Did anybody notice...???

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Tom1980

Re: Did anybody notice...???

Post by Tom1980 »

wally wingert wrote:Do you see that Henchman standing to the far left in the Joker/Penguin screenshot? That's Charles Picerni. His brother was an actor Paul Picerni, from the original "House of Wax." Chuck played a silent henchman in the Clock King episode.
Paul also played one of Catwoman's gang in "Goes to College".

But Charles was in a load of Bat episodes, you could make a list of them all.

Of the top of my head, he was in:
Fine Feathered Finks (henchman Swoop)
Clock King (2nd henchman)
Contaminated Cowl (3rd henchman)
Zodiac Crimes (henchman Uranus) - must have got out of jail quick, as this was the next episode after Mad Hatter
I think he was also in the Minerva episode.

He also appeared a few times as the stunt double. One's I've spotted were:
Minstrel's Shakedown (during final fight, henchman in orange)
Joker's Last Laugh (doubled Boff or Yock)
The Great Train Robbery (doubled Shame)

Any others?

Also, the 3rd henchman working for Clock King turned up later as the 3rd henchman working for John Astin's Riddler. Unfortunately his brawling skills had not improved in between.
wally wingert

Post by wally wingert »

Good eye, Tom! Darn good eye!

Frankly I've been having a hard time muddling through the second season episodes. Archer, Minstrel, Clock King...all have been almost unwatchable. But the Chandell episode is probably the most embarrassing hour of vintage television I've ever seen. Awful in so many ways, and none of them good. There are only "three" good things about that episode, and I'll let you guess who...ahem...I mean WHAT they are. But on to cowls...

Sometimes they'll change cowls in the same scene. When Batman goes into the piano roll punching machine he's wearing a newly made "tapered brow" cowl (based on the one from the first season no doubt) but when he emerges from the other end he's wearing the movie cowl.

This newly covered "tapered brow" cowl they made looks a lot like the one he wore in season one (False Face, etc.) with a few differences. The nose line isn't crooked like the first season one. And the outline on the sides of the black face shadow is more rounded, and doesn't taper in at the middle and flare back out at the bottoms. Also, the ears weren't discs any more. They were cleaner and sharper.

But the phenomenon I'm noticing more than anything else in the Blu Ray are a bunch of little vertical lines extending up from the paint job on the top of the black paint on the face area. Was this a studio artist's attempt at copying the feathered shading from the comic book cowls? (Noticeable on the animated Batman in the opening credits)

They also have been using what I call the "curly Q" cowl, where it looks like they tried to make it look like the movie cowl, but the eyebrows are too close together and are more curly Q'd on the inside tips. This particular cowl also has a nasty bubble on the left seam just a little bit above Adam's left eyehole.

Fascinating stuff! I'm noticing sometimes that they'll use 3 different cowls per episode! Batman will leave the Batcave wearing the movie cowl, but will show up in Gordon's office wearing the arched eyebrow cowl with the straight nose lines. (We have GOT to come up with specific identifiers for each of these cowls so we're all on the same page...hahaha)
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Ha! I was pointing out the cowl eyebrow change mid scene to my wife and she was looking at me like I'm crazy (I am). We definitely need to classify these Wally! Let's pull an all nighter and make it happen!
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

wally wingert wrote:Good eye, Tom! Darn good eye!

Frankly I've been having a hard time muddling through the second season episodes. Archer, Minstrel, Clock King...all have been almost unwatchable. But the Chandell episode is probably the most embarrassing hour of vintage television I've ever seen. Awful in so many ways, and none of them good. There are only "three" good things about that episode, and I'll let you guess who...ahem...I mean WHAT they are. But on to cowls...

Sometimes they'll change cowls in the same scene. When Batman goes into the piano roll punching machine he's wearing a newly made "tapered brow" cowl (based on the one from the first season no doubt) but when he emerges from the other end he's wearing the movie cowl.

This newly covered "tapered brow" cowl they made looks a lot like the one he wore in season one (False Face, etc.) with a few differences. The nose line isn't crooked like the first season one. And the outline on the sides of the black face shadow is more rounded, and doesn't taper in at the middle and flare back out at the bottoms. Also, the ears weren't discs any more. They were cleaner and sharper.

