R.I.P. Lesley Gore

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Doctor Shatterhand

R.I.P. Lesley Gore

Post by Doctor Shatterhand »

Another actress/singer has left us. Lesley Gore, who played Pussycat has passed on. She is famous for the song "It's My Party". She was 68.
NYBatFan

Re: R.I.P. Lesley Gore

Post by NYBatFan »

It's been confirmed by TMZ and other sources. I am heartbroken. At least I got to see her live and am the proud owner of several signed photos of her, including two of her as "Pussycat". A great lady of song has left us, but her music will live on, as will her "Batman" performance!
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

Lesley died of cancer at New York-Presbyterian Hospital in Manhattan.
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

RIP, Lesley.
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

I agree.
BatmanFan102

Post by BatmanFan102 »

Very sad indeed.

I drive my son nuts as usually once a day at least I'll ask him "What are you DOING Pussycat?" That line from Julie's Catwoman never gets old to me.

68, not very old. This is indeed sad to learn.

I MUST watch the Pussycat episodes later this evening.
Batman

Post by Batman »

Thank you for all the wonderful songs, Ms Gore! R.I.P.

From wikipedia...

"Gore performed on two consecutive episodes of the Batman television series (January 19 and 25, 1967), in which she guest-starred as Pussycat, one of Catwoman's minions. In the January 19 episode "That Darn Catwoman", she lip-synched to the Bob Crewe-produced "California Nights", and in the January 25 episode "Scat! Darn Catwoman" to "Maybe Now". "California Nights", which Gore recorded for her 1967 album of the same name, returned her to the upper reaches of the Hot 100."
To the Batpole!
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

"California Nights" peaked at #16 on Feb. 4, 1967. It spent 14 weeks total on the Billboard Hot 100.
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
60s TV Fan

Post by 60s TV Fan »

Sad to hear. In this day and age 68 seems too young to go, although we all know cancer strikes across all ages. A sad reminder of the passage of time, and how brief our time on earth really is.
dell

Post by dell »

How very sad.
dell
Gernot

Post by Gernot »

RIP, Lesley Gore
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

I was just thinking about the whole "Burt Ward made a play for Lesley" story. Was that from Burt's book, or did it start somewhere else? I ask because I'm fairly certain he was already dating Kathy Kersh, who he would marry a few months after the Gore episodes were filmed. So, either it was Burt again manufacturing a story or someone not familiar with the whole events of that time.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Marketing magic as noted in the 1/18/67 Boston Traveler:
Attachments
LesleyGore.jpg
LesleyGore.jpg (21.07 KiB) Viewed 9011 times
High C

Post by High C »

Very sad news. I thought that, for a non-actress, Lesley acquitted herself quite well as Pussycat. Did better as a henchmoll than some real actresses did, IMO.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

And notably, unlike many other henchmolls, she was unrepentant at the end of the episode (of course that would have taken attention away from Julie).
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."