A Batkid from the beginning.

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

pongo657

A Batkid from the beginning.

Post by pongo657 »

Hello everyone. I've been coming to this message board for months now and I finally registered and joined your group. I know, what took me so long? I consider my self a bat kid because I watched the show from the very beginning. I can still remember the promo before the show actually aired. It never actually showed Batman and Robin for more than a few seconds and never a clear shot. It did show the riddler in his elephant gas mask saying "get them boys, get them or its curtains!" Haven't seen that promo since. Anyway as a boy of 9 years old at the time, it got me so excited to see the caped crusader coming to TV. And to top it off, we had just gotten our first color TV. Once the show aired, I remember going to school every Thursday and excitedly talking about how Batman was going to get out of the trap from last nights episode. It was a great time to be a kid,especially once Batmania set in. Anyway, not to ramble on too much, I just wanted to say thank you for this site. I love reading everything on it and it brings me back to a much simpler time in my life, as I'm sure it does for many of you. I hope I have a few things to contribute myself, and thanks for letting me join. Now it's time to watch some more blu-Ray episodes. I sure hope Batman gets out of this one!
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Re: A Batkid from the beginning.

Post by Scott Sebring »

Welcome to the board!
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

Welcome
STEPhonIT

Post by STEPhonIT »

I was born in the mid 70's, so I don't truly know what was it like to be in an era where the show was originally broadcast. What was it like?

And welcome aboard!!!
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Welcome aboard from another first run old timer!! :)
You summed up the feeling of excitement perfectly!

Chuck...
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
pongo657

Post by pongo657 »

Well I'm sure there are others on here who are as old or older than me who remember what that era was like, but for me it was pure delight. When the show burst on to the scene, it wasn't long before Batmania set in. They were featured on everything from toys to bed sheets. I remember having the Batmobile as my bedspread. Every night when I turned in to bed I truly thought that I was in the car. Atomic batteries to power,turbines to speed! Batman was everywhere. Pow! Bam! Zonk! became part of our culture. It was in the same feeling when the Beatles first came to America. But for a nine year old kid at the time. even better.You would have really had to be there to truly know that feeling.
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

STEPhonIT wrote:I was born in the mid 70's, so I don't truly know what was it like to be in an era where the show was originally broadcast. What was it like?

And welcome aboard!!!
If you weren't watching Batman, you were playing Batman. If you weren't playing Batman, there's a good chance you were either asleep or your parents took away your Corgi for some dastardly reason! :P
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

Welcome Pongo657!

You perfectly summed up the era and the feelings from then. Enjoy the board and the community. :)
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
Flyinggrayson

Post by Flyinggrayson »

I was born in 1966. So my experience was syndication only but that was powerful enough. I can only imagine what it was like to experience Batmania directly. Lucky you! Very well written introduction.
burkestudio

Post by burkestudio »

Welcome! This board is a great community!!

-Jeremy
Same Bat Time! Same Bat Channel!
Technical Artist & Designer
Facebook: Burke Studio
eBay: jerburke http://www.ebay.com/usr/jerburke?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
Etsy: BurkeStudio
Instagram: BurkeStudio
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

Welcome, Pongo!
pongo657 wrote:I can still remember the promo before the show actually aired. It never actually showed Batman and Robin for more than a few seconds and never a clear shot. It did show the riddler in his elephant gas mask saying "get them boys, get them or its curtains!" Haven't seen that promo since.
Is this the promo that was left off the DVD set because they couldn't ID the voiceover guy?
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
Gernot

Post by Gernot »

<center>I was born in '62, so I can remember watching several episodes first-run in our living room in the mid-'60's. What was almost AS important as getting to watch Batman (and everything we were blessed with on Saturday morning TV) were the toys and coloring books we got on those Christmases past. Those little Ideal figures (which are making a sort of revival now), the utility belts, and plastic helmets made those days a true Golden Age. :)
pongo657

Post by pongo657 »

chrisbcritter wrote:Welcome, Pongo!
pongo657 wrote:I can still remember the promo before the show actually aired. It never actually showed Batman and Robin for more than a few seconds and never a clear shot. It did show the riddler in his elephant gas mask saying "get them boys, get them or its curtains!" Haven't seen that promo since.
Is this the promo that was left off the DVD set because they couldn't ID the voiceover guy?
I believe it probably is. I would love to see that again. I tried searching all over the web for it, but no luck.
1966.batmobile

Post by 1966.batmobile »

I too am a bat kid from the beginning, and I can tell you that Batmania was the kids version of Beatlemania. I had my bat costume, my pedal car became the Batmobile, and I craved every toy there was. One of the biggest highlights of 1966 for me was that I got to see the Batmobile at a local fair in August. I wanted to climb inside soooo bad....It wasn't until 1990 that I got to see it again (my avatar photo) and I do believe they were 2 different ones. I have been told that the 1990 one was car #3. I have never seen one since ( of the 1966) but have seen other movie versions .

I am fortunate enough to have had a few of my '60's toys saved for me, and the ones that were not saved I have either replaced, or found repros of. My office is lined with memorabilia from the 4 B's of the '60's...

Batman, Beatles, Beach Boys, and Bond, James Bond!
rajung

Post by rajung »

Sounds like we all have the same thing in common, especially if you grew up watching the program on tv when it first aired..
I originally was hooked on the TV Superman, maybe due to it on before Batman.
With my Sears or JC penney, dont remember,costume I remember being totally devastated that after numerous rehearsals and attempts, I could never get the hang of flying, even a short distance after launching off the picnic table.
In case someone is wondering, those were wooden tables that were constructed of 2 x 4 lumber and placed in your back yard and usually they were heavily used on Sundays by all your relatives for family get together.Switched to Batman as my favorite Superhero when he arrived due to being a little more accomplishable as far as imitation.Back sometime around 1970, there was a local Ford dealership that had a Bat on display.
All I remember is looking at the Batphone and saying to myself, this is not right! It was a red plastic phone like something from Mattel.Took pictures with a Kodak camera but my dad lost the whole works somewhere.
Bummer, always think about that and wonder which car that might have been.
I remember him shaking his head,and thinking I was nuts over being possessed about the show.
Now I have a laugh about my older kids after suffering through Barney-the big red Dog and Teletubbies.