RIP Grace Lee Whitney

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Dr. Shimel

RIP Grace Lee Whitney

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Grace Lee Whitney, who played Neila, King Tut's rebellious moll in the Tut/Lee Meriwether S2 episode. died on Friday at the age of 85--according to this link:

http://www.yourcentralvalley.com/story/ ... OgKbksZ8_A
High C

Re: RIP Grace Lee Whitney

Post by High C »

Confirmed by her family, per nbcnews.com:

http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/tv/g ... es-n353001

So sad. She had addiction problems after getting fired from Star Trek in 1966 (according to her, after she was raped by an executive connected with the show) but later turned her life around and helped others.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

Her life was very full to live to age 85, but even so I think her passing again reveals how harder it is to accept it when its these people from the 1960s who are eternally preserved at the peak of their youth and beauty in high-definition color. It's different from when the famous people from the 1930s and 1940s were leaving us because since they came from a distant era of black-and-white it was always easier to accept the idea of them growing old and leaving us. That's something I find myself increasingly self-conscious about as more people from the 1960s died.

Her "Batman" appearance was her first acting job on film after her unfortunate firing from "Star Trek" (which as High C notes, came on the heels of being sexually assaulted by an executive associated with the show) so I know she had to be glad for the job even if it was a comedown for someone who had started the season as the #3 billed performer of the Trek cast (publicity material was putting her even more important than DeForrest Kelley's Dr. McCoy). Her role as Nella in many respects calls to mind her part as the hooker "Kiki The Cossack" in the 1963 movie "Irma La Douce" with Shirley MacLaine and Jack Lemmon and I suspect was another reason why she got the part.

RIP to a fine lady and Godspeed.
The Revolving Wall

Post by The Revolving Wall »

It is indeed a sad moment...saying a last farewell to someone whose performances were such a pleasure to enjoy. I met her in person back in the 1970s and she was incredibly kind and so delightful to visit with. To this day, after 40 years, I can remember her so vividly...as if it were only yesterday.

After years of reading and enjoying this board, this is actually the first time I attempt to post a comment. The opportunity to write a word of tribute here about Grace Lee Whitney is indeed very welcomed as the world will be poorer for her leaving us.
What's on Barbara's mind, Charlie? Is she about to go into action as that domino dare-doll, Batgirl?
Even luckier for us, she's Batgirl, the supremely feminine scourge of all that is criminal!
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

I agree.RIP.
WayneGrayson

Post by WayneGrayson »

epaddon wrote:Her life was very full to live to age 85, but even so I think her passing again reveals how harder it is to accept it when its these people from the 1960s who are eternally preserved at the peak of their youth and beauty in high-definition color. It's different from when the famous people from the 1930s and 1940s were leaving us because since they came from a distant era of black-and-white it was always easier to accept the idea of them growing old and leaving us. That's something I find myself increasingly self-conscious about as more people from the 1960s died...RIP to a fine lady and Godspeed.
I completely agree with your take on 60s vs 30s/40s. people. To this day I have a hard time dealing with the deaths of the two Beatles. Because we were around when they were popular, they sort of feel like peers to us in a way.

I hardly ever watched Star Trek very much and don't remember her in that cast, but I loved her in the Tut episode. She was really funny: "I don't give a darn about YOU, Robin, but I want HER OUT OF HERE!" :lol:
K.G. Bird

Post by K.G. Bird »

epaddon wrote:Her life was very full to live to age 85, but even so I think her passing again reveals how harder it is to accept it when its these people from the 1960s who are eternally preserved at the peak of their youth and beauty in high-definition color. It's different from when the famous people from the 1930s and 1940s were leaving us because since they came from a distant era of black-and-white it was always easier to accept the idea of them growing old and leaving us. That's something I find myself increasingly self-conscious about as more people from the 1960s died.

Her "Batman" appearance was her first acting job on film after her unfortunate firing from "Star Trek" (which as High C notes, came on the heels of being sexually assaulted by an executive associated with the show) so I know she had to be glad for the job even if it was a comedown for someone who had started the season as the #3 billed performer of the Trek cast (publicity material was putting her even more important than DeForrest Kelley's Dr. McCoy). Her role as Nella in many respects calls to mind her part as the hooker "Kiki The Cossack" in the 1963 movie "Irma La Douce" with Shirley MacLaine and Jack Lemmon and I suspect was another reason why she got the part.

RIP to a fine lady and Godspeed.
I agree, it is very difficult to see these celebrities who played important roles for us pass away. The 2 Beatles, Davy Jones, Fess Parker, Leonard Nimoy, and a thousand others. It is shocking to watch retro TV and see these celebrities in their prime and then see them as senior citizens but we are talking about 40-50 years later. It reminds me that if these beautiful, successful people age and die, what chance do we have. Sorry, I know it is morbid but inevitable.

I think a lot of people who are really into old TV have a very romanced memory of being young again. In some way it is like a time machine which lets us travel back to those fond times. A time when we were young and healthy and so were our parents. We had little or no responsibilities and knew nothing of the cares of adulthood. The Peter Pan in me resents the inexorable forced march through time. Sometimes I want to shout that I am still that kid but hidden in a middle-age body. Again, sorry to be heavy.
"Really Dick! I fear some recent romantic interlude has fevered your imagination. Aunt Harriet is..utterly..beyond..reproach".