Catwoman story - Parts Thirty-One to Thirty-Three (the end)

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

elmrgraham

Re: Catwoman story - Part Eighteen: Baiting the Trap

Post by elmrgraham »

Purrfect.
dell

Re: Catwoman story - Part Twenty: Batman Races to the Academy

Post by dell »

Part 20: Batman Races to the Academy

Batman, alone in the Batmobile, races towards the school. Even though Robin may be in mortal danger, Batman knows he still needs to follow his standard practice and take several random turns along the route to make sure no one can ever trace the Batmobile back to stately Wayne Manor. His blood turns cold every time he deviates from the shortest route, but he knows that the revelation of their true identities would be just as fatal as any of Catwoman’s traps.

Finally, Batman spots the academy and turns onto the well appointed drive. A guard rushes over as the Batmobile as it pulls up to the entrance gate. Batman quickly explains that he needs to speak to Principal Balding as soon as possible. The guard gives Batman directions to the administration building and then rushes to the phone to contact Principal Balding to tell him that Batman needs to speak with him immediately.

Less than five minutes later the two men are in Principal Balding’s office. Principle Balding looked at Batman with a concerned expression, “It’s a great honor to meet you Batman, but I can’t imagine why you’re here. I’m just a humble principal of an all-girls school.”

Batman is working hard to suppress his anxiety because he knows every second counts. However, his vast experience in fighting crime, and as the director of the Wayne Foundation, has taught him that nuance and the gentle approach yield far more fruitful information than being assertive or rushing people to give an answer. If he forcefully demanded information from the principal, the man might be intimidated and overlook the piece of information that could be the key to finding Robin. “I’m just following up on the speech that the Boy Wonder gave at your school earlier today.”

Principal Balding visibly relaxed and smiled, “Oh my, oh my, Robin’s speech will be remembered as one of the highlights of this school year. The students, and I dare say, all of the faculty, were deeply touched by his speech on good citizenship.”

Batman forced himself to smile even as he pictured Robin in one of Catwoman’s devious traps. He decided to keep up the façade that this was simply a casual visit so as to keep the principal at ease. “Robin and I have found that preventing crime is far more effective than fighting crime.” Principal Balding was about to respond, but Batman cut him off. “Along that line, have you notice any unusual happenings at the school or in the surrounding neighborhood?”

“I can’t say that I have Batman. This is a very quiet area, well, as quiet as it can be when you have 300 teenage girls in one place.”

Disappointed that his question led to a dead end, Batman took another track. “Has anything changed at the school recently?”

“Not too much Batman, just the usual sort of things.”

Intrigued, Batman asks, “The usual sort of things, such as?”

“We review all of our courses every year to make sure everything is relevant to the girls’ education. We had several people retire last year and we hired replacements. We opened our new gymnasium that we built with a donation from one of our former students. As I said, just the usual sort of tasks that fall on a principal and his school.”

Sensing a possible clue, Batman presses the issue. “The new people you hired, do you have a list?”

The principal puffs up with pride, “I can do better than that Batman! We keep full files on all of our employees. Let me get them for you.”

The principal opens a file cabinet and pulls out three file folders. “The first file is on our new history teacher, Mr. Stanley.” Batman quickly flips through the file folder and finds the 8 by 10 photo of the history teacher. Not recognizing him as any known criminal he quickly closes a folder.

The principal hands him the second folder, “This folder is for our new drama teacher, Kitty Daniels.” Batman’s pulse quickens as he hears the name. As before he quickly flips through the folder until he finds a photo of the new teacher. He realizes instantly that it’s not Catwoman. He dejectedly hands back the folder to the principal.

And here is the folder for the last of our new employees, Miss Kyle who has taken over as our physical education teacher. Batman flips through the folder, but doesn’t find a photo. He looks up at the principal, “There doesn’t seem to be a photo of Miss Kyle.”

“Oh that can’t be Batman, we take photos of all our employees and place them in the personnel files. It may have just fallen out. I’ll have a look in the file cabinet.”

As Principal Balding searches for the photo Batman flips back to the front of the file and reviews the resume of Selena Kyle. The resume provides no useful information until he reads the references line. He softly speaks the name of each of the listed references, “P. N. Gwyn, Clavier Ankh, Edward Nigma, and Dr. Somnambula.”

