Did anybody notice...???

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

wally wingert

Did anybody notice...???

Post by wally wingert »

...that when Robin is being carried by the Riddler's henchman from the sparking Batmobile in the first episode, Robin's cape is falling off? But when they cut to the next scene the cape is back on?

I love watching this in Blu Ray (I just started in on episode 1, believe it or not!) and I'm going to have fun spotting all of the little ditties I never noticed before. More to come...
dell

Re: Did anybody notice...???

Post by dell »

Good catch.

Here's a heads up for the first Catwoman episode; well, actually the second episode. Can you spot two inconsistencies when Robin is on the board over the tiger pit?

I'll let people have fun looking for them instead of telling you what they are right now. PM me if you find them or want to know what they are.
dell
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

---Yeah, actually I did notice his cape falling off.

---Is one of them the strap around Robin when he's on the board, that later disappears?
---Does his arm placement change, too?

It's been a while since I've seen these...
wally wingert

Post by wally wingert »

I also liked how Batman switched cowls from scene to scene in the first Penguin episode. They started with that ugly, wrinkly cowl, then went back to the pilot cowl for a few scenes. And the cylinders on Robin's utility belt seemed to move around. On his right side they were a lot closer to the buckle, but on his left side they were far away from the buckle.

The thing that tickled me is when the Penguin opens up the face plate of the knight in the foyer of Wane Manor after he gasses Batman, Adam is clearly not wearing an actual cowl. It looks like they laid a piece of fabric over his face and hastily painted it to look like the cowl's front. Probably couldn't fit the cowl in the helmet! Hilarious!

Watch when Batman is sucked to the Penguin's magnet...notice that yellow flap that's peeking up over the top of his utility belt in the back? I wonder if that was the overlapped leather from the attachment in the back?

Another thing I've never noticed before, is how grainy the bat emblem on his chest is. It's almost as if they silk screened the logo directly on to his leotard for the first few episodes. It'll be interesting to see when they go with the sticker.

If you can't tell, I'm having a BLAST watching these so far! It's like seeing them new all over again!
LA Batfan

Post by LA Batfan »

Yes, Wally! And watch when they go to the sticker, they stick it on top of the silk-screened emblem on the tights. You can see some of the silk-screened paint sticking out from under the decal. Love these Blu-Rays!
wally wingert

Post by wally wingert »

Hey Ralph...any chance we'll be seeing YOU in a deluxe replica Batman costume any time soon??? :P That would be awesome!

If you've never done it, it's something you should do at least once in your life. The feeling is indescribable! Then you can put it on a mannequin in your Ralph-Cave for permanent display!
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

LA Batfan wrote:Yes, Wally! And watch when they go to the sticker, they stick it on top of the silk-screened emblem on the tights. You can see some of the silk-screened paint sticking out from under the decal. Love these Blu-Rays!
I couldn't agree more! The detail in the fabrics etc is so pronounced that there are moments where it feels like you could reach into the screen and touch things.
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

wally wingert wrote: If you've never done it, it's something you should do at least once in your life. The feeling is indescribable! Then you can put it on a mannequin in your Ralph-Cave for permanent display!

Or wear it around the house every day! (?) ;)
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
wally wingert

Post by wally wingert »

In the first Joker episode I noticed that, during the christening of the ocean liner scene, Burt Ward is MIA. Robin keeps his back to the camera the whole time because the wearer of the Robin costume is Victor! (I wonder where Burt was for that scene?) Burt's lines are all shot in reverse cutaways.

Also, in the first Mr. Freeze episode, I never noticed the sound effect after Princess Sandra's servant hits the ground after being frozen. It's a shattering sound, like glass breaking. This would lead one to believe that the frozen servant shattered into a million ice cubes when he hit the floor. That would give the mousey assistant reason to faint when she witnesses his demise.

But Princess Sandra mentions at the baseball game later that she was thankful that Batman, Robin and her servant all survived. So...

But I can't stop looking at the cowl from the Freeze episode. Tis a gorgeous thing indeed! And during the episode I noticed that they were still waffling between the silk screened bat emblem on the leotard, and the sticker. It would change throughout the episodes!

