Fanfic-The Origin of Catwoman Reimagined

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

epaddon

Fanfic-The Origin of Catwoman Reimagined

Post by epaddon »

Since the board has of late been showing its receptiveness to the posting of fanfic (thanks, Gorshin Romero!), I thought I'd share something that represents a bit of a personal vision. While it tries to maintain the spirit of the series, it does consciously move away from the more comedic aspects to try and achieve a more serious tone without losing the larger-than-life quality.

Some background though to the idea. This represents a reimagining of Catwoman's origin, specifically as played by Julie Newmar. For quite some time growing up, I always thought that while Julie was and is the definitive CW, her persona did not lend itself to the idea that the traditional CW alter ego of Selina Kyle is who Julie's CW is underneath the mask. Thinking of just what kind of person could become the Julie Newmar CW always for me represented the biggest flaw in the character (by contrast, Lee Meriwether's CW could more easily fit the Selina Kyle template IMO).

Then one day I happened to catch Julie's two appearances on "Route 66" where she played the part of a free-spirited motorcycle riding heiress named Vicki Russell, who because of the tragic death of her entire family in a plane crash, has been on a perpetual existential journey across America trying to enjoy life to its limits. Spreading love as she sees it, but always getting herself into trouble because of her non-conformist persona. It suddenly occurred to me that with just a little bit of imagination, *this* could be CW in waiting. And the end result are these two stories in which I take two TV series episodes, "Purrfect Crime/Better Luck Next Time" and "That Darn Catwoman/Scat Darn Catwoman" and reimagine them to this end. The first one is a more faithful adaptation of what we see on TV than the latter (in which I retain only a few basic elements) but when I do retain the original episode elements, I try to be as faithful as possible. The story is illustrated with screen caps from both episodes (as well as of Julie from the Route 66 episodes) to further lend credence to the concept. While it's helpful to have seen the two Route 66 episodes for overall context of the Vicki character, I try to summarize things enough so that those unfamiliar with those episodes won't be too confused.

Because we're not able to attach pdf files here, I have uploaded the two stories to these links for downloading so they can be easily read.

#1-The Origin Of Catwoman

#2-That Darn Catwoman

My thanks to High C for his encouragement of this project in the past! As I've said, I don't mean for this to be a definitive re-telling of CW's origin, just a personal take realized in an area where we can always use our own imaginations in new ways.
elmrgraham

Re: Fanfic-The Origin of Catwoman Reimagined

Post by elmrgraham »

Purrfect.
WayneGrayson

Post by WayneGrayson »

You guys have filled in the details purrfectly. I now have a new way of looking at Catwoman.
"When I get out of jail, will you take me on a date?" Vicky Russell
"Are you spoken for - married, engaged, going steady..." Vicky Russell

I know this is really reaching and reading into it a little, but now this makes me wonder if Vicky Russell ever had any run-ins with teenage boys. Even without this fan-fic, I've noticed over the years that Catwoman really has it in for Robin. It's almost as if she wouldn't even think of ensnaring Batman (by himself) in a deathtrap if Robin weren't around. In the series she really enjoys tormenting Robin.

Thoughts?
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

Well I think CW's disdain for Robin in general is really at the core no different than the kind of disdain she would have for one of her own henchmen. A follower, a hanger-on if you will. In my stories, I retained that disdain for Robin because for Vicki/CW, Batman can fascinate her as a potential yang to her yin but Robin would be nothing special.

Much as I hate the "We'll kill him" line I did pay homage to it in a different kind of way which was fun.
dell

Post by dell »

WayneGrayson wrote:I know this is really reaching and reading into it a little, but now this makes me wonder if Vicky Russell ever had any run-ins with teenage boys. Even without this fan-fic, I've noticed over the years that Catwoman really has it in for Robin. It's almost as if she wouldn't even think of ensnaring Batman (by himself) in a deathtrap if Robin weren't around. In the series she really enjoys tormenting Robin.

Thoughts?
I always assumed that Catwoman just found Robin annoying. He was also a third wheel in the episodes where she wants to hook up with Batman. They even carry over the annoying stuff when Eartha Kitt takes over as Catwoman; her version can't stand Robin either.

I liked the episodes where they split up Batman and Robin. They did this in at least two Catwoman episodes.
dell
Jaws63

Post by Jaws63 »

One observational point to note, the TV series was as much of a parody to the comics as Batfink was to our series. A part of me wonders if the reason the Selina Kyle alter ego was "NOT' used in the series is because of lack of research into the character or after researching the history of Joker, Penguin and Riddler...the shows formula was set in stone, none of the other villains had alter ego's(atleast not any that fit within the formula or helped the plot along) so why would Catwoman be any different.