Principal Balding turns back to face Batman and puffs up his chest as he hears Batman read the names. “Most impressive Batman, wouldn’t you say?”

All four references list the same phone number, one Batman recognizes as the main switchboard for Gotham State Penitentiary. “Principal Balding, didn’t you find it odd that all four men have the same phone number?”

“Well of course Batman, but the receptionist explained that it was a large hospital and I was calling the main switchboard. The man at the switchboard quickly connected me to each of the men I needed to talk to.” And then without waiting for an answer he continues, “And they all praised Miss Kyle’s abilities. They were absolutely correct, I couldn’t ask for a better teacher. She’s everything we imagined and more. She’s really whipped the girls into shape.” Turning his attention back to the file cabinet he proclaims, “The photo doesn’t seem to be here Batman. How very odd.”

Batman is convinced that he’s found where Catwoman has been operating from, now he just needs to find her cat lair and Robin.
dell
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

Purrfect.
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

Thanks for sharing more of this Dell.

The details you include are interesting.
dell

Re: Catwoman story - Part Twenty-one: The Emergency Beacon Goes Unheard

Post by dell »

Part 21: The Emergency Beacon Goes Unheard

Having been reactivated by Catwoman, Robin’s Bat-transmitter sends its locating beacon back to the Batcave… where there is no one to hear it. Alfred, having just left and gone to prepare dinner for Mrs. Cooper.

Alfred looks in on Mrs. Cooper before he heads to the kitchen to prepare dinner. “Madam, I’m afraid that you’ll be dining alone tonight as Mr. Bruce and Master Dick won’t be joining you. With the world famous Cobalt Cougar Diamond on display at the Wayne Geological Society, Mr. Wayne felt it was prudent to check on security.”

“Security my eye! I know those two and what they’re up to!”

Alfred takes a step back and proclaims, “Indeed madam!”

“Of course I do. I know a lot more of what goes on around here than you think. Those two aren’t checking on security!”

Alfred, keeps his cool as every gentleman’s gentleman should, but he prepares himself to hear the worst. Mrs. Cooper continues, “Those two are like two little boys on Christmas Eve; they can’t wait to see was under the tree, or in this case, what’s in the museum! They just had to take a sneak peek at that diamond! They can’t wait like the rest of us have to.”

Alfred relaxes and breathes a sigh of relief, “You know them quite well madam.”

“Of course I do Alfred. Oh well, let the boys have their fun; they both work hard and deserve to relax once in awhile.”

“Very true madam.”

“Besides, I can’t wait to get back to my book, ‘The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax’ by this new author, Dorothy Gilman*. It’s about this woman in her sixties who goes to work for the CIA. She’s just been a normal person all her life and then one day decides to go to work for the CIA. She’s the perfect spy as no one would expect a woman her age to be up to no good. Imagine, having a secret life and no one in your family or your friends knew anything about it.”

“It’s hard to believe madam.”

“I think I could do it Alfred. I’m just like this Mrs. Pollifax, a nice older lady who never does anything that she shouldn’t do. No one would ever suspect me of being a spy, would they?”

“No… no, I can’t imagine anyone suspecting you of being a spy madam.”

“And you could help me Alfred. Wouldn’t it be exciting? Imagine, having a secret identity. And you’d have to have one too if you helped me.”

“I’m afraid I have to pass on your offer madam; I’m just not very good at keeping secrets.”

Mrs. Cooper shakes her head and picks up her book. “At least Mrs. Pollifax has an interesting life.”

* I looked up popular books published in 1966 so that I could use a real book in the story. Much to my surprise I saw that ‘The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax’ was published in 1966. This was a book my wife read and then gave it to me. The book is very much like Mrs. Cooper described it. This woman in her sixties decides it’s just too boring tending flowers and cleaning the house all day, so she joins the CIA. At first she is simply dismissed by almost everyone at the CIA as an oddity and completely incapable of doing anything, but she proves her detractors completely wrong. Since no one would ever suspect her of being a spy, she is in fact, the perfect spy. I would classify these books as light, but entertaining reading. Check out your local library or bookstore as there’s a whole series of Mrs. Pollifax books.
dell
dell

Re: Catwoman story - Part Twenty Two: Gotham City Panics

Post by dell »

Part 22: Gotham City Panics

Catwoman drops off her protégés in three different neighborhoods; each of them about a mile from the Wayne Geological Society building. By walking at a good pace the three young women should reach the Wayne Geological Society building in about 20 minutes. But this won’t be just a leisurely stroll; chaos will follow in the wake of the young women.