On to Zelda next!
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

wally wingert wrote:(I wonder where Burt was for that scene?)
Probably the hospital tending wounds from an earlier scene! :lol:
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
dell

Post by dell »

wally wingert wrote:Also, in the first Mr. Freeze episode, I never noticed the sound effect after Princess Sandra's servant hits the ground after being frozen. It's a shattering sound, like glass breaking. This would lead one to believe that the frozen servant shattered into a million ice cubes when he hit the floor.
Here is my theory. Since they claim the servant survived, the shatter sound effect could be explained away by saying that a light layer of frost formed over the freeze victim and this is what shattered when he hit the floor. Lame, but it is an answer.
dell
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

dell wrote:
wally wingert wrote:Also, in the first Mr. Freeze episode, I never noticed the sound effect after Princess Sandra's servant hits the ground after being frozen. It's a shattering sound, like glass breaking. This would lead one to believe that the frozen servant shattered into a million ice cubes when he hit the floor.
Here is my theory. Since they claim the servant survived, the shatter sound effect could be explained away by saying that a light layer of frost formed over the freeze victim and this is what shattered when he hit the floor. Lame, but it is an answer.
It could be hit a table off camera and broke a vase, or maybe Dr. Vince got the ice cubes and glued them back together.

I really believe the sound was supposed to be the servant shattering. I think TPTB backed off and added the line in part two so nobody got killed. The part about the servant sounds hastily added on.
Austinunc

Post by Austinunc »

Why is it that in most episodes that adam never drives the bat mobile? It's always the stunt double and then the camera pans away and then adam and Burt appear in the car.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Austinunc wrote:Why is it that in most episodes that adam never drives the bat mobile? It's always the stunt double and then the camera pans away and then adam and Burt appear in the car.
Adam needed to wear glasses. Especially when driving. I suppose contacts didn't work for him being very uncomfortable in the 60's (basically slabs of glass at that point OUCH!) Here he is with Jill St. John.

John
Attachments
adam west jill saint john 1966 horn-rim glasses.jpg
adam west jill saint john 1966 horn-rim glasses.jpg (48.28 KiB) Viewed 12149 times
Music. BAT! Music.
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

wally wingert wrote:In the first Joker episode I noticed that, during the christening of the ocean liner scene, Burt Ward is MIA. Robin keeps his back to the camera the whole time because the wearer of the Robin costume is Victor! (I wonder where Burt was for that scene?) Burt's lines are all shot in reverse cutaways.
Wally, I noticed that in the beginning of the episode in Gordon's office Robin sounds a little plugged up and it sounds even worse in the museum when he looks at the Joker bust and says, "It sure looks lifelike." I'll wager he was off after those initial scenes with a bad cold.

What I also noticed was right after the museum fight, when Joker's men are carrying Batman and Robin out, Batman is wearing a newer belt with the inverted pull-tab snaps. On the close-up as he reaches for the smoke pellet the pouch has reverted to the original pull-over top cover snap, but it's upside down here allowing Batman to drop the pellet downward into his hand. When he frees himself it's back to the newer belt.

Talking belts, in Season 2 in the episode where Catwoman goes to college, when she has her henchman dress up like Batman he walks out wearing the utility belt upside down! As Bugs Bunny would say - "What a maroon!" :lol:

Returning to Season 1, at the beginning of the premiere Joker episode - The Joker Is Wild - when Bruce and Dick slide down the Bat-poles, the camera is in too close and a black rope attached to the bookcase at the top is in clear view as it pulls the bookcase back closed. So much for the "automatic system".

Lastly (for the moment), in another episode - also season 1 - where Riddler steals the beauty queen's crown, after he throws the fake crown back to Batman and disappears down the manhole Batman starts to drive the Batmobile away and forgets to lower the Bat-antennae as it swings precariously back and forth. I always keep wondering if he would notice before driving out the garage entrance and snapping it off?

By the way, as an aside, I'm not 100% positive, but when Otto Preminger's Mr. Freeze raids the dressing room of another beauty contest, one of the contestants has short brown hair and looks A LOT like the wife of the funny drunk who was watching the TV commenting on the Joker's Pagliacci encounter with Batman and Robin. :o
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"