Did anybody notice...???

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Yellow Oval

Re: Did anybody notice...???

Post by Yellow Oval »

A. Pennyworth wrote:Here is your mystery lady. Any other episodes she was in?
Thanks a million, A. Pennyworth, for the proof in those images. I still believe she was tied to the production somehow and I'd love to know who she is as she intrigues me being seen over and over again! :shock:
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

wally wingert wrote:I finished off the first season tonight with the Penguin episode. A few quick observations...
1) For a split second you can see the little safety pin on the back of Adam's cape that's attached to the fish line that attaches between the sides of his cape.
2) Had the sensors seen this episode in Blu Ray, I'm sure a few scenes would have been cut. Particularly a few scenes featuring Finella in her bathing suit. (I'll say no more on that!)
3) When Finella pops out of the cake, I laughed to myself that the millionaires were "making it rain," to use a modern day colloquialism.
4) We get to see Alfred in a tuxedo again during the millionaires dinner at Wayne Manor during the final scene.
5) These henchmen were some of the oddest looking henchmen of the entire series. Octopus with his bald cap and bare feet, and Shark with his arched eyebrows and droopy eyes.
6) Finella tries to turn the Penguin's attention toward her with her hand and bends Burgess' foam latex nose a little in the process.
Wally,

On 1) did he always have that line holding the cape edges in addition to the snaps on the back of his shirt holding the cape in place?

Regarding 2) I know exactly what you are saying. ;)

Finally, with respect to 5), I'm not sure if everyone was aware that Victor Lundin played the bizarre looking goon Octopus and also played Chief Standing Pat as part of Shame's gang in Season 3.

Y.O.
Austinunc

Post by Austinunc »

Was it just me or in the 2nd mad hatter episode of season 2 did it look like adam actually did quite a bit of stunt work on the water tower scene?
wally wingert

Post by wally wingert »

Y.O. - Jan Kemp once told me that they took little gold safety pins and pinned them to the cape and ran a small piece of fish line across Adam and Burt's shoulders to keep their capes back. Sometimes if Adam and Burt were moving around the snaps wouldn't hold and the cape would come down, thus ruining the shot. So the fish line gave it a little extra assurance.

Thanks! I'll make sure to look for Victor later in the set!
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

Thanks Wally,

I did not know that. As Stan says at the end of every South Park episode - "I learned something today!" :lol:

I'll have to watch for those pins and lines.

Yellow Oval
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

wally wingert wrote:I just got done watching the Bookworm episode and I can see now why the character only lasted one episode. Not a very good villain I'm afraid. However, it was the first appearance of the "curved nose, checkmark eyebrow movie cowl." When Batman and Robin are in the Batcave he swaps cowls to the new one which will be seen almost exclusively from the feature film well into second season. I guess the one with the extended, painted ears was starting to turn purple and they had to start working in the new one.

This was also the first episode to feature a window cameo. And the famous blue van had TWO appearances in this one! The TV Van, and the Batmobile parachute pick-up service.

You'd think after having the Batmobile stolen so many times before (Riddler, Penguin, Tut, etc.) Batman would have figured out a fool-proof theft device by the time Bookworm rolled around. haha

And when Lydia is being interrogated in the Batcave, the 3 beeps that sound when she's telling the truth are standard ADR beeps. ADR stands for additional dialogue recording, and when an actor has to go into a recording studio and re-do lines of dialogue, those 3 beeps (or "3 pop" as its called in the business) gives the actor their "ready-set-go" cue for when the line they need to re-record is coming up. I guess since the sound mixer had them handy, he just threw them in.

But when I heard them my ears perked up, as I'm used to hearing them a lot in my biz.
This episode is on ME-TV this Saturday night, so PAY ATTENTION CITIZENS!!! :lol:
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

Did anybody notice it never rains or snows, but it's always sunny in Gotham City? I want to live there!
Commodore Schmidlapp

Post by Commodore Schmidlapp »

Austinunc wrote:Was it just me or in the 2nd mad hatter episode of season 2 did it look like adam actually did quite a bit of stunt work on the water tower scene?
I noticed that, too.

I know nothing about how TV shows are made, but that whole water tower fight scene looks great. But I can't imagine they actually went up on a water tower to film that.

Again I am completely ignorant on the subject, and I have read some posters here that are in the industry. I would love to hear how that was filmed, but I agree - a lot of it does appear to be Adam.
Gleeps, it's Batman

Post by Gleeps, it's Batman »

Yellow Oval wrote:Did anybody notice it never rains or snows, but it's always sunny in Gotham City? I want to live there!
Yeah, that open Batmobile would never survive on the East Coast, where Gotham City SHOULD be. Good ol' sunny California. ;) I did notice one or two episodes where the streets were wet on the Warner Bros backlot as the Batmobile was driving through. I believe one of them was when the Batmobile was proceeding to the spot where it would save them after they were catapulted. Don't remember what the other ep might be offhand, but I think I did notice wet streets in another ep.

Commodore Schmidlapp wrote:
Austinunc wrote:Was it just me or in the 2nd mad hatter episode of season 2 did it look like adam actually did quite a bit of stunt work on the water tower scene?
I noticed that, too.

I know nothing about how TV shows are made, but that whole water tower fight scene looks great. But I can't imagine they actually went up on a water tower to film that.

Again I am completely ignorant on the subject, and I have read some posters here that are in the industry. I would love to hear how that was filmed, but I agree - a lot of it does appear to be Adam.
I'd also like to hear what someone in the industry has to say. I haven't looked at that episode lately, but I presume they built a replica of the top of the tower for the actors to fight on. And I presume that any far shots of the real tower would use stuntmen. I'm guessing one clue would be the sky in the background, whether it looks real with clouds or is a uniform blue color, indicating either a backdrop, or use of a green screen where blue sky is inserted later. Hmm, here's another question for any industry insiders. Would parts of Robin disappear if a green screen were used in this show? LOL
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Gleeps, it's Batman wrote:
Yellow Oval wrote:Did anybody notice it never rains or snows, but it's always sunny in Gotham City? I want to live there!
Yeah, that open Batmobile would never survive on the East Coast, where Gotham City SHOULD be. Good ol' sunny California. ;) I did notice one or two episodes where the streets were wet on the Warner Bros backlot as the Batmobile was driving through. I believe one of them was when the Batmobile was proceeding to the spot where it would save them after they were catapulted. Don't remember what the other ep might be offhand, but I think I did notice wet streets in another ep.

The episode you're referencing is a three-parter from Season Two, "Penguins A Girl's Best Friend/Penguin Sets A Trend/Penguins Distastrous End"
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

A third season episode is the one that (surprise) reuses the Batmobile driving through a wet Gotham City. I think it might be the one where Louie the Lilac kidnaps Bruce and Dick.

Ironically, the only time it apparently rained on camera was during the S1 wedding ruse between Penguin and Sophia Starr.
Batman42

Post by Batman42 »

yea I saw the black rope as well and I think you do see it in the first episode as well Yellow Oval

Andrew UK
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

I always found it amusing that during the course of the BatFight on the water tower, tens of thousands of people allegedly rushed to some dumpy looking housing development to cheer the Duo's "resurrection." :lol:
Mr.Freeze

Post by Mr.Freeze »

It DID rain in the Joker/Eggbert episode (Eggbert was Alfreds cousin or something) ;)
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Mr.Freeze wrote:It DID rain in the Joker/Eggbert episode (Eggbert was Alfreds cousin or something) ;)
The second season Key Caper