But the phenomenon I'm noticing more than anything else in the Blu Ray are a bunch of little vertical lines extending up from the paint job on the top of the black paint on the face area. Was this a studio artist's attempt at copying the feathered shading from the comic book cowls? (Noticeable on the animated Batman in the opening credits)

They also have been using what I call the "curly Q" cowl, where it looks like they tried to make it look like the movie cowl, but the eyebrows are too close together and are more curly Q'd on the inside tips. This particular cowl also has a nasty bubble on the left seam just a little bit above Adam's left eyehole.

Fascinating stuff! I'm noticing sometimes that they'll use 3 different cowls per episode! Batman will leave the Batcave wearing the movie cowl, but will show up in Gordon's office wearing the arched eyebrow cowl with the straight nose lines. (We have GOT to come up with specific identifiers for each of these cowls so we're all on the same page...hahaha)
Lucky you! You get to see the Liberace episode on Saturday night when ME-TV shows it. :lol:
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

When Alfred switches places with Batman in jail, Catwoman goes to college, he covers his mustache with flesh make up - ala Mr. Romero.
Also in the Sherlock Homes Model home, there is a Joker bust painted bronze.
WayneGrayson

Post by WayneGrayson »

robinboyblunderer wrote:He had Bat-X on the windshields; the water just slid off the glass.
Exactly - that's how the Joker's bullets bounced off the windshield in The Zodiac Crimes, but it could only withstand so much because "the bullets started getting thicker" - o-KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY
wally wingert

Post by wally wingert »

batrunner1966 wrote: there is a Joker bust painted bronze.
Keep a close eye peeled. That friggin' Joker bust shows up EVERYWHERE! It's in the office of the Wall Street cronies in the Minstrel episode! And then showed up again a few episodes later. hahaha! The Joker's last laugh!
Tom1980

Post by Tom1980 »

wally wingert wrote:Frankly I've been having a hard time muddling through the second season episodes. Archer, Minstrel, Clock King...all have been almost unwatchable.
I too have a few episodes I'm not in a hurry to watch again, but in a way it keeps the series a bit fresh. Over several weeks I watched 90% of the blu-ray set from start to finish, now I can dip into episodes that seem quite new. Even if they are bad, they are still good to watch.

Last night was Dr Cassandra. I know the end fight was cut for budget reasons, but in a way the alternate was really quite funny and clever. And when Batman was in the library and pulled out his 'mobile Bat-phone' - we all know it was meant to be a joke, but did they realise it was also a very accurate prediction of future technology?
wally wingert

Post by wally wingert »

I just got done watching the Otto-Freeze episode and I must say it's a pinnacle of second season episodes so far. I always knew he was my favorite Freeze, and that I liked that episode a lot...but WOW! in Blu Ray it was like seeing it for the first time.

First off, Max Hodge's script was sensational. Except for the obvious overuse of Freeze's catchphrase, it was a great script. If you created a drinking game where you took a shot every time Freeze said "Wild!" you'd be under the table by the first commercial break. But all that aside, it was a terrific episode.

The sets were remarkable, and some of the best in the series. Freeze's lair was amazing (the colors!) and seeing the backyard of Wayne Manor was tremendous. But the usage of lighting in this episode was some of the best in the series. And turning Commissioner Gordon's office into a frozen tundra must've taken the crew several days to clean and return to normal!

I wonder why Burt had his right forearm bandaged at the beginning of the episode. He was covering it up with his cape a few times, and there were a few times you could see the bandage very plainly.

Aside from having what was possibly the oldest beauty queen in pageant history (was she 50??!!) the episode quickly elevated itself into my favorites category! And Otto's make-up looked amazing! And the hi def is so clear you can see the "beauty queen's" wig lace just below the hairline.

I know that the consensus of the entire crew (Adam included) was that they didn't enjoy Otto's presence on the set very much. But you never would have known there was trouble behind-the-scenes by the product ON screen. It all worked very well.

And I'm starting to like that new tapered brow cowl quite a bit. Gorgeous! Burt's vest looked "redder" in this episode than in other episodes. Overall the colors were quite dazzling.

And..."little boy's boo"...HILARIOUS!

