Yvonne Craig - May 16, 1937 – August 17, 2015 :(

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Batman1962

Re: Yvonne Craig - May 16, 1937 – August 17, 2015 :(

Post by Batman1962 »

For those of you who don't know, MeTV has been showing Batman on Saturday nights; as they say, check your local listings. Tomorrow night, in addition to a couple of the Batgirl episodes, they're going to show the Star Trek episode she was on.

Rest in peace, Yvonne.
ChAnOoD

Post by ChAnOoD »

Too bad to find these sad news. I just came back from some free days to discover Yvonne´s gone. R.I.P.
PimpMyBatmobile.Com

Post by PimpMyBatmobile.Com »

The past couple days have been awash with small traumas and daily grind stuff here. Dental surgery yesterday for one thing. So I cobbled this together and posted it elsewhere, forgetting to stop over here and add my thoughts to the collective. Nothing that hasn't been said already I'm sure - but I wanted to make sure I represented.

Those of you that know me well enough to know that I'm a big Batman geek, also know that over the years, I've been fortunate enough to step "slightly" over the fan line and work with a few of these folks on a more professional level. Not a lot, but back in the day a few of them have been interested in some of the projects I've pitched or found myself involved in. Some were carried through to fruition - some were blocked by nuanced legal issues. But they were all adventures and learning experiences. Adam West, Van Williams, Walter Koenig - it's a small but diverse list. They've all been interesting to say the least. I think it's a strange, sad situation when you're beloved by millions of people who remember and fawn over you, yet you can't draw a paycheck based on nostalgia, and the Rib Fest organizers that you've been invited to are making more than you are for your autograph...

In my dealings with celebrities, it has always been a dear thing to me that the ONE star who I idolized and was SO into as a young boy turned out to be the ONE star who was open, approachable, friendly, and accessible to me later as an adult fan. I first interviewed Yvonne for a magazine (it made the cover!) in 1995 and we stayed loosely in touch after that.

It would be overstating it to say we had a "friendship." But if you mentioned my name to Ms. Craig, she would quickly acknowledge who you were talking about. Then she would ask you about you. Then she would tell you a story about her time on photo-safari that tied into your experiences and made you feel good. Like you had just made a new friend. That's how she was.

At a goofy, unlikely regional convention that we were both guests at in 2008 in Ohio, she had turned her ankle and arrived in a wheelchair. She seemed dismayed that she had to have help to be pushed around, while Julie Newmar, Burt Ward, Lee Merriwether, even Malachai Throne ambled around the place of their own free will. It was my absolute pleasure and honor to have been knighted to push Ms. Craig around the Youngstown convention hall for for a little part of the show. (Fan Boy - through and through) Though, as Tara and Tim and any onlookers will attest, I had to elbow her sister Meridel out of the way a few times to do so.

So I wasn't "close' to her. But I guess it's okay to call her a friend. I called her a couple times a year, including her birthday, and she called or emailed me - lets say "once in a while". She was an amazing, vivacious blend of someone who loved life, had gotten the whole meta-point of her place in pop culture, but only rode it a little, usually under duress or a sense of commemoration. And she hadn't given a rats' ***Censored on this rated G site*** about the politics or machinations of Hollywood or show business in 30 years. She did a few jobs and then moved on to enjoy her life.

From my vantage point, she was an incredibly classy, fun-loving, witty and smart person who did what a lot of actors don't do - she left it all behind to go enjoy life, family, and travel. Big time.

So it is with a heavy heart that I report and chime in on what the whole world by now knows.
She wasn't a family member. Not a close friend. But she's missed all the same. So there you go. Batgirl is gone.

R.I.P. Ms. Craig. Way too young and unfair. Like always.
bathound

Post by bathound »

I watched the Me-TV tribute tonight and was very glad they cared enough to acknowledge Ms. Craig when all the other networks would only briefly mention her passing on their evening newscasts. I realize Me-TV does this whenever an actor or actress from the past dies, but it was truly special in this case for 1966 Batman fans considering the 50th anniversary is only a few months from now.
Although I never had the pleasure of meeting Ms. Craig, I was a fan and felt as though she was a friend because the 1966 Batman TV show represents such fond memories of my childhood and has such special meaning to me(as well as a lot of other members on this website) Ms. Craig appeared to be a very beautiful and friendly person and I envy everyone who had the opportunity to actually meet her.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

bathound wrote:I watched the Me-TV tribute tonight and was very glad they cared enough to acknowledge Ms. Craig when all the other networks would only briefly mention her passing on their evening newscasts. I realize Me-TV does this whenever an actor or actress from the past dies, but it was truly special in this case for 1966 Batman fans considering the 50th anniversary is only a few months from now.
Although I never had the pleasure of meeting Ms. Craig, I was a fan and felt as though she was a friend because the 1966 Batman TV show represents such fond memories of my childhood and has such special meaning to me(as well as a lot of other members on this website) Ms. Craig appeared to be a very beautiful and friendly person and I envy everyone who had the opportunity to actually meet her.
For the Louie the Lilac episode, it seemed especially appropriate that Richard Bakalyan (who played the henchman in Barbara Gordon's apartment) was in it, since he also passed away this year--in February. Then, seeing Yvonne interact with Leonard Nimoy on Star Trek, who actually died the same day as Bakalyan, added to the poignancy.
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

Tip of the cowl to Chuck Williams for the inspiration on this one.
Attachments
BFM FB Banner Batgirl Tribute.jpg
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
JRcostumes1977

Post by JRcostumes1977 »

My prayers and condolencaes go out to ya'll.
jjkandlak

Post by jjkandlak »

Classy lady! Met her in Orlando at a con many years ago...
YC.jpg
YC.jpg (95.08 KiB) Viewed 7069 times
Matt Helm

Post by Matt Helm »

I have been silent on the issue of Yvonne's passing.I have been in shock about it,and unable to discuss it out loud. For the past two years,I have suffered loss of my wife of 30 years to divorce,my only daughter,who wants nothing to do with me,and my German Shepard.This year has been full of more loss.We have lost several actors from Batman this year.With the loss of Yvonne,it really hits home for all of us.She was so good to many of us. I will never forget meeting her for the first time.My daughter wore the Batgirl costume,like from the show.We had a great time chatting with Yvonne and Meridel that day.You have been in my prays.RIP Yvonne Craig.Thank you for the smiles and memories.
NJ_Batfan

Post by NJ_Batfan »

Those of you who grew up reading Marvel and DC Comics in the 70s may be familiar with writer Tony Isabella, who created Black Lightning. He shares a touching personal recollection of Yvonne which left me smiling. I hope it brings a smile to your face, too.

http://tonyisabella.blogspot.com/2015/0 ... -2015.html
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Yvonne was snubbed for the Emmy In Memorium reel. It can't be a timing issue, since Dean Jones was included and he passed away after Yvonne. :|
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

That's too bad, but I would guess she's considered primarily a film actress in the industry and outside of Batman fandom. Prior to the show she appeared in a number of high profile films. She'll almost certainly be shown in the Oscar reel. It was in the news that Christopher Lee wasn't mentioned at the emmys either, but I think it would be surprising if he had. He was a film and horror legend, but seemed to do TV just occasionally for kicks.
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
NJ_Batfan

Post by NJ_Batfan »

Yvonne did a significant number of guest appearances on television, both before and after wearing the bat-suit. The advent of diginets like MeTV and Antenna TV has me scouring the listings for episodes in which she appeared. I was going to watch the Emmys if only to see if she was in the tribute, so I'm glad I didn't waste my time. She deserved better.