Anyone Who You Think SHOULDN'T Have Been on the Show?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Dr. Shimel

Re: Anyone Who You Think SHOULDN'T Have Been on the Show?

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Bat-Tiger wrote:I didn't much care for the Black Widow episodes either, how does everyone feel about Julie Christie as a replacement?
Was never going to happen, since Christie had already won an Oscar for Best Actress. Even if she had been on, it would have been during the first year (Zelda?) and not when the show had already begun to fade.
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

Exactly. Robert Culp had been trying to line her up for an "I Spy" episode that he was directing, but the Oscar win took her out of any consideration and he had to settle for Jean Marsh.

Playing the alternate casting game can be fun, but I think it has to be done with some research into the realistic possibilities of the time based on where the performer we'd like to envision in a part was at that stage of their career.
Quarhog

Post by Quarhog »

She looks the part, and gets to wear probably the sexiest moll's outfit of them all; but Deanna Lund was totally miscast as Anna Gram. She looks timid and apprehensive most of the time - as she did throughout 'Land of the Giants' - rather than a pert little thrill seeker like Susan Silo did as Mousey - and is too obviously just a girly girl in a sexy outfit rather than an authentic fox...
rickkrefft

Post by rickkrefft »

I loved every villain from season 1 except Zelda, and even she was better than most of them we saw in seasons 2 and 3. Season 2 it would be easier to say who I liked (Egghead and Shame, and my favorite Mr. Freeze Otto, Clock King was ok) in season 3 I only liked Olga, Siren and Eartha as Catwoman. I so wish the second season had another Egghead appearance and Frank was back for at least the episode John was in, and was there instead of Puzzler (who was the worst season 2 villain IMO) and another Bookworm and False Face appearance. Season 3 would have been better if Frank was on at least 2 episodes as Riddler and we had another appearance of Mad Hatter and either George or Otto as Mr. Freeze. I think the show maybe would have gone on to Season 4 if not for these "stars" as villains. Seasons 2 and 3 were like Batman on The Love Boat with all these guest stars.
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

The Puzzler.To me,he was a lousy Villain.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I'd dump Art Carney and Van Johnson from Season Two and every new villain in Season Three.
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

AndyFish wrote:I'd dump Art Carney and Van Johnson from Season Two and every new villain in Season Three.
I'll second Andy on that motion. None opposed??? CARRIED!!! :lol:

It just amazes me how the second season immediately started devolving to where it became more about guest "stars" than guest "villains"! This resulted in really bad combinations of the two. I start to wonder what was happening behind the scenes?

Dozier: "Art, I'll trade you one Batman guest appearance now and a box of a dozen jelly donuts for a another guest appearance on a yet-to-be-determined future series of mine."

Carney: "Done!"
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
Quarhog

Post by Quarhog »

epaddon wrote:Exactly. Robert Culp had been trying to line her up for an "I Spy" episode that he was directing, but the Oscar win took her out of any consideration and he had to settle for Jean Marsh.

Playing the alternate casting game can be fun, but I think it has to be done with some research into the realistic possibilities of the time based on where the performer we'd like to envision in a part was at that stage of their career.
Jean Marsh...? I reckon Culp got the better deal there!
Quarhog

Post by Quarhog »

Quarhog wrote:
epaddon wrote:Exactly. Robert Culp had been trying to line her up for an "I Spy" episode that he was directing, but the Oscar win took her out of any consideration and he had to settle for Jean Marsh.

Jean Marsh...? I reckon Culp got the better deal there! (Remember Sara Kingdom in Doctor Who, round about the same time).
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Yellow Oval wrote:
AndyFish wrote:I'd dump Art Carney and Van Johnson from Season Two and every new villain in Season Three.
I'll second Andy on that motion. None opposed??? CARRIED!!! :lol:

It just amazes me how the second season immediately started devolving to where it became more about guest "stars" than guest "villains"! This resulted in really bad combinations of the two. I start to wonder what was happening behind the scenes?
Dozier presumably was influenced by the number of big stars who offered themselves for role, considering the white-hot nature of the first season.