Problems with the Bookworm episodes

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

clavierankh

Problems with the Bookworm episodes

Post by clavierankh »

The Bookworm episodes were on MeTV tonight. While I wouldn't expect scientific accuracy on the show a couple of things struck me.

In part 1 Batman has Robin hit the bookmobile with 12000 decibels. That should have destroyed the bookmobile an everyone i nit. And maybe caused damage to the surrounding buildings.

In part 2 trying to open the book Batman has Robin set the pull to one ton on the Batmagnet. Unless Batman can lift and hols 2000 pounds he should have gone flying into the book since he was holding an unanchored magnet.
Beat Disko Tech

Re: pROBLEMS WITH THE bOOKWORM EPISODE.

Post by Beat Disko Tech »

Number 2 is simple! Batman just happened to be wearing his one ton Bat-magnet reverse polarizing Bat-skivvies under his Bat-suit as well having special asphalt anchoring Bat soles on the bottom of his boots.
Batman: Go back outside and calm the flower children.
Robin: They'll mob me!
Batman: Groovy.
John Mack

Re: Problems with the Bookworm episodes

Post by John Mack »

Suspension of disbelief.
Music. BAT! Music.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I've got no problems with the Bookworm episodes. Two classics in my book.
In a world where a millionaire dresses up like a Bat anything is possible.
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

I agree that some suspension of disbelief is in order. Reversing the polarity can't always be the solution.

And for what it's worth, those impossibilities are totally in keeping with the ludicrous "science fiction" elements of the comic books that inspired the Batman TV series.

The DC Comics paperbacks "Showcase Presents: Batman" vol. 1 and 2 reprint Batman stories from 1964-1967, encompassing the period when Dozier and co. researched Batman, and most of the time the show was in production. The stories are full of mad scientists (and misguided good ones) whose inventions make the Alvino Raygun sound logical. For instance, in "The Remarkable Ruse of the Riddler," the story that inspired the TV pilot, Riddler electrifies his costume, which somehow makes it impossible for Batman and Robin to punch him. Other stories feature a weakling who builds a machine to siphon off the strength of a gorilla (what could possibly go wrong?); a magnetic gun that can animate suits of armor; and a jewel thief with a device they didn't even bother explaining, which looked like a rooftop TV antenna and somehow beamed electrical bolts and opened hidden doors.

Cheers,

QQ
High C

Post by High C »

clavierankh wrote:The Bookworm episodes were on MeTV tonight. While I wouldn't expect scientific accuracy on the show a couple of things struck me.

In part 1 Batman has Robin hit the bookmobile with 12000 decibels. That should have destroyed the bookmobile an everyone i nit. And maybe caused damage to the surrounding buildings.
The writers clearly didn't understand decibel levels and what they might mean. In S3, Robin taunts The Siren by saying his Bat-earplugs 'successfully screen out any sound above 14,000 decibels.' Siren would be knocking down buildings with her note if it were that loud.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

The writers clearly didn't understand decibel levels and what they might mean. In S3, Robin taunts The Siren by saying his Bat-earplugs 'successfully screen out any sound above 14,000 decibels.' Siren would be knocking down buildings with her note if it were that loud.

You're right. Decibels are a measure of loudness. Robins earplugs should have screen out sounds above a certain frequency so he couldn't hear the Siren's note.

Batman is basically a live action cartoon and as such has it's own laws of physics. I just thought it would be fun to point out a couple.

This is actually one of my favorite episodes. I love the drama at the beginning when they think the commissioner has been murdered and Batman swears t avenge this outrage.
Gernot

Post by Gernot »

I always thought the writers were pulling numbers such as 14,000 decibels out of thin air, in order to make all of the accomplishments of Batman and Robin seem even MORE incredible. :)
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

AndyFish wrote:I've got no problems with the Bookworm episodes. Two classics in my book.
In a world where a millionaire dresses up like a Bat anything is possible.
I agree. In this world, we just have to believe that these guys in suits, fighting crime, and everything else is just what is "normal." I really would have rather there been another Bookworm episode in season two instead of say, the puzzler. I really liked Roddy's acting. Wish we had more of it.

John
Music. BAT! Music.
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

I agree.
dell

Post by dell »

Gernot wrote:I always thought the writers were pulling numbers such as 14,000 decibels out of thin air, in order to make all of the accomplishments of Batman and Robin seem even MORE incredible. :)
Back in the 60's you saw this in a lot of TV shows. Basically, they just made up numbers that sounded impressive as they knew the vast majority of people would have no idea of what the real numbers should be.

We still see it today in TV shows and movies when someone gets shot. The person holding the gun just fires it, but the person getting hit with the bullet can fly backwards 10 feet. The person firing the gun is affected by the bullet just as much as the person getting hit. Actually, the person firing the gun feels the full force of the bullet as friction with the air will slow it slightly before the person being shot is hit with the bullet.
dell
Mr.Freeze

Post by Mr.Freeze »

epaddon

Post by epaddon »

dell wrote:Back in the 60's you saw this in a lot of TV shows. Basically, they just made up numbers that sounded impressive as they knew the vast majority of people would have no idea of what the real numbers should be.
And this included writers of the caliber of Rod Serling. Watch any "Twilight Zone" episode and you will find that the numbers don't add up *ever*. In "Third From The Sun" we see people on a planet "15 million miles" from Earth. That's not even halfway to Mars. Another great episode "The Lonely" is set on an "asteroid" with a climate like that of Death Valley (where it was shot). Learned people knew that was impossible back then but the audience didn't care in those days before we were traveling frequently into space. And let's not forget "I Shot An Arrow Into The Air" which is a great episode but which depends on a twist requiring a trained crew to make the dumbest kind of miscalculation of all time! (I won't mention it for the benefit of the few who have never seen it).