George Sanders as Mr. Freeze

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

George Sanders as Mr. Freeze

Post by bat-rss »

Our latest To the Batpoles! podcast is up. We discuss Sanders' performance as Mr. Freeze (somewhat disappointing to one such as Paul, who's seen a lot of his other work). Also: Why did the writers make Batman responsible for Mr. Freeze’s condition? Where else did Shelby Grant and Robert Hogan appear? And the usual plausibility concerns — but maybe logical plotting just wasn't a priority on ‘60s TV?

http://tothebatpoles.libsyn.com/008-san ... -left-cold
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
Gernot

Re: George Sanders as Mr. Freeze

Post by Gernot »

Having Batman be responsible for Mr. Freeze's condition may have been part of the way they skirted around Two-Face. Batman always felt responsible for what happened to Harvey Dent, and without having his frightening visage on TV, may have been the way to go with that. It also showed the kids that Batman wasn't perfect (not that I ever believed anything like THAT back then), but also kind'a made Batman a bit of a tragic figure.
WayneGrayson

Post by WayneGrayson »

I thought it added realism to the episode. Batman has always regretted the moves he made which put Freeze into his condition. It was really nice to hear the origin of a villain, much the same as Bruce Wayne hinting at the origins of Batman. Now - if only they could have mentioned Robin's origin. That would have been purr-fect for the Zelda episodes. Holy Kindergarten, think of it - Robin could have kept the dynamic duo one step ahead of her with his circus background.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Ironic that approximately six weeks before he appeared on Batman, Sanders played a villain on The Man From UNCLE whose lair is in the frigid Yukon.
Golddragon71

Post by Golddragon71 »

I was thinking about the question of how Robin got around on his own when Batman had the Batmobile and it was always my belief that after Batman left, Robin used the Hotline in Gordon's office to call Alfred who would pick Robin up in a Limousine that wasn't identifiable as belonging to Bruce Wayne.(Much the way Alfred Drove the Batmobile in the Movie.
"Someone might be able to substitute for Batman, for a very short time, but no one could ever replace him!"
Mr Chronos

Post by Mr Chronos »

Bond Villan Freeze! Would have been interesting to see shelby grant as his moll!