Robin

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Austinunc

Robin

Post by Austinunc »

Since the show has been realeased I've probably watched each episode about 4 times. With that being said why couldn't the show have made Robin a stronger character like he was in the comics? In every episode it seems like without batman Robin can't do anything! When it comes to a fight scene the minute batman is captured or knocked out the henchmen imediately over power Robin when a few moments earlier he was winning the fight. I just wish they would have allowed Robin to be all that he could be as a character and was wondering if anyone else has noticed/ felt the same way.
clavierankh

Re: Robin

Post by clavierankh »

Robin's best episode was Wail Of The Siren. He was pretty much senior partner of the Robin Batgirl team.
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

Why couldn't they have made Batman a stronger character like he was in the comics?!! I see your point in the first season. Robin definitely took a back seat to his brilliant mentor. But by season 2 they dumbed Batman down so badly, Robin often seemed mentally superior. And by season 3 the new star of the series Batgirl, along with Robin seemed to be occasionally watching over Batman like he was a mental patient! Batman insisting on shaking the Joker's hand in the Joker/Catwoman episode (wherein Robin would not have) And in the final "Shame" segment where Batgirl & Robin had to follow Batman & protect him from himself. Robin had some good moments in the Lord Fogg episodes. But we very seldom saw anything resembling the resourceful Batman of the comics & the first season after Green Ice/ Deep Freeze.
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

If anything, the comics Robin was too helpful, there were many times where Batman needed to be rescued or kept Robin at home and the sidekick ended up saving his mentor.

I'm glad the show didn't go that way as it's a bit embarrassing for the character.

That's aside from Pigment's comments regarding the dumbing down of Batman.

What happened to the suave Batman who easily defeated Blaze's gas trick? Shaking hands with the Joker? Letting Catwoman scratch both of them, or gas them when she was crying Let alone not seeing her henchmen hiding under sheets?

I hate that part of the Shame episode; the showdown is fine but having Batgirl and Robin rope the criminals before they shoot Batman was terrible. Same with the Riddler in the boxing ring. I guess that scene was there to really show how great Batgirl is as both Robin and Alfred are too clueless to do anything. Alfred even notes that something is happening right under the ring, gee...why doesn't Robin take a look?

True, Robin was sometimes overpowered but many times in fight scenes he would help Batman when the latter ended up being overpowered in a fight; usually after being clocked with a chair or vase or something.

Bad enough Batman's character was "dumbed down", but I'm glad Robin wasn't too often saving him, that would've made things even worse!

I think the 66 series set up an interesting dynamic (no pun intended) with them that also worked because of the actors' chemistry.

Besides, Robin was captured, overpowered etc. in the comics as well. True, he was a bit more helpful but I think Robin in the show was more capable than people think.

Regardless, the way Batgirl took over and Batman seemed like a bit of an idiot is one of the biggest failings in the entire show.

cheers
Austinunc

Post by Austinunc »

I agree that batman should also have been a stronger character! I know the show was lite natured and fun and that's what drew in a great number of the audience but I'd like to think a lot of what Made the show popular was that it was the first experience a lot of people had of batman. If they would have adopted a more serious approach in attitude then maybe the show would have lasted longer. But with all that being said batman isn't only the caped crusader he was often called in the show he was also the worlds greatest detective and they kinda made batman dumbed down in some episodes where he was so easly tricked. Finally it would have been nice to see robin in a solo episode where he has to solve the crime and capture the criminal but the same can be said for batman. A solo episode for both characters would have been great.
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

Austinunc wrote:Finally it would have been nice to see robin in a solo episode where he has to solve the crime and capture the criminal but the same can be said for batman. A solo episode for both characters would have been great.
Robin sort of got that in the Siren episode. In it he seemed to be almost a coming-of-age Dick Grayson. It was perhaps his only "Nightwing" moment. :) I guess Batman's only "lone vigilante" moments were in 'Give 'Em the Ax' where he fought the Riddler's henchmen alone (and even did the "dark" bat shadow that neither Bale or Keaton managed!) the Go-Go & later Molly scenes in the pilot episode, and the Lord Fogg bar fight with was strangely similar to the Way Batman & Robin were separated in the pilot.
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

