Did anybody notice...???

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Progress Pigment

Re: Did anybody notice...???

Post by Progress Pigment »

Tom1980 wrote:
High C wrote:Gil Perkins was paid only $305 for non-speaking Cauliflower.
Apparantly he was in a large number of films/TV series, we could start a thread on Gil Perkins appearances. As a young man he was in King Kong, but not been able to spot him.
I'd be down for that!

Gil Perkins as 'Sailor' in King Kong.

Gil Perkins as "Henchman" in Batman.

Gil Perkins as "Bluebeard" in Batman: The Movie.

Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Tom1980 wrote:
Gil did have a line encouraging the Riddler in the ring, but this may have been an ad-lib.

Gil was also one of Mad Hatter's season one henchmen. Again he didn't have many lines, but he did however appear to do his own stunts during the fights, while Roland La Starza was doubled.

He never seemed to have a very strong voice, I thought that was why he had few lines?

Apparantly he was in a large number of films/TV series, we could start a thread on Gil Perkins appearances. As a young man he was in King Kong, but not been able to spot him.
Ironically, according to IMDB, Perkins' last role was as a cornerman in Raging Bull.
wally wingert

Post by wally wingert »

Wasn't he the cowboy in the False Face episode who tells the camera they better round up a posse?
wally wingert

Post by wally wingert »

By the way...check out "The Joker's Last Laugh" and watch the scene where a destitute Bruce Wayne comes to Mr. Whiteface for financial help.

Cesar almost slips and calls him "Mr. West," then he stumbles and calls him "Mr. Wayne." They left it in!

And this is the first time I've noticed the newer, rounder R on Robin's vest, though I may have spotted it briefly in a previous episode.
dell

Post by dell »

Commodore Schmidlapp wrote: I'm no expert on how Hollywood works, but it seems they likely could have paid the guy who was Wipe Out the same pay as an extra or not much more.

When I re-watched it, it was almost weird seeing the two of them always working together, but only one of them talking.
You still see this all the time today. A good place to catch it is when a regular cast member on a TV show interacts with a waitress, hotel clerk, store salesperson, or other person doing a service job. Often the regular will say a lot to the person, but the other person doesn't say a word in response. It is now something my wife and I make fun of. When the "star" finishes their lines telling the person what they want them to do we always add, "but don't say anything because we would have to pay you more!"
dell
wally wingert

Post by wally wingert »

In showbiz they call that being a "Featured Extra." No lines, but you get to be up front interacting with the stars of the show.
Commodore Schmidlapp

Post by Commodore Schmidlapp »

High C wrote:
Commodore Schmidlapp wrote:Joker had two henchmen, Wipe Out and Riptide. Despite them both being in the episode the same amount, only Riptide has any speaking lines, and therefore only he is listed in the credits.

I'm no expert on how Hollywood works, but it seems they likely could have paid the guy who was Wipe Out the same pay as an extra or not much more.

When I re-watched it, it was almost weird seeing the two of them always working together, but only one of them talking.
Yes, you are exactly right. According to Dozier's records, Skip Ward, who played Riptide, was paid $500. Ron Burke, who had no lines as Wipeout, got $286.

Similarly, in Ring Around the Riddler, Nicholas Georgiade got $500 for the part of Kayo, while Gil Perkins was paid only $305 for non-speaking Cauliflower.

And yeah, it does look weird.
Awesome info - thanks!

I could be wrong, but to my eyes that looks like Ron Burke in another non-speaking part as Dick Grayson's friend at the beginning of Louie's Lethal Lilac Time.

I guess all things considered, $286 for what was likely a single day's work wasn't that bad back in the sixties.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Commodore Schmidlapp wrote:
High C wrote:
Commodore Schmidlapp wrote:Joker had two henchmen, Wipe Out and Riptide. Despite them both being in the episode the same amount, only Riptide has any speaking lines, and therefore only he is listed in the credits.

I'm no expert on how Hollywood works, but it seems they likely could have paid the guy who was Wipe Out the same pay as an extra or not much more.

Yes, you are exactly right. According to Dozier's records, Skip Ward, who played Riptide, was paid $500. Ron Burke, who had no lines as Wipeout, got $286.

Similarly, in Ring Around the Riddler, Nicholas Georgiade got $500 for the part of Kayo, while Gil Perkins was paid only $305 for non-speaking Cauliflower.

I guess all things considered, $286 for what was likely a single day's work wasn't that bad back in the sixties.
In today's dollars, it's the equivalent of just over $2,000.
dell

Post by dell »

I just watched the "Come Back, Shame" and the "It's How You Play the Game" episodes. The little boy, Andy, walks up to Batman and Robin just after they escape from the cattle stampede at the beginning of the second episode. Batman knows his name and also knows Andy hangs out with Shame. Hmmm.... Prior to this scene the only time Andy is in the same scene with Batman is after Batman has been knocked out! Oops!
dell
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

Round #3
Hey Diddle Diddle-
Batman has my favorite top loader pouches on the pilot belt all episode ( 3 each side most shots)
But in the close up when he pulls out the Batarang- the pouches are bottom loaders! Also when he pulls out the Bat Lay-zar. they must have filmed the close-ups so far later in post that the new belts where in rotation.
High C

Post by High C »

Commodore Schmidlapp wrote:
High C wrote:

Awesome info - thanks!

I could be wrong, but to my eyes that looks like Ron Burke in another non-speaking part as Dick Grayson's friend at the beginning of Louie's Lethal Lilac Time.

Actually, it was $286 for all three days of the shoot, or about $95 per day.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
drjonah

Post by drjonah »

Newbie here, such a great board. Just recently bought the DVD and finished season 1. I happened to notice in the museum in 'Give em the Axe', there's a painting up against the wall that's mostly destroyed. Would this happen to be the same painting that Batman & Robin jumped through at the end of 'When the Rat's Away'?
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

Progress Pigment wrote:
Tom1980 wrote:
I'd be down for that!

Gil Perkins as 'Sailor' in King Kong.

Gil Perkins as "Henchman" in Batman.

Gil Perkins as "Bluebeard" in Batman: The Movie.

Gil is the first henchman we see in the bar when Catwoman slaps him in the face on the stairway. If you look closely you'll see his fake moustache start drooping off his face after Lee Meriwether smacks him. It's amazing they both didn't start laughing as it seems that take was obviously done quickly and used.
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

During the Pop goes the Joker episode, they flopped the negative during a Batcave sequence (image on the right) and made a bad looking cowl manage to look even worse!
Attachments
filpflop.jpg
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

In Season 2's The Joker's Last Laugh, after Batman leaves the bank with the Mr. Glee robot, it fades out to commercial break. When it fades back in we can see the first couple of frames are the old, washed-out look with Cesar's reddish wig and then suddenly the Blu-ray retouches kick in with the full-on green hair. It's neat to pause at the switch and then slowly go frame by frame back and forth to compare the differences. The most notable to me being the detail in Phyllis Douglas' eyes. In the old film her eyes are completely dark orbs and in the updated look you can actually see her eyes!
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"