Zelda The Great Confusion

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

TheBlueHombre

Zelda The Great Confusion

Post by TheBlueHombre »

I was watching the episodes with Zelda the Great the other night and I got baffled by something. In the first part of the episode, Zelda shows up at to look at the Star of Samarkand and then takes off the black outfit. Batman stands before her image by the mirror and she disappears with the trick mirrors. Batman is looking directly at her face.

But then, Batman says in the second part of the story that he was able to deduce the identity of the criminal because of the boiling oil bit and Robin remembers going to see Zelda for his birthday.

My confusion is why Batman did not recognize Zelda when he was standing in front of her image at the salon and was only able to deduce her identity by the boiling oil bit? I would think that since the night was a memorable occasion with Dick's birthday party, and they got to go backstage and meet Zelda afterwards, that Batman would remember what she looked like and would have instantly realized who the criminal was when they were face to face.

This is one of my favorite episodes of the series, but this identity thing is baffling me.
Same Bat-Time
Same Bat-Channel
Same Perilous Predicament
AndyFish

Re: Zelda The Great Confusion

Post by AndyFish »

The script writer was in a hurry to get the story in under deadline.
High C

Post by High C »

TheBlueHombre wrote:I was watching the episodes with Zelda the Great the other night and I got baffled by something. In the first part of the episode, Zelda shows up at to look at the Star of Samarkand and then takes off the black outfit. Batman stands before her image by the mirror and she disappears with the trick mirrors. Batman is looking directly at her face.

But then, Batman says in the second part of the story that he was able to deduce the identity of the criminal because of the boiling oil bit and Robin remembers going to see Zelda for his birthday.

My confusion is why Batman did not recognize Zelda when he was standing in front of her image at the salon and was only able to deduce her identity by the boiling oil bit? I would think that since the night was a memorable occasion with Dick's birthday party, and they got to go backstage and meet Zelda afterwards, that Batman would remember what she looked like and would have instantly realized who the criminal was when they were face to face.

This is one of my favorite episodes of the series, but this identity thing is baffling me.
Fair point. Even in the Semple era, sloppy plotting was a hallmark at Greenway.

I also wonder when Semple was the script editor, who besides Dozier and Horwitz was looking at his scripts.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

And it's odd how Batman never makes the connection between Zelda and Olga. Hmmm.... :lol:

John
Music. BAT! Music.
TheBlueHombre

Post by TheBlueHombre »

Batguitarist wrote:And it's odd how Batman never makes the connection between Zelda and Olga. Hmmm.... :lol:

John
I can hear it now, "Where I have seen that woman in the orange dress before?"
Same Bat-Time
Same Bat-Channel
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

TheBlueHombre wrote:
Batguitarist wrote:And it's odd how Batman never makes the connection between Zelda and Olga. Hmmm.... :lol:

John
I can hear it now, "Where I have seen that woman in the orange dress before?"
Other questions to ponder:

How come Glacia Glaze wasn't quite as enraptured with Batman as Dawn Robbins? :lol:

Did Mad Hatter moll Lisa just put on a pink wig to fool Bruce Wayne as Pinky Pinkston? :lol:
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

All great questions indeed, but we still love the stuff...lol At least I do.
TheBlueHombre

Post by TheBlueHombre »

Batman65 wrote:All great questions indeed, but we still love the stuff...lol At least I do.
Yes, indeed, we love this show. I just saw the episodes with the Joker going to Woodrow Roosevelt High School. As I was watching the episode I was wondering why nobody bothered to take out of the pub the jukebox that had Joker's machine gun after the first time there was a holdup. Batman and Robin go visit the same pub in the second part and the machine is still there and doing holdups again. Why didn't somebody remove it after it caused the commotion the first time? Doesn't O'Hara's men have any common sense?

I am enjoying catching all of these little idiosyncrasies watching the show on home video. I also noticed in one episode that as the Batmobile is driving away, Batman's cape is clearly visible caught in the door.

Love this show.
Same Bat-Time
Same Bat-Channel