Batman viewing order

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Progress Pigment

Re: Batman viewing order

Post by Progress Pigment »

robinboyblunderer wrote:Start with the last episode and go backwards. Watch the movie before you start season 1.

That way the quality of the show improves as it goes on, whole series ending with the Riddler dying in an explosion.
That's fantastic!!! I may actually do that. I tend to consider the movie stand-alone and outside the series completely. But looking for continuity on 'Batman' at any rate seems sort of futile. At the end of the two-parter (or one, or three) the show seems to almost reboot. Robin's "Him again!" not withstanding.
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Pengy wrote:
AndyFish wrote:The show mimicked the comics of the time which had no continuity.
I guess, but the show sometimes displayed continuity. Like Penguin recognizing Alfred from when he kidnapped him in S1, when Alfred was posing as Quillpen Qurch in S2.
Ironically, these two episodes were filmed back-to-back, in a sense. The kidnaping took place in the last episode of S1 and the second was filmed first for S2--yet held back until early December.

One unintentional continuity comment has been noted before: in the Minstrel episode, the Duo talks about past villains they've handled. Clock King was mentioned, though viewers had yet to see the episodes since they had already been filmed prior to that episode. :lol:
Quarhog

Post by Quarhog »

Mancat wrote:I would think the movie would have to pre-date the series in a character timeline -- if only for the fact that in the movie Catwoman uses her mask to conceal her faux identity as Kitka and in the series she uses it as a more an accessory (usually to be worn during a heist). In the first Catwoman episode "The Purr-fect Crime/Better Luck Next Time", Batman never actually sees her without her mask -- but Robin does right before she has her henchmen throw him in the dungeon with the tigers. So, logically, if the movie came after this episode and not before, then as soon as Robin sees Kitka, he would know she's really Catwoman and tip off Batman ...
Unlike in most superhero movies, the four arch-baddies in the 1966 movie are already established wrong-doers before the film has even started, with known track records of infamy and whose likenesses are already on the Bat-computer and retrieved when Batman & Robin do their search for arch-villains currently at large. Even assuming we buy the idea that Catwoman has never been previously apprehended, fingerprinted, had her mask removed and mugshot taken and her true identity become a matter of public record (despite being described in 'Catwoman Goes to College' as a "fifty-time loser"), that her arrest by Batman on the submarine at the end of the movie is the very first time that she has ever been taken into custody and that Batman has never seen Catwoman in person until Bruce Wayne's blindfold is removed at the waterfront hideout following his abduction; would an observant and seasoned crime fighting genius like Batwoman - shown at other times to be able effortlessly to see past elaborate disguises - really fail to recognize Catwoman as Lee Meriwether just because she's wearing an eye-mask...? I would go so far to say that the idea is so preposterous that it was consciously intended as a tongue-in-cheek leg-pull at the time...