, I actually watched "The Unkindest Tut of All" a few nights ago and I thought of you when we briefly see Alfred wiled the Bat-Dummy whilst Adam is also in costume in the same shot.
So how did they film this scene? 3rd season had budget limitations, split screen, optical insertion, "green screen"?? It's obviously Adam as both?

[BBvideo 425,350]http://youtu.be/EcTyDpgimlw[/BBvideo]

looking at screen grabs you can see "dirt", blotches, lint? which pop up all over the screen.
Image below elbow
Image above G on van
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

It would have been an optical insertion - a really good one at that!
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

What makes this shot most interesting to me is where Bruce is standing. Because Bruce is smack in the middle of the shot with his shadow on the Batmobile and the background with the van and moving cameraman moving within the field of both Adam and Batman & Robin, this precludes them using a vertical center split screen for the effect. I also see no traces of chroma-key anywhere in this sequence (and in the 1960s, it would be fairly obvious.)

I further believe that van background does not appear to be inserted - it looks to be live and on scene with the Batmobile and Bruce. So my guess that Batman & Robin in the cockpit of the Batmobile is what is optically inserted. Their scene was filmed with same camera perfectly still and most likely just before Bruce's scene was filmed because costume changes from Batman to Bruce would probably be quicker than vice-versa (especially with no portable Instant Costume Change lever handy in the Batmobile!) allowing for minimal light/shadow changes in the cockpit area.

A very nice shot that I never fully appreciated until now!
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Mark Racop

Post by Mark Racop »

It's really hard to say for sure, but I believe that Bruce was inserted. If you zoom in on Bruce's head you can see some blurring of the hair and you can see blurring of the van all the way around Bruce. I agree with previous posters--It was an exceptionally well-done effect, especially for 1966!
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

We know of the 4 license plates that were used on the Batmobile
but look at all the other GOTHAM 1966 plates that were used during the series! (some were reused on different vehicles)
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Great eye AP!!!! Amazing work as always!!!

I never appreciated that shot either until now!

I'm going to agree with Batfanman and guess that Batman and Robin were inserted in the shot.
Bruce's shadow on the car and the wide array of blending edges around the cockpit make me think this.

Going through the show in high def is a new hobby! :lol:

elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

Excellent.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Chuck Williams wrote:Great eye AP!!!! Amazing work as always!!!

I never appreciated that shot either until now!

I'm going to agree with Batfanman and guess that Batman and Robin were inserted in the shot.
Bruce's shadow on the car and the wide array of blending edges around the cockpit make me think this.

Going through the show in high def is a new hobby! :lol:
I totally agree, the shadow would have been way too much effort/too complicated to splice in.