Armed with a dozen smoke bombs in each of their purses, Catwoman intends for her protégés to drop the smoke bombs in the doorways of shops, into mailboxes and roll them under cars. Each smoke bomb is fitted with a 30 second delay to allow the young women to get out of the area before the smoke starts. With the recent burglaries and smoke bomb attacks still fresh in the minds of business owners, it won’t take long before the switchboards at the police and fire departments are flooded with panicked phone calls. And this will create so much bedlam that the Gotham City Police will be forced to abandon their heavy security at the Wayne Geological Society. After that, Catwoman can casually saunter into the Wayne Geological Society building and stroll back out with the Cobalt Cougar Diamond.

To assist her minions in carrying out their assignments, Kitty, Katya and Katrina are all dressed as Gotham City meter maids. The uniforms will allow them to avoid arousing suspicion as they walk through the neighborhoods. And the uniforms will be even more useful once they reach their destination.

Purrcisely at 10:00 in the evening, all three young women activate the first of their smoke bombs. Katya and Katrina drop their smoke bombs in the doorways of the shops they robbed just a few days ago. Katrina, having had a more harrowing experience at Gato and Nephews Fine Jewelry Emporium, steers clear of the shop she robbed. Instead, she mischievously rolls her smoke bomb underneath the rear end of a Gotham City squad car. She then playfully pauses at the expired parking meter and pretends to reach into her purse for her citation book. The two officers inside the squad car stare open mouthed at the audacity of the beautiful meter maid who actually is thinking about giving them a ticket. Before they can roll down the window to say anything, Kitty gives the officers a flirtatious wave and then she spins on her heels and marches away. Moments later smoke is pouring out from underneath the squad car and the officers have a far more serious problem to deal with.

Each of the young women devises a different method for deploying her smoke bombs. Katrina drops smoke bombs in front of three adjacent storefronts to create the illusion of a large fire. Katya deploys a single smoke bomb approximately every minute to spread her chaos as widely as possible. Meanwhile, Kitty was having fun picking targets of opportunity. She dropped smoke bombs at three different intersections causing minor traffic accidents and snarling traffic. She dropped one outside a cigar store and wondered if people would even notice the extra smoke. She even threw one inside a truck delivering blocks of ice and watched for a few seconds as people gathered around and stared as a truck full of ice seemed to burn.

Within 10 minutes the young women had deployed all of their smoke bombs. All of them were at least half a mile from the Wayne Geological Society as the intent was to draw the police away from their target. Finished with the first part of their assignment, all three women now marched resolutely towards the Wayne Geological Society and the Cobalt Cougar Diamond.

Meanwhile, Catwoman waited a few minutes for her minions to deploy some of their smoke bombs before she entered the phone booth across the street from the Wayne Geological Society. Earlier in the day, dressed as Selena Kyle, she had used the phone booth to make sure the phone was working. She also surreptitiously disabled the lights inside the phone booth and on the street corner, so that when she returned later that evening as Catwoman, no one would see her making phone calls.

Catwoman quickly dialed the phone number for the police and reported seeing smoke at several local businesses. She smiled as the operator at the police switchboard replied that they had already received at least two dozen phone calls regarding fires in the same general area. All available fire trucks and squad cars were being dispatched to handle the emergency.

While on the phone with the switchboard operator, Catwoman watched the front door of the Wayne Geological Society with great interest. Six squad cars had been parked outside when she first arrived, but so far ten officers had run out and raced away leaving just two squad cars in front of the building. And as she expected, with so many police officers coming and going, the front door has remained unlocked. So Kitty, Katya and Katrina will be able to just walk right in as soon as they arrive and start phase three of her plan.

