A gem from season 3

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Beat Disko Tech

A gem from season 3

Post by Beat Disko Tech »

I just watched "The Penguin's Clean Sweep". The whole fruit fly segment was hysterical. The "bat fly swatter" was classic and Adam's delivery of his lines as he's going after the flies with the swatter was over the top funny. Robin: "You got one Batman!" Batman (softly) "touché." Robin: "You got another one!" Batman: "That means there's one left Robin." The way he states the obvious is yet another example of why I love this show. So many lines in this series that would be mediocre at best just shine because of Adams delivery.
Batman: Go back outside and calm the flower children.
Robin: They'll mob me!
Batman: Groovy.
Pengy

Re: A gem from season 3

Post by Pengy »

That whole hospital scene was great I thought. Starting with Penguin and his men getting the vaccinations from the mute doctor. Penguin's constant "What?" at him when he wouldn't speak.
Riddler Fan

Post by Riddler Fan »

The doctor was played by retired baseball player John Beradino and good friend of producer Dozier.
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

At the time Beradino was 4 years into his long running role of Dr. Steve Hardy on General Hospital. The part was a nod to his role in that series. He does have lines. He tells Batman the only other supply of vaccine is in Ligeria and it will take twenty fours to get to Gotham.

David Leiws, Warden Crichten, was also a long time member of the cast of GH as wealthy Edward Quartermain.
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

I was always getting David Lewis/Warden Crichton mixed up with Les Tremayne/Mentor from Saturday morning's SHAZAM! Especially around 1977 when Lewis' G.H. Quartermaine character looked almost exactly like Mentor! :shock:
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
Commodore Schmidlapp

Post by Commodore Schmidlapp »

Beat Disko Tech wrote:I just watched "The Penguin's Clean Sweep". The whole fruit fly segment was hysterical. The "bat fly swatter" was classic and Adam's delivery of his lines as he's going after the flies with the swatter was over the top funny. Robin: "You got one Batman!" Batman (softly) "touché." Robin: "You got another one!" Batman: "That means there's one left Robin." The way he states the obvious is yet another example of why I love this show. So many lines in this series that would be mediocre at best just shine because of Adams delivery.
I love that episode, and the dialogue and delivery are superb.

"We're going to toss you into a jail cell, you beaked buffoon!"

"Leave my beak out of this, you baby barnacle, you teenage truant..."

I also love Robin staring at the fly on his nose with both eyes, with a look of sheer terror.

GREAT stuff!
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

I liked when the Penguin call O'Hara an "Irish stew", and said he looked like he was asleep even when he was awake. :) Not far from the truth! Speaking of, Pengy/Burgess looks a bit exhausted in this episode. Almost lethargic. Overwork maybe. The contrast between The Penguin in his first episode & here is striking. That aside, I could actually see this one working in season one or two with better writing, direction, sets, and no Batgirl. The idea itself was quite fine, and the episode had it's moments. I wish they'd filmed this in season two instead of Hizzoner the Penguin.
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!