An observation about Siren...

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

1966.batmobile

An observation about Siren...

Post by 1966.batmobile »

I am watching the Siren episode right now and made an observation from a musician's point of view. Siren stated that she hits the note two octaves above high C ( I'm assuming she means C8 on a piano) BUT....

Alas, the annoying and usually held too long note she hits is F# ! :o
Jimmy L. 66

Re: An observation about Siren...

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

they might have taken it out in post and replaced with F#-
otherwise a whole nation of me would be under her spell....
dell

Post by dell »

I can't argue with you as I know nothing about music. She could have sung a low B for all I know.
dell
High C

Post by High C »

dell wrote:I can't argue with you as I know nothing about music. She could have sung a low B for all I know.
This is somewhat of a tangent but regarding the note, I think you once said the phone lines of the 1960s weren't equipped to handle such a sound as well as today's phone lines, and that your theory was that Siren's hypnotic note probably shouldn't have worked over the phone in 1967. Correct?
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

It could be in the octave range of two octaves above High C without being the C-note itself, perhaps?
High C

Post by High C »

This is all very interesting to me. I never knew what note that tone was.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
dell

Post by dell »

High C wrote:This is somewhat of a tangent but regarding the note, I think you once said the phone lines of the 1960s weren't equipped to handle such a sound as well as today's phone lines, and that your theory was that Siren's hypnotic note probably shouldn't have worked over the phone in 1967. Correct?
You are correct, but even modern phones aren't much better. Siren's special note wouldn't work with the phones in 1968 or with the phones today. I am an engineer so you're going to get a bunch of data - hang on!

From various websites: Sounds hard by people is generally accepted as being between 20 Hertz (Hz)and 20,000 Hz. Children can often hear up to 30,000 Hz. Below 20 Hz is often felt more than heard.

To put it in musical terms, Barry White is on the low end. Siren's special note is near the upper end of the audible range.

Telephones can handle sound in the range of 300 Hz to 3,000 Hz. If you go much above 3,000 the phone won't "hear" it and won't send it to the other person.

Here is some more info on sound frequencies.
16 to 32Hz: 1st Octave: The human threshold of hearing, and the lowest pedal notes of a pipe organ.
32 to 512Hz: 2nd to 5th Octaves: Rhythm frequencies, where the lower and upper bass notes lie.
512 to 2,048Hz: 6th to 7th Octaves: Defines human speech intelligibility, gives a horn-like or tinny quality to sound.
2,048 to 8,192Hz: 8th to 9th Octaves: Gives presence to speech, where labial and fricative sounds lie.
8,192 to 16,384Hz: 10th Octave: Brilliance, the sounds of bells and the ringing of cymbals and sibilance in speech.
dell
Lord Death Man

Post by Lord Death Man »

But of course we all know real science does not apply in Gotham City. Such as when Batman turns his 'tiger skull splitter' communicator on the tiger in the first Catwoman episodes, the decibels produced are ridiculously above what is even measurable, and would basically have obliterated Gotham City and everything around it for hundreds of miles-if not the world and the universe.
He flies and fights-BATMAN!
Purity and virtue-BATMAN!
Cowards run away!
Batman saves the day!
Also, Boy Wonder Robin.
Batman and Robin-caped crusaders at night!
BIFF! POW! BAM! BATMAN!
High C

Post by High C »

dell wrote:
High C wrote:This is somewhat of a tangent but regarding the note, I think you once said the phone lines of the 1960s weren't equipped to handle such a sound as well as today's phone lines, and that your theory was that Siren's hypnotic note probably shouldn't have worked over the phone in 1967. Correct?
You are correct, but even modern phones aren't much better. Siren's special note wouldn't work with the phones in 1968 or with the phones today. I am an engineer so you're going to get a bunch of data - hang on!

From various websites: Sounds hard by people is generally accepted as being between 20 Hertz (Hz)and 20,000 Hz. Children can often hear up to 30,000 Hz. Below 20 Hz is often felt more than heard.

To put it in musical terms, Barry White is on the low end. Siren's special note is near the upper end of the audible range.
I'm assuming that, if we tried to explain Siren's note in some kind of pseudo-scientific way, it works via frequency, not loudness.

John Mack

Post by John Mack »

We're actually looking at this seriously? I need a Motrin. :?

John
Music. BAT! Music.
BatmanFan102

Post by BatmanFan102 »

So did Siren's victims after she hit that high note LOL
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

Batguitarist wrote:We're actually looking at this seriously? I need a Motrin. :?
John
I don't see what's out of line about having a discussion on this point in the same way Trekkies have spent decades having discussions about the principles of a scientific absurdity, faster-than-light speed (without which, you have no series).
High C

Post by High C »

epaddon wrote:
Batguitarist wrote:We're actually looking at this seriously? I need a Motrin. :?
John
I don't see what's out of line about having a discussion on this point in the same way Trekkies have spent decades having discussions about the principles of a scientific absurdity, faster-than-light speed (without which, you have no series).
Agreed. Beats discussing whether Batman's belt-buckle insignia was 1/8th of an inch in diameter off in the tag scene of Scat, Darn Catwoman.

Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

High C wrote:Agreed. Beats discussing whether Batman's belt-buckle insignia was 1/8th of an inch in diameter off in the tag scene of Scat, Darn Catwoman.
Depends on what floats your boat.

Mmmmm......buuuuuuuuckles. :lol:
Lee Kirkham

Post by Lee Kirkham »

And now for the post that is most relevant to the other posts without being particularly relevant to the original subject:

For you musicians out there, if you ever need to tune your instrument but don't have a proper tuner, just whip out your phone and listen to the dial tone. Dial tone is basically an "F" note, and go from there! Thank you siren.

And even less relevant...

Siren's favorite pop song must have been "Barbara Ann" by the Beach Boys as it was performed in F# as well!
I find you to be odious, abhorrent and insegrevious.