I too had a fanfic Idea on the origin of Catwoman, my idea is slightly different. I envision a more Medieval, trans elusive Catwoman. this Idea is akin to the werewolf idea of being half human and half beast. The average 9 to 5 Secretary, cat burglar by night(Selina Kyle) has a spell put on her through black magic(Selina stole from the wrong person, this lady performs witchcraft). Selina, actually becomes this cat beast that terrorizes Gotham by clawing and killing her victims. With the police completely powerless, the commissioner calls in Batman. Batman deduces that the finger prints on the victims match those found at a robbery scene and belong to Selina Kyle. Bruce meets up with Selina, they fall in love. Batman/Bruce figures Selina and this catbeast are one and the same, but that Selina has no control over becoming the cat. Batman is faced with the interesting conflict of having to hide Selina from the law, and can't do it as Bruce so Batman keeps her in the batcave. Batman creates an elixir that should counteract the spell(But not entirely and very unsure of the side effects). Selina however escapes the batcave. Batman deduces that the only way Selina would have made it through the cave is if she's turned back into the cat beast and her animal instincts took over. Batman and the cat beast meet up in the woods, a fight ensues. Just as it seems like the beast is about to get the best of our hero, he's able to inject the elixir into her.

This is my origin idea for Catwoman, definitely not 66 style by any means. This might have been a good alternate story in the Nolan universe.
brightknight

Post by brightknight »

dell wrote:I always assumed that Catwoman just found Robin annoying. He was also a third wheel in the episodes where she wants to hook up with Batman.
I agree. I don't think Catwoman was serious about killing Robin. I think she's being flippant, unable to think of another solution to keep Robin away. Despite all her schemes and deathtraps, I'm sure Batman and Catwoman loved each other. Their encounter at the prison said it all really. Bruce said he'd like to be friends with Catwoman, and she says "that's very nice, but my heart belongs to Batman." If Robin grew up and moved away from Gotham and became Nightwing, for example, there's more of a chance Batman and Catwoman became an item. If she reformed, that is.
Bat-Tiger

Post by Bat-Tiger »

epaddon wrote:Well I think CW's disdain for Robin in general is really at the core no different than the kind of disdain she would have for one of her own henchmen. A follower, a hanger-on if you will. In my stories, I retained that disdain for Robin because for Vicki/CW, Batman can fascinate her as a potential yang to her yin but Robin would be nothing special.

Much as I hate the "We'll kill him" line I did pay homage to it in a different kind of way which was fun.
I like your take on this. Catwoman has a "fatal attraction" fixation on Batman. He is the only man she sees as a suitable mate. In "Hot Off The GrGriddle" she talks about how others don't compare, (Penguin is too short etc.) She wants Batman, no strings attached. When she fails at getting what she wants, she resorts to trying to kill him.

Catwoman sees Robin as an obstacle, not only is he Batman's partner, be also his closest friend, and someone he treats like a son. And that is attention that won't be focused on her.
/|\=^..^=/|\
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

Here's the opening part of Julie's first "Route 66" episode which introduces us to the character of Vicki Russell and her non-conformist persona that captivates some and drives the authorities crazy. It also has the critical scene where we learn about the tragedy in her family history that also IMO sets up perfectly the dynamic of this character as CW in waiting, but who unlike Bruce Wayne didn't lose her family to criminals so therefore she was potentially more willing to turn to crime to channel herself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh_THrPc4uM
High C

Post by High C »

epaddon wrote:Here's the opening part of Julie's first "Route 66" episode which introduces us to the character of Vicki Russell and her non-conformist persona that captivates some and drives the authorities crazy. It also has the critical scene where we learn about the tragedy in her family history that also IMO sets up perfectly the dynamic of this character as CW in waiting, but who unlike Bruce Wayne didn't lose her family to criminals so therefore she was potentially more willing to turn to crime to channel herself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh_THrPc4uM
Thanks for sharing. I liked your stories and felt they set up a more adult dynamic between Batman and Catwoman than the CW schoolgirl crush on the show. I've always said I thought CW really needed an alter ego on the show because otherwise, IMO, she sometimes comes off merely as an exhibitionist with a whip who enjoys showing off her incredible physical assets, especially because the 'cat burglar' angle rarely was used.

That said, Selina Kyle from what I've seen in the comics, is too mousy (no pun intended) an alter ego for someone such as Julie who is larger than life. This is a much better alter ego for Newmar to perform.

This clip really demonstrates how interesting a character Vicki Russell is, although personally, I don't like her. She gets under my skin and annoys me.

I've seen both of Julie's Route 66s and its fascinating to think they were looking to do a spinoff of her character. That was daring for the early 1960s, given the fact Vicki Russell was hardly warm and cuddly despite Julie's obvious charms. Don't know if viewers would have wanted to welcome such an odd and oft-putting character into their homes on a weekly basis, but Julie might have pulled it off with her abundant talent.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

There've been some problems with DivShare of late so here are new download links for my two stories from Dropbox.

