Penguin's uncredited henchmen

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Jim Akin

Penguin's uncredited henchmen

Post by Jim Akin »

Any idea why the nicknamed henchmen in "Penguin's Clean Sweep," Dustbag (Charles Dierkop) and Pushbroom (Newell Oestreich), aren't in the closing credits, while blink-and-you'll-miss-them "Goon 1" and "Goon 2" are included? Might a title card have been forgotten in postproduction? Or was there possibly a union rule that required (or just allowed) the actors to be left off the credits under certain circumstances? If the latter, any insight into what those circumstances might have been with this episode?

Dierkop's absence particularly surprised me. He was a familiar face on TV by 1968.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Cheers,

QQ
John Mack

Re: Penguin's uncredited henchmen

Post by John Mack »

You know....I've been told over and over again that "They didn't credit everyone in those days." Okay. Why? And as for Dozier's great record keeping, I think not. No one can tell us who the four old ladies are in the stock footage when the Batmobile arrives at police HQ. No..I'm afraid it's a mystery. Those four old ladies....my, my...Do they or their relatives know they're as famous as Batman, Robin and the Batmobile?

John
Music. BAT! Music.
Tom1980

Post by Tom1980 »

There was an uncredited Henchman in the first Penguin story, but this one was at least given a name "Swoop". To me, he looks a lot like henchman regular Charles Picerni, but the Official Batbook says the cellmate from part one was also named Swoop. I don't think they were the same person.
BatmanFan102

Post by BatmanFan102 »

Batguitarist wrote:You know....I've been told over and over again that "They didn't credit everyone in those days." Okay. Why? And as for Dozier's great record keeping, I think not. No one can tell us who the four old ladies are in the stock footage when the Batmobile arrives at police HQ. No..I'm afraid it's a mystery. Those four old ladies....my, my...Do they or their relatives know they're as famous as Batman, Robin and the Batmobile?

John

This is akin to the old lady who looks at Mary Tyler Moore when Mary tosses her hat in the air after twirling around in the middle of metropolitan Minneapolis, giving Mary a look as if to say "What is with this gal?". I think that lady was identified, but yes I too often wondered about the passers-by in front of Gotham City H/Q. Were they ALL actors, all extras? I have to believe they were.
Gleeps, it's Batman

Post by Gleeps, it's Batman »

BatmanFan102 wrote:I too often wondered about the passers-by in front of Gotham City H/Q. Were they ALL actors, all extras? I have to believe they were.
They'd have to be either official (paid?) extras or friends or relatives of TPTB since it was the Warner Bros backlot and no one else would be there unless authorized.