Actors you wish would have been casted as villains

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Dr. Shimel

Re: Actors you wish would have been casted as villains

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Quarhog wrote:I saw the 1964 'Outer Limits' episode 'The Bellero Shield' a couple of days ago, in which the accalimed Broadway musical star Chita Rivera was cast against type as a spooky Miss Danvers-like housemaid, who pads about barefoot with a gun in her stocking top. She wears a severe beehive, a high-necked, long-sleeved shiny black dress and a key on a heavy chain around her neck; the combined effect of which was to make her strongly resemble Eartha Kitt as Catwoman when seen from the waist up. (If I knew how to attach photos I'd post one of her in the role so you'd be able to see what I mean).
Here ya go. BTW, Neil Hamilton is also in the episode.
Attachments
Rivera.jpg
Quarhog

Post by Quarhog »

Thanks!
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

High C wrote:
Alfred's Apron wrote:Shirley Jones as The Siren.
Shirley Jones obviously wouldn't have been my first choice for this role, but it's not at all far-fetched. Not only was she an accomplished singer, she was interested in playing a guest villainess, according to Dozier's correspondence.

I think, however, The Siren as portrayed by Shirley Jones would have to be written much differently from The Siren as portrayed by Joan Collins.
As much as I respect Shirley Jones as a singer/actress, she would have been the wrong choice for The Siren. Perhaps I am basing this opinion on her roles of the period (not her most famous role in her then-future), and how sultry / controlling was not in her skillset, but the Siren is just not a fit for her. Any other made-for-TV role would have been fine for her.
Beneath Wayne Manor
Bill S.C.

Post by Bill S.C. »

Based on the ability to excise the Puzzler episode from the collective memory, I would have loved to have seen Hans Conried as The Bard. A frustrated actor who is obsessed with the life and works of William Shakespeare. He begins committing crimes in Gotham City that have a distinct Shakespearean theme to them. While giving a recital at Wayne Manor, he accidentally catches a brief glimpse of the Shakespeare bust in Bruce's study and when refused the chance to study it, he decides to form a plan to steal it. He reveals his plan to Batman and Robin as he leaves them in a Shakespeare based death trap. Now Batman and Robin have double trouble; escape death and protect their secret identities.
"Oh soon we'll be out amid the cold world's strife. Soon we'll be sliding down the razor blade of life." - Tom Lehrer
Gleeps, it's Batman

Re: Actors you wish would have been cast as villains

Post by Gleeps, it's Batman »

Bill S.C. wrote:Based on the ability to excise the Puzzler episode from the collective memory, I would have loved to have seen Hans Conried as The Bard. A frustrated actor who is obsessed with the life and works of William Shakespeare. He begins committing crimes in Gotham City that have a distinct Shakespearean theme to them. While giving a recital at Wayne Manor, he accidentally catches a brief glimpse of the Shakespeare bust in Bruce's study and when refused the chance to study it, he decides to form a plan to steal it. He reveals his plan to Batman and Robin as he leaves them in a Shakespeare based death trap. Now Batman and Robin have double trouble; escape death and protect their secret identities.
I'd like to see that episode. Any fanfic writers want to write it? :)
TBolt

Post by TBolt »

that does sound pretty good, really cool casting, too.
To the Bat-Elephant!!
Gorshin Romero

Re: Actors you wish would have been cast as villains

Post by Gorshin Romero »

Gleeps, it's Batman wrote:
Bill S.C. wrote:Based on the ability to excise the Puzzler episode from the collective memory, I would have loved to have seen Hans Conried as The Bard. A frustrated actor who is obsessed with the life and works of William Shakespeare. He begins committing crimes in Gotham City that have a distinct Shakespearean theme to them. While giving a recital at Wayne Manor, he accidentally catches a brief glimpse of the Shakespeare bust in Bruce's study and when refused the chance to study it, he decides to form a plan to steal it. He reveals his plan to Batman and Robin as he leaves them in a Shakespeare based death trap. Now Batman and Robin have double trouble; escape death and protect their secret identities.
I'd like to see that episode. Any fanfic writers want to write it? :)
I was going to suggest the same thing, but I specifically would suggest it to Bill S.C. if he is interested in composing it. I would be eager to read it, but I have to pass on writing it for the following reasons:

1. I did study Shakespeare in college, but that was decades ago and I don't consider myself well-versed enough on Shakespeare to make it funny enough to pepper with Shakespearean jokes.

2. I have other villains of my own creation that I want to use in upcoming fan fiction.

3. Having completed my version of fan fiction regarding the Sea Hag, I prefer to focus now on my own ideas.

4. I have some personal things that I am currently dealing with, so fan fiction is presently on the back burner as of this writing, although I do look forward to writing some more when time allows.

As a footnote, if the series were being produced today ("Caped Crusaders" or "Batman" Season 4) then I would like to suggest as possible candidates for The Bard: Michael Caine, John Cleese, or Alan Rickman. ("By Grabthar's Hammer! What an opportunity!")

I hope everyone here is doing well these days.
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

Conreid would've made an excellent bat-villain. And a heist of the Shakespeare bust is a great idea.

For those who like the idea of Shakespeare-themed villains (aside from the Puzzler), and for fans of Vincent Price (aren't we all?), I recommend "Theatre of Blood," a campily gruesome 1973 British horror movie. Price plays a traditionalist Shakespearean actor who takes revenge on critics who dissed his performances in favor of more modern interpretations of The Bard. The gimmick is that he uses methods of murder lifted from Shakespeare's plays, and recites lines from the appropriate scenes as he dispatches the critics. Definitely too grim for Batman, but a lot of fun. As a bonus, Diana Rigg plays Price's daughter!

Cheers,

QQ
Gorshin Romero

Post by Gorshin Romero »

I remember "Theater Of Blood" and I probably have a copy of it on DVD somewhere. I vaguely recall a scene with Robert Morley and some poodles.
TBolt

Post by TBolt »

In the 66 comic, the Shakespeare bust heist already happened, The Minstrel got it.
To the Bat-Elephant!!
Bill S.C.

Post by Bill S.C. »

TBolt wrote:In the 66 comic, the Shakespeare bust heist already happened, The Minstrel got it.
That sounds pretty cool; how did the plot unfold?
"Oh soon we'll be out amid the cold world's strife. Soon we'll be sliding down the razor blade of life." - Tom Lehrer
TBolt

Post by TBolt »

Bill S.C. wrote:
TBolt wrote:In the 66 comic, the Shakespeare bust heist already happened, The Minstrel got it.
That sounds pretty cool; how did the plot unfold?
Id have to read it again, but it ended up that B & R couldn't access the Batcave without it so they had to use the prototype/ screen test costumes and a different Bat-Mobile for the story.
To the Bat-Elephant!!
Sol

Post by Sol »

Michael J. Pollard as Bat-mite.