Was Yvonne the First Female Superhero on Film?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Hedji

Was Yvonne the First Female Superhero on Film?

Post by Hedji »

On the Batcave Podcast tribute to Yvonne episode, the question was posed, was she the first female Superhero on live-action film? I'm not familiar enough with any of the serials to definitively answer. Did Mary Marvel appear in any live action film? Did any other costumed female superhero (in the traditional sense) pre-date Yvonne Craig's Batgirl?
Aussie Batfan

Re: Was Yvonne the First Female Superhero on Film?

Post by Aussie Batfan »

Some of the tribute telecasts last week stated that she was the first female superhero to appear in a live action medium.
I can't think of any predecessor..... I believe Supergirl, Batwoman and the original Bat-Girl were around in the comics, but none of these were live action.
Take care all,
Terry
That_weirdo_Cage

Post by That_weirdo_Cage »

The Wild World of Batwoman was made in 1966. Dozier made a goofy Wonder Woman pilot in 1967. Don't know if either of those would count. Batwoman in the first is not a typical superhero type. Wonder Woman wasn't shown to the public and wasn't a serious take on the genre.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

First live action costumed super heroine based on a comic book property? Yes.
While there were talks of a possible Wonder Woman serial, it never came together. There was a Brenda Starr one, but she was a comic hero with no costume.
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

All I can think of is the Tiger Woman serials with Linda Stirling from the 40's but that wasn't based on a comic.
lindastirling_tigerwoman.jpg
K.G. Bird

Post by K.G. Bird »

From everything I read she seemed like a wonderful person. I don't know what more to add than what was already posted but I am sad she is no longer with us. I really wish I would have met her.
"Really Dick! I fear some recent romantic interlude has fevered your imagination. Aunt Harriet is..utterly..beyond..reproach".
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

Sheena, Queen of the Jungle may have been earliest. A comics character that premiered before Wonder Woman, and was done as a TV series. She was however not a classic masked superhero character. By that standard, Bat-Woman from the cheap exploitation film made to cash in on the bat-craze was first.

ImageImage
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!