Thoughts anyone?
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

wally wingert wrote:I just got done watching the Otto-Freeze episode and I must say it's a pinnacle of second season episodes so far. I always knew he was my favorite Freeze, and that I liked that episode a lot...but WOW! in Blu Ray it was like seeing it for the first time.

First off, Max Hodge's script was sensational. Except for the obvious overuse of Freeze's catchphrase, it was a great script. If you created a drinking game where you took a shot every time Freeze said "Wild!" you'd be under the table by the first commercial break. But all that aside, it was a terrific episode.

The sets were remarkable, and some of the best in the series. Freeze's lair was amazing (the colors!) and seeing the backyard of Wayne Manor was tremendous. But the usage of lighting in this episode was some of the best in the series. And turning Commissioner Gordon's office into a frozen tundra must've taken the crew several days to clean and return to normal!

I wonder why Burt had his right forearm bandaged at the beginning of the episode. He was covering it up with his cape a few times, and there were a few times you could see the bandage very plainly.

Aside from having what was possibly the oldest beauty queen in pageant history (was she 50??!!) the episode quickly elevated itself into my favorites category! And Otto's make-up looked amazing! And the hi def is so clear you can see the "beauty queen's" wig lace just below the hairline.

I know that the consensus of the entire crew (Adam included) was that they didn't enjoy Otto's presence on the set very much. But you never would have known there was trouble behind-the-scenes by the product ON screen. It all worked very well.

And I'm starting to like that new tapered brow cowl quite a bit. Gorgeous! Burt's vest looked "redder" in this episode than in other episodes. Overall the colors were quite dazzling.

And..."little boy's boo"...HILARIOUS!

Thoughts anyone?
Burt's arm had been burned when they had filmed a later scene (since they didn't get filmed in order)--where the Duo gets out of the locked cage by exploding the lock off. Burt was obviously a little too close to the action.

I believe Otto said, "Vild!" 21 times (14 in the first part, seven times in the conclusion). In addition, Gordon says it once and Dozier's narration also includes it, jokingly.

Dee Hartford was a little long-in-the-tooth for the female/villain role, comparatively speaking, though it wasn't as a moll this time. Most of the roles that emphasized eye candy went to women in their 20's. Dee was 38 when the episodes were filmed.
wally wingert

Post by wally wingert »

38's not bad at all, but a bit too old to play a beauty queen. I would have preferred her to play the gossip columnist instead. Maybe casting older for the beauty queen role was a conscious decision by producers. Having an old letch like Freeze keeping a 21 year old in a cage would have been REALLY creepy!

But then again, perhaps Dee was dating one of the producers at the time and...well... :D
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

True. I think a seasoned beauty queen who had battled her way through a bunch of pageants was in this case a good choice. And Dee Hartford -- who did 'Lost in Space' and a lot of TV at around that time was gorgeous. To my mature eyes at least. :) She had an unattainable "out of our league" quality. For me she worked in the part. I believe her sister was married to Groucho. :shock: Terry Moore was about the same age, but still looked girlish in her Batman episodes. But she was terrible! On the other hand, Barbara Nichols (The Archer) and Barbara Stuart (The Puzzler) looked ready for social security! Milfs before the term was invented, I suppose.

ImageImageImage
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

Anybody know if someone has attempted to do a replica of the Bat-cart pictured above?
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
Tom1980

Post by Tom1980 »

Progress Pigment wrote:On the other hand, Barbara Nichols (The Archer) and Barbara Stuart (The Puzzler) looked ready for social security! Milfs before the term was invented, I suppose.
I'd agree with the second of them, part of the plot involved her wanting to become a movie star, so a younger actress would have fitted in better.

But I have no problem with Maid Marilyn, I think she was very good. Archer himself was getting on a bit, as was his Friar Tuck. And there is a line from Marilyn that they came from the same neighbourhood.

But she spoiled everything handing out those two swords to B&R during the end battle, Archer might have gotten away.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Had to laugh while watching the Liberace episodes last night, specifically about the scene where Aunt Harriet is holding a gun on evil brother Harry after uncovering his plot. After she lectures him, he responds with contempt, and that's followed by her being overcome with the ear-splitting noise that knocks her out. Despite that contempt he shows, he makes sure to grab her and gently lay her on the steps--lest she crack her skull while falling. :lol: