Shame's origins

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Jim Akin

Shame's origins

Post by Jim Akin »

I've always thought that Shame was purely a take-off on the Alan Ladd western Shane, which features a memorable end scene of a boy pleading "Come back, Shane!" as the heroic gunslinger rides into the sunset.

I just discovered, while perusing this compilation of intros to all the ABC shows that premiered in the fall of 1966, that there was a parody target much closer to hand: A Shane series, starring David Carradine, debuted that fall. Its opening sequence not only featured a little boy calling "Shane! Shane!" but the actor who played that boy, Christopher Shea, was the lookalike older brother of Eric Shea, who played Andy in "Come Back, Shame."

The Shane series ran only one season. Has anyone seen it?

Cheers,

QQ
Dr. Shimel

Re: Shame's origins

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Considering ABC had at least four other plugs for their new Fall shows worked into Batman plots (Phyllis Diller, Milton Berle, the Green Hornet and Howard Duff spring to mind), it probably is accurate to make that assessment.
High C

Post by High C »

Great research, QQ!

And no, I hadn't even heard of it before your post.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

As a matter of fact "Shane" is scheduled for a DVD release in a couple months!

http://www.amazon.com/Shane-Complete-Da ... ords=Shane

Christopher Shea was the voice of Linus in the first Charlie Brown specials, BTW.