James Bond caught in batfight -- with his pants down

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Jim Akin

James Bond caught in batfight -- with his pants down

Post by Jim Akin »

I love record stores (the few that are left) and flipping through boxes of LPs at flea markets and yard sales. So I was excited when my Blu-Ray review reached "The Joker's Hard Times" and the batfight at Platter-Porium, the record shop where Joker stashed opera singer Leo Crustache. I was doubly psyched to notice that the prop department lined the walls (and floor) of the shop with real records, so I decided to ID as many albums as I could. That'll take some research, so I'll save those findings for another post, but I must share something I found accidentally while clicking through the scene frame by frame.

The decor of the shop includes three tall caricature-style paintings. One depicts a Sinatra-like singer with a coat folded over his arm; another, a cool-cat cowboy with six-shooter and shades (and a sheaf labeled "Script" in one hand -- Sam Peckinpah, perhaps?).

The third is the one I found hilarious: Located on the far-right side of the scene, it depicts a balding gent holding a gun. He's wearing a tuxedo jacket with an unmistakable "007" badge on the lapel -- but his trousers are around his knees, and he's clearly wearing frilly ladies' bloomers.

The resemblance to Sean Connery is undeniable.

I'd love to know how that came to be on the Batman set -- whether it was made specifically for the show or left over from something else. I'm inclined to think the latter: The paintings seem more oriented toward movies than music (Sinatra was as much movie star as crooner in the mid-60s), which would seem to cast doubt on the idea they were created specifically to dress a record-shop set. If they are leftovers (or castoffs), I wonder what from?

Cheers,

QQ
epaddon

Re: James Bond caught in batfight -- with his pants down

Post by epaddon »

One of the legit albums in the shop was the soundtrack album for the Fox movie "The Bible".
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

epaddon wrote:One of the legit albums in the shop was the soundtrack album for the Fox movie "The Bible".
Yes. Multiple copies of that soundtrack are scattered around the shop. I'm pretty sure it's the only album that appears more than once. Issued in 1966, it's also by far the most contemporary item in the store. Most of the records I've spotted so far are 1950s-vintage. And despite the rock and roll that's bugging Crustache, most of the stock is easy listening fare.

Cheers,

QQ
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Quillpen Quirch wrote:I'd love to know how that came to be on the Batman set -- whether it was made specifically for the show or left over from something else.
Given that the repurposing and sharing of props had taken hold by this point, I would strongly be inclined to say that it was from another production.