Anyone here old enough to remember the original run?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

BatmanBilly

Re: Anyone here old enough to remember the original run?

Post by BatmanBilly »

Well, I was only a year old in 1966 so I don't remember the show's original run but my mom swears we watched it together while I sat on her lap. She had a small paperback of 1950s Batman stories that I loved to read over and over as I was growing up. My wife is a little older than me so she remembers watching it with her family. She remembers loving how the Riddler always said "Riddle me this Batman!". Overall though she was not a big fan of the show because her name is Robin and the kids at school always teased her and asked her where Batman was.
Bill S.C.

Post by Bill S.C. »

I definitely remember the initial run of the series. As the adults would gather at the water cooler to talk about current events, I remember going to Kindergarten on Thursday mornings where my friends and I would gather at recess to talk about how B&R were going to escape from the death trap they were in at the end of Wednesdays' episode.
"Oh soon we'll be out amid the cold world's strife. Soon we'll be sliding down the razor blade of life." - Tom Lehrer
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Considering this thread deals with those who recall the original run, I noticed that tomorrow morning at 9 am (assuming it's the same for all zones) Antenna TV will be showing the Patty Duke episode that immediately followed Hi Diddle Riddle on ABC for 1/12/66.
Golddragon71

Post by Golddragon71 »

I was born five years too late. On the other hand watching it every day and Having the newest Filmation cartoon (the NEW Adventures of Batman) feature the voices of Adam West and Burt Ward made me feel as if it was the original run ten years later (i wouldn't in fact, realize it's true age until almost 13 years later when Batman 89 becamew the second wave of Batmania.)
"Someone might be able to substitute for Batman, for a very short time, but no one could ever replace him!"
zippgun

Post by zippgun »

Yep. It was shown in England and I can still recall seeing the first episode and being slightly spooked by the gas masks on the Riddler gang.

The British comic I used to get, "Smash", ran the Batman newspaper strips, which were very much in the style of the TV show.
Attachments
IMG_0003.jpg
dodgr31

Post by dodgr31 »

I was six years old when the show first aired and I HAD to be sitting in front of the TV each week to watch. I remember one week getting in trouble for a fight at school and being told I couldn't watch Batman, I threw the biggest tantrum known to man, didn't work.

When the DVD's came out recently I started watching again and I was amazed at how much I remembered. I remembered bits and pieces, but enjoy it now for the humor. I didn't get the campy stuff back then.