King Tut's Tent Location- "The Unkindest Tut of All"

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Pat The Batman Fan

King Tut's Tent Location- "The Unkindest Tut of All"

Post by Pat The Batman Fan »

I was watching "The Unkindest Tut of All" a couple of weeks ago and started wondering where the outdoor filming location of King Tut's tent was. I noticed over Bruce Wayne's shoulder I could read "Victor Wire" on a building (Thank you, Blu-ray). I did a quick Google search and found a company with the same name on Holdredge Ave in Los Angeles, near Culver City. I checked out the Street View on Google Maps and it was definitely the same building.

I was in the area the other night so I stopped by the Victor Wire building then walked up the street to match up where the filming would have taken place.

Amazingly enough, the patch of area where it must have been filmed is still there (it's a median in between Jefferson Blvd & Rodeo Dr) and a public art exhibit has recently been installed there:

http://walkamileinmyshoes.us/

Kind of interesting, I thought.
And why doesn't Batman dance anymore? Remember the Batusi?
Gleeps, it's Batman

Re: King Tut's Tent Location- "The Unkindest Tut of All"

Post by Gleeps, it's Batman »

Cool. I love location information (and backlot info too.) Thanks for posting. :)

I'm sitting here watching last week's Fantasy Island that aired on COZI and think they used the same pier where the Batmobile pulled up to get to the Batboat.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Gleeps, it's Batman wrote:Cool. I love location information (and backlot info too.) Thanks for posting. :)

I'm sitting here watching last week's Fantasy Island that aired on COZI and think they used the same pier where the Batmobile pulled up to get to the Batboat.
Marineland pier BTW. Marineland was owned by 20th Century Fox.

John
Music. BAT! Music.
Gleeps, it's Batman

Post by Gleeps, it's Batman »

Thanks, John. :)

I briefly read about its history. Too bad it was torn down. I guess that means the pier is also gone. Assuming I was looking in the right place, I didn't spot it on Google or Bing maps.
trojanusc

Post by trojanusc »

Pat The Batman Fan wrote: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:50 pm I was watching "The Unkindest Tut of All" a couple of weeks ago and started wondering where the outdoor filming location of King Tut's tent was. I noticed over Bruce Wayne's shoulder I could read "Victor Wire" on a building (Thank you, Blu-ray). I did a quick Google search and found a company with the same name on Holdredge Ave in Los Angeles, near Culver City. I checked out the Street View on Google Maps and it was definitely the same building.

I was in the area the other night so I stopped by the Victor Wire building then walked up the street to match up where the filming would have taken place.

Amazingly enough, the patch of area where it must have been filmed is still there (it's a median in between Jefferson Blvd & Rodeo Dr) and a public art exhibit has recently been installed there:

Sorry to dredge up this old thread but I spent quite a bit of time trying to find this location myself and only stumbled on your post late in the game. You're tracking down Victor Wire was incredibly helpful but the physical shooting location you mentioned is incorrect.

If you notice in the show, when they are facing Bruce Wayne, the elevation seems to be at about roof level of the buildings behind him, which eliminates the plot of land you mentioned. After doing some more digging, it's clear they shot just over the river which is a slightly higher elevation, on the corner of Higuera and Eastham. It's very close, obviously, to the location you spotted. However, if you look behind the tent you'll see two buildings just behind Tut's tent. These buildings still exist on Higuera and are quite identifiable today. The empty lot now has a building on it, though.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

trojanusc wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:11 pm
Pat The Batman Fan wrote: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:50 pm I was watching "The Unkindest Tut of All" a couple of weeks ago and started wondering where the outdoor filming location of King Tut's tent was. I noticed over Bruce Wayne's shoulder I could read "Victor Wire" on a building (Thank you, Blu-ray). I did a quick Google search and found a company with the same name on Holdredge Ave in Los Angeles, near Culver City. I checked out the Street View on Google Maps and it was definitely the same building.

Sorry to dredge up this old thread but I spent quite a bit of time trying to find this location myself and only stumbled on your post late in the game. You're tracking down Victor Wire was incredibly helpful but the physical shooting location you mentioned is incorrect.

If you notice in the show, when they are facing Bruce Wayne, the elevation seems to be at about roof level of the buildings behind him, which eliminates the plot of land you mentioned. After doing some more digging, it's clear they shot just over the river which is a slightly higher elevation, on the corner of Higuera and Eastham. It's very close, obviously, to the location you spotted. However, if you look behind the tent you'll see two buildings just behind Tut's tent. These buildings still exist on Higuera and are quite identifiable today. The empty lot now has a building on it, though.
Great job on researching this! This is the stuff I just love. Going to update this on my list of identified exterior shooting locations from the show that I am (very, very slowly) attempting to complete.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

I'm always amused when I see "Wayne Manor" being used in other shows--I half expect Alfred to be waiting at the door to let them in... :lol: