The Archer, a missed opportunity (no pun intended)

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Dr. Shimel

Re: The Archer, a missed opportunity (no pun intended)

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Carney had a drinking problem in 1966 and was also suffering from depression as a result of his marital problems.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

I think Gleason and Carney would have been great as the Clock King and his henchman. Can you see Gleason wearing that jacket with the clock on it and smoking that big cigar. And no dis to Walter Slezak, but Batman lends itself more to the Honeymooners than Slezak's Lifeboat or Tresure Island performances.

John
Music. BAT! Music.
Sol

Post by Sol »

I clearly like the Archer two-parter more than most of you. Admittedly, I don't think it's as funny, or as sensical, as it should be. I believe the problem exists in the writing - primarily in story structure, and not in Mr. Carney's performance. His Brooklynesque-delivery of the pseudo-Old English lines to be darn funny in itself, and I find charming his unfaltering seriousness. Whatever his personal problems may have been, I don't see them causing a problem here.

By the way, I like some of the ideas I've read here as to how the story could be improved.
Gernot

Post by Gernot »

My wife and I always get a kick out of the Bat-fights in the Archer's 2-parter. "POW-ETH!" "ZAP-ETH!" :)
Pengy

Post by Pengy »

The most amusing part of this episode for me is how Maid Marilyn is constantly stuffing her face with food in nearly every scene she's in.

Archer himself was a weak villain, and I agree with what Adam said in his autobiography, Art Carney was wrong for the role and didn't bring any menace to it. I really like the Alan A. Dale character. He was a real slime ball.
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

Gernot wrote:My wife and I always get a kick out of the Bat-fights in the Archer's 2-parter. "POW-ETH!" "ZAP-ETH!" :)
For me it was ruined, because it was the first time the effects weren't superimposed over the film cells. It was a cheaper effect, and looked it. One of many factors that took the wind out of Batman's sails.
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

Progress Pigment wrote:
Gernot wrote:My wife and I always get a kick out of the Bat-fights in the Archer's 2-parter. "POW-ETH!" "ZAP-ETH!" :)
For me it was ruined, because it was the first time the effects weren't superimposed over the film cells. It was a cheaper effect, and looked it. One of many factors that took the wind out of Batman's sails.
The ironic thing is today, with computer graphics, super imposing the fight graphics would probably be a cheaper option than what they did after season one.
LittleLouisGroovy

Post by LittleLouisGroovy »

Jack Cassidy would have been good as The Archer. I think he could have given the character a certain vanity and self-delusion, as well as imbuing him with a sinister quality.
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

I've mentioned Cassidy before. He might've been tremendous. He had all of the qualities Art Carney was trying to copy. And Robert Goulet would've been an inspired choice. Others might possibly have a point, that the NewYork-ese of the character might have made the character as written not believable. I think just mentioning that he was born in Brooklyn would have been a fine, a continual over the top joke was not necessary. And it would have made Alan .A. Dale's hero worship of The Archer much more believable.
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!