The harried switchboard operator talking to Catwoman is practically in tears. She apologizes that she has to disconnect as the calls are continuing to pour in. Catwoman hangs up the phone and has an urge to howl with delight; every part of her plan is working purrfectly.
dell
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

Purrfect.
Bat-Tiger

Post by Bat-Tiger »

I'm going to have to take some time to read your whole story. What I've seen looks good so far. Keep it up.
/|\=^..^=/|\
dell

Re: Catwoman story - Part Twenty Three: Batman Finds the Cat Lair

Post by dell »

Sorry I took such a long break. I have 8 more parts planned and the good news is that 6 of them are already completed. Here is the latest:

Part 23: Batman Finds the Cat Lair

Batman knows that he’s close to Catwoman’s lair as he leaves Principal Balding’s office. He returns to the Batmobile and sees the red phone blinking. He quickly snatches the phone from its cradle and states, “Batman speaking!”

Alfred replies, “Oh, thank heavens sir! I’ve been trying to contact you for the last 15 minutes! Master Robin’s emergency beacon has been activated!”

“Do you have a position Alfred?”

“Yes sir, I was able to determine the position relative to the Batmobile. The beacon is 325 yards due north of you.”

Batman excitedly exclaims, “Good job Alfred. I’ll call you back after I’ve found Robin!”

Batman jumps into the Batmobile, makes a quick right turn and drives north a little over 300 yards to the academy’s old, abandoned gymnasium. He leaps out of the Batmobile and races to the front door. He’s about to grab the door handle when he decides caution is necessary. He quickly examines the door for possible booby traps, but finds nothing. He also quickly scans the area around the door and spots Robin’s emergency beacon lying in the bushes. Now he knows for certain he’s on the right track.

He knows time is of the essence, but haste could send him into one of Catwoman’s traps. He slowly opens the door and cautiously enters the gymnasium. Hallways to his left, his right and straight ahead lead off into the gloom of the abandoned building. He extracts his Bat-light from his utility belt and in turn shines it down each of the hallways.

Nothing indicates which way might lead him to Catwoman’s lair and to Robin. He’s about to head to his left, when he hears an indistinct sound coming from the hallway directly ahead of him. He moves cautiously in that direction. One hundred feet down the hallway and he is again confronted with a decision. Stairs leading up, another set leading down and a hallway to the right are his options. As before, nothing indicates which is the proper path to take.

He turns off the Bat-light and is plunged into near darkness. The only thing he can see is the light coming from the window in the door he used to enter the gymnasium. Then, as his eyes adjust, he detects a faint glow coming from the stairs leading up. Snapping on the Bat-light once again, he races up the first flight of stairs. From somewhere above he hears the growl of a large cat. His heart starts to pound furiously as he knows the growl and Robin’s fate are intertwined.

Abandoning caution he races up several flights of stairs until he comes to a door. He throws the door open and stops cold; fifty feet away Robin is hanging by his wrists… and seems to be slowly descending.
dell
elmrgraham

Re: Catwoman story - Part Twenty Three: Batman Finds the Cat Lair

Post by elmrgraham »

Purrfect.
dell

Re: Catwoman story - Part Twenty Four: The Cobalt Cougar Takes a Walk

Post by dell »

Part 24: The Cobalt Cougar Takes a Walk

Coming from three different directions, the three counterfeit meter maids arrived at the Wayne Geological Society just seconds apart. Moments later the trio marched smartly through the unlocked front door and into the display room that held the Cobalt Cougar Diamond. The six policemen simply stared in astonishment as Kitty approached Chief O’Hara and snapped a perfect salute. “Meter maids O’Casey, O’Connor and O’Dell reporting as ordered Chief O’Hara. Commissioner Gordon pulled us off meter maid duty and told us to relieve you, and as many of your men as you needed, to answer all of the alarms.”

The chief was overjoyed, “It’s as if I found a pot o’ gold at the end of the rainbow.” He turned to his men, “O’Malley, O’Leary and O’Donnell stay here with the ladies and guard the diamond.” He turned to the other two officers, “O’Neil and O'Sullivan, you come with me. ”

Immediately after the Chief and his two officers rushed off Sergeant O’Malley turned to the new arrivals and growled, “Each o’ yah meter maids should pair up with one o’ us REAL police officers… you just might learn something about actual police work.”

Kitty smiled and said, “I know somebody’s going to learn a lesson today.” The three young women each chose a police officer and took up position slightly to the left and behind their selected officer. Less than 10 seconds later all three men were lying unconscious on the floor with a cat dart in the middle of their back.

Kitty turned to Katrina, “Go unlock the back door for Catwoman.”

