Bat suit

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Austinunc

Bat suit

Post by Austinunc »

The batsuit is definitely what caught my eye the first time I remember seeing Batman and a key element when I'm watching any type of batman whether it be in comic books, tv shows, or movies. With this being said I'm not a huge fan of the new armored look the caped crusader has been given of late. The simplicity of the grey tights has always looked better in my opinion with the yellow oval, the 66 tv series gave me exactly what I liked. with that said are there any changes to the costume anyone would have liked to see during the series run?
Randy

Re: Bat suit

Post by Randy »

The only things I would change are, I wouldn't have painted the eye brows or nose outline. I would have left the face area blank. I also would have made the boot tops go higher by 4-5"
Austinunc

Post by Austinunc »

I recently orderd a chuck Williams cowl and I've asked those area's to not have the blue in them. When I get it I'll have to post a picture!
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

Randy wrote:The only things I would change are, I wouldn't have painted the eye brows or nose outline. I would have left the face area blank. I also would have made the boot tops go higher by 4-5"
I wholeheartedly agree on the boot height. The top of the point should have just touched below the knee. Whether as a kid back then or now I just can't get past how ridiculously low they are - almost like borderline Bat-shoes.

I also would have kept the chest logo higher up on the chest (Joker's Wild museum scene) immediately below the cowl fabric rather than down lower closer to the stomach where it always seemed to be.

The painted lines on the mask were keeping with the comic book look at the time so I can bend for that.
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
maniac cop 5

Post by maniac cop 5 »

Austinunc wrote:I recently orderd a chuck Williams cowl and I've asked those area's to not have the blue in them. When I get it I'll have to post a picture!
I had thought about doing the same thing!
Without the brows and nose lines the cowl resembles the little Ideal Batman figure I loved so much as a child!
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I think the eyebrows are what gave the cowl personality.
Austinunc

Post by Austinunc »

I was really on the fence about having the eyebrows removed. Utimitley though I decided to leave them off in hopes that if I wanted to do a different style of batman costume such as a batman the animated series look or a the batman look I could still use the cowl without it looking out of place. Another thing I wish the show would have done with the suit is let the cape drape over his shoulders, robins occasionelly came unbuttoned but it hardley ever happened for batman, and I may be the only one but I actually liked the pilot episode utility belt.
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Juust a bit of FYI concerning the low height of the boots. Shortening the boots is a trick often employed in the industry to make the actor's lower leg look longer. Does it always work?.....You be the judge!
On my 1950's Bat Suit, I will bring the boot points up to just below the knee, ala the comic look. For my cowl, I am planning to match the shape of the ears to the comics. It will be a while, but I will post pictures as I get things done.
Cheers,
Larry