Story #1

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/318 ... twoman.pdf

Story #2

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/318 ... twoman.pdf
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

I didn't read these yet, but will on the flight home. However re watching the CW series it strikes me CW wishes for the father figure that Batman represents to Robin. By eliminating Robin, she hope to replace him in the relationship, which may mean she was either fatherless or orphaned, so her moral or ethical compass may be compromised. Batman represents true North, and his attraction to her may be rooted in his desire for rehabilitation of the bad girl, more so than the other foes.

I never bought into the Year One Prostitute version, nor the new Fox series roles (too many coincidences, I always thought the random senselessness better represented the anger for all crime, but these days everything has a conspiracy behind it.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
Quarhog

Post by Quarhog »

WayneGrayson wrote:You guys have filled in the details purrfectly. I now have a new way of looking at Catwoman.
"When I get out of jail, will you take me on a date?" Vicky Russell
"Are you spoken for - married, engaged, going steady..." Vicky Russell

I know this is really reaching and reading into it a little, but now this makes me wonder if Vicky Russell ever had any run-ins with teenage boys. Even without this fan-fic, I've noticed over the years that Catwoman really has it in for Robin. It's almost as if she wouldn't even think of ensnaring Batman (by himself) in a deathtrap if Robin weren't around. In the series she really enjoys tormenting Robin.

Thoughts?
In the TV series Catwoman simply views Robin as a nuisance; and I don't doubt for a moment that she was entirely sincere when she proposed having him painlessly put down. An entertaining variation on the whole Batman-Catwoman romance angle would have been if on those occasions when she has the Dynamic Duo tied up and at her mercy it had instead been Batman that she plans to kill and that with the Caped Crusader dead she could then turn her lascivious attention to the Boy Wonder as a potential toyboy - provocatively mussing his hair while licking her lips at the prospect of initiating him into a world of adult pleasure hitherto completely alien to him but about which she could doubtless write the book...

On the subject of books, Ms Kyle (as I shall continue to call her) as played by Julie Newmar is an intelligent woman who betrays her lack of formal education in 'Batman Displays His Knowledge' when she doesn't know the meaning of the word "propinquity". There are enough hints dropped elsewhere to suggest that she's known hardship and hunger (made explicit in her comments when running her hands through Captain Manx's treasure in 'Better Luck Next Time') and has clawed her way up from the gutter from deprived and squalid beginnings by any sordid means necessary in order to survive (probably including doing time as a hooker); and entered the evil-doer business for the money rather than the kicks.

Unlike that hussy Barbara Gordon: who obviously is just looking for a license to dress up in wet-look purple lamé and kick people in the head without running the risk of being sent to jail for assault; as she rightly would be were she not disingenuously claiming to be doing it in all the name of fighting crime. She doesn't fool me...!
High C

Post by High C »

Quarhog wrote:
In the TV series Catwoman simply views Robin as a nuisance; and I don't doubt for a moment that she was entirely sincere when she proposed having him painlessly put down. An entertaining variation on the whole Batman-Catwoman romance angle would have been if on those occasions when she has the Dynamic Duo tied up and at her mercy it had instead been Batman that she plans to kill and that with the Caped Crusader dead she could then turn her lascivious attention to the Boy Wonder as a potential toyboy - provocatively mussing his hair while licking her lips at the prospect of initiating him into a world of adult pleasure hitherto completely alien to him but about which she could doubtless write the book...

On the subject of books, Ms Kyle (as I shall continue to call her) as played by Julie Newmar is an intelligent woman who betrays her lack of formal education in 'Batman Displays His Knowledge' when she doesn't know the meaning of the word "propinquity". There are enough hints dropped elsewhere to suggest that she's known hardship and hunger (made explicit in her comments when running her hands through Captain Manx's treasure in 'Better Luck Next Time') and has clawed her way up from the gutter from deprived and squalid beginnings by any sordid means necessary in order to survive (probably including doing time as a hooker); and entered the evil-doer business for the money rather than the kicks.

Unlike that hussy Barbara Gordon: who obviously is just looking for a license to dress up in wet-look purple lamé and kick people in the head without running the risk of being sent to jail for assault; as she rightly would be were she not disingenuously claiming to be doing it in all the name of fighting crime. She doesn't fool me...!
You make some interesting and valid points, but do you really think the 1966 Catwoman was a former prostitute??? I hope you are kidding.

I don't think there's any Frank Miller in the 1966 Batman, thank goodness.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Quarhog

Post by Quarhog »

High C wrote:
Quarhog wrote:

You make some interesting and valid points, but do you really think the 1966 Catwoman was a former prostitute??? I hope you are kidding.

I don't think there's any Frank Miller in the 1966 Batman, thank goodness.
We certainly don't know that she wasn't! And do you think that she would have have been above trading her obvious assets for money if the price had been right? In 'Batman Displays His Knowledge', when she places her feet apart, her hands on her hips and promises Batman that she could give him "more happiness than anyone alive", it's pretty obvious what's on offer...!