But just as Katrina turned to perform her task Catwoman sauntered into the room. “Well done kittens, well done.” She puts her hands on her hips and in a humorous tone states, “I let myself in the back door while you were taking care of the guards. A little lock picking practice never hurts. Now, let’s get down to business and grab that diamond!”

The four women move over to the display case and gaze at the beautiful Cobalt Cougar Diamond. Catwoman allows everyone a few seconds to appreciate the beautiful diamond before she orders Katya and Katrina to move to the windows to keep an eye out for any unexpected visitors. She tells Kitty to lock the front door and then handcuff the unconscious officers with their own handcuffs.

As her minions perform their tasks, Catwoman turns her attention to the display case. She stares at the diamond as it glistens seductively inside its secure case. She bites her lower lip and longs to hold the diamond in her paws.

Catwoman examines the display case carefully; she knows that there are numerous security devices hidden in the case and that she must disable all of them in order to retrieve her prize. She smiles confidently as she knows that as the greatest cat burglar in the world, the security devices will merely delay her theft of the diamond; not prevent it. Three minutes later the case is open.

Catwoman reaches into the case and picks up the fabulous diamond. She holds it up to let the light dance off the perfectly cut facets. She then calls to her kittens and the three young women come scampering to marvel at the huge diamond held delicately in Catwoman’s paw. The feline felon whispers, “Another lesson girls, never linger at the scene of the crime. You’ve all done well tonight. Lets go!” And with that the four women skulk out the back door and disappear into the night.
dell
elmrgraham

Re: Catwoman story - Part Twenty Four: The Cobalt Cougar Takes a Walk

Post by elmrgraham »

Purrfect again.
dell

Re: Catwoman story - Part Twenty Five: Batman Walks a Tightrope

Post by dell »

Fighting the urge to rush in, Batman suspects that several traps might await him. He silently moves closer carefully examining his surroundings before taking the next step.

Suddenly, Robin calls out, “Batman! Hurry! They can almost reach me!”

It’s then that Batman sees a paw narrowly miss Robin as the Boy Wonder lifts his legs and dodges the cougar’s strike. Batman hears the fatigue in Robin’s voice as he proclaims, “I can’t do this much longer Batman!”

Batman knows that caution and a slow pace is his best course of action to protect himself, but it could very well mean the difference between life and death for Robin. Seeing no obvious place for a trap he rushes to the end of the concrete. The last three feet of the viewing area separating him from the pit is a wooden platform. The platform circles the pit. A quick glance gives the impression that the platform is solid.
Part 25: Batman Walks a Tightrope

Batman starts to step onto the wooden platform, but freezes in mid step. He closes his eyes and sniffs the air. Robin’s hope quickly face to despair; Batman was so close, but now he’s stopped and unmoving. The leaping cougars are getting closer.

Batman mulls over the smell. Having determined the aroma he knows what to do. He removes a small aerosol can from his utility belt and searches the crack between the concrete and the wooden platform. Finding the spot he’s looking for, he aims the aerosol can into the crack and sprays a two second burst.

Replacing the aerosol can back into his utility belt he tentatively steps onto the wooden platform. The platform seems to hold any cautiously makes his way to the railing. Once again he reaches into his utility belt for a specialized tool. This time he aims a small gun at the far wall and pulls the trigger. A razor sharp arrowhead is pushed out of the gun barrel by a jet of super compressed air. The arrowhead is trailing a thin steel cable as it embeds itself into the concrete wall. The arrowhead past a good foot above Robin’s head so there is no way he can pull himself up and grab the cable. Batman locks the cable release mechanism on the gun and quickly ties the cable and gun to the railing.

The cats are agitated by the arrival of this new person and his strange actions. They don’t know what he’s doing, but they fear their dinner is in jeopardy. They are leaping at Robin in desperation and are now routinely hitting his feet with their massive paws. So far they haven’t been able to dig in their claws and pull him down, but as he continues to sink, it’s only a matter of time before they will snag their prey.

Robin steals an occasional glance away from a cougars to see how the rescue is progressing. On his latest glance he is stunned to see Batman standing on the railing and take a step out onto the cable he just fired into the far wall. With nothing but his outstretched arms to provide balance, Batman is walking out onto the thin cable!
dell
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

Purrfect.
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

Can you provide pictures with your story?