Loved the show, but moments like Robin catching a bus into town or Batman hitching a ride on the back of the Alf-cycle were too much, even for me! This showed writers who either didn't know the characters or didn't care to know them and just went for cheap laughs - which didn't work. They only made the show and Batman already more absurd to an increasingly bemused viewing public.
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
Austinunc

Post by Austinunc »

A more serious but still friendly batman would've been amazing but instead of it being a 3 season show it feels like a one good season and some hits and misses for the rest of the series.
WayneGrayson

Post by WayneGrayson »

Yellow Oval wrote:Loved the show, but moments like Robin catching a bus into town or Batman hitching a ride on the back of the Alf-cycle were too much, even for me! This showed writers who either didn't know the characters or didn't care to know them and just went for cheap laughs - which didn't work. They only made the show and Batman already more absurd to an increasingly bemused viewing public.
There's also "Catwoman's Dressed to Kill" in which Bruce and Dick change in the back of the limo and run 3 miles to Commissioner Gordon's office. Okay, changing in the back seat is one thing, but couldn't they have just driven around a bit and check to see if anyone was around when they got out of the limo? I mean, they had to have been sitting there waiting for clearance before they jumped out to start running. If so, couldn't they have done the same when they got to headquarters? It just doesn't make any sense - outside of the cheap laugh. I like a good clever gag when it comes up, but I just groan at moments such as this.

Hate to say it, but HOLY REASON FOR LOW RATINGS UNLESS YOU'RE A DIE HARD!
kennetzel

Post by kennetzel »

Robin always seemed like the smart one to me. It was like Batman would not be able to solve any crime without Robin. It seems whenever Batman is confounded over something, Robin comes up with the answers. Especially the Riddler episodes. Robin always seems to come up with the answers. In the first episode Robin came up with 222, the glove, the cigarette lighter, pealing of the bell...all the Riddler riddles, Robin seems to figure out. Even in other episodes Robin comes up with the answers. There are times Batman says he thinks Robin is barking up the wrong tree, but most of the time Robin seems to figure it out before Batman does. "RIGHT OLD CHUM!"
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

They complimented each other very well.
Gernot

Post by Gernot »

elmrgraham wrote:They complimented each other very well.
"Nice cape, ol' chum!"

"Why, THANK you, Batman! And your cowl seems ESPECIALLY pressed today!"

(Sorry, I couldn't resist that.) :)

If you REALLY want to see a Robin on top of things, you should see the 1943 and 1949 serials. Robin saved Batman's life SEVERAL times in the two fifteen-chapter stories. Besides that, they're both a LOT of fun! And yes, Batman and Robin ARE both much more serious in these.

Now, DON'T get me wrong. I love the two serials and the '66 TV show, but they each stand on their own. :)
WayneGrayson

Post by WayneGrayson »

My favorite segment of the 1949 series was when Bruce is coerced into joining a gang, Robin pops up on the scene, but is overpowered. A bat-fight breaks out, Bruce and Robin escape and it segues to them in the "batmobile". Bruce is concerned that the bad guys are going to gain on them, but Robin laughs it off, "not after what I did to their car, they're not" (to paraphrase).

This was a cool, street smart Robin. It would have been great if he was written this way in the '66 series.
brightknight

Post by brightknight »

I can't remember the episode at the moment, but Batman and Robin are in the batcave and Batman is down on himself. Robin says something along the lines of "chin up old chum, it's not over yet." The usual dynamic was reversed, and I liked that. Robin became a better person all the time by listening to Batman's advice and the example he set. That's a large point of the character.

As for Robin being overpowered in fights, I'm fine with that. I makes sense given he's a youngster dealing with grown men. He can hold his own but he's not invincible. He gave Batman a different perspective on crimes and often solved the puzzle. He was far from useless.
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

I think the episode was "Batman's Satisfaction"