Batman 66 #24

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

celestialhost

Batman 66 #24

Post by celestialhost »

I got my copy of the Batman 66 #24 today featuring Marsha Queen of Diamonds second appearance in the comic.

Being a huge fan of Marsha, I loved it. I actually liked it better than the previous story with Marsha. It had great artwork (and the art in this series has varied a lot).

I have found myself becoming something of a purist when reading this series. I tend to like it best when it tries to recreate the feel of the TV series, rather than doing clever stuff or bringing in comic continuity villains. I don't think I will bother reading the Harley Quinn issues next month, that character just would not fit in Batman 66. #24 is a story that truly captures the essence of the series. It's a straightforward old fashioned caper.

I read an online review that suggested that before this issue Marsha has never had a story that really worked for her. While I love her episodes, I think he is sort of right on that. This is an issue that plays to Marsha's strengths and allows her to show her glamour.

She also gets an outfit in this issue that suits her a lot more than some of the stuff she has previously worn. And we get a lovely picture of her being led away in handcuffs, promising revenge on the Dynamic Duo.

10/10
High C

Re: Batman 66 #24

Post by High C »

Interesting. I'm glad it has stories that are enjoyable for people. I myself am disappointed that Siren hasn't made a return appearance after a caper early in the run that, quite frankly, was beneath her capabilities. It also was frustrating that, to the best of my knowledge, they didn't even make an attempt to secure the rights to Joan Collins' likeness.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
brightknight

Post by brightknight »

celestialhost wrote:I don't think I will bother reading the Harley Quinn issues next month, that character just would not fit in Batman 66.
I think she would have given the villains did have molls.
celestialhost

Post by celestialhost »

brightknight wrote:
celestialhost wrote:I don't think I will bother reading the Harley Quinn issues next month, that character just would not fit in Batman 66.
I think she would have given the villains did have molls.
Harley Quinn is not just a moll. She worked in Arkham Asylum. She represents an whole concept of the Batman villains being insane. That idea is foreign to the Batman TV Series.

Adam West's Batman may occasionally say "Penguin.. you are insane," but that is in the heat of the moment. He normally explains the behaviour of the villains in terms of criminology rather than madness. Dressing up in a costume is simply normal behaviour for a Gotham criminal in the TV series.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

I really enjoyed the artwork, More Batman, less Batman Adventures. Your thoughts?
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
celestialhost

Post by celestialhost »

Szabol wrote:I really enjoyed the artwork, More Batman, less Batman Adventures. Your thoughts?
The artwork on Batman 66 #24? Yes, I loved it
Dave from the UK

Post by Dave from the UK »

It's worth a mention that's issue 25 has a back up story featuring United Underworld that is drawn by Ty Templeton (Who drew Batman meets the Green Hornet). So if the Harley Quin story isn't your cup of tea this might be.

I'd just like to mention that Ty Templeton might just be my favourite artist on the '66 interiors so far.
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

I think Jeff Parker is doing a good job introducing modern villains with the '66 concept; the stories have a lighter touch.

Sure, it'll be good to see other villains from the series, such as the Minstrel. In one issue there's background references to other characters, one of which is Nora Clavicle, I think. He'll probably get to writing about them the longer the comic goes on.
riddler123

Post by riddler123 »

I have noticed that when they introduce characters from the wider DC universe they appear alongside a 66 villain. So Poison Ivy appears in a story with Louie the Lilac (makes sence) while Bane will be introduced in a Riddler story.

Personally I prefer to see more of Bookworm, King Tut Egghead etc than these other villains who have a wealth of stories already out there. The loss of False Face p***ed me off no end.