Batman '66 Lost Episode: Who would have played Two-Face

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

Batman '66 Lost Episode: Who would have played Two-Face

Post by bat-rss »

This week on Deconstructing Comics, Paul and I jumped over from our normal "To The Batpoles" perch to discuss "Batman '66: The Lost Episode", a comic based on a Batman '66 treatment by Harlan Ellison that would have introduced Two-Face to the Adam West Batman universe.

http://deconstructingcomics.com/?p=4969

Of course, we had to spend a little time considering what actor of the time might have made a good Two-Face. Anyone here have any ideas?
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
Lord Death Man

Re: Batman '66 Lost Episode: Who would have played Two-Face

Post by Lord Death Man »

bat-rss wrote:This week on Deconstructing Comics, Paul and I jumped over from our normal "To The Batpoles" perch to discuss "Batman '66: The Lost Episode", a comic based on a Batman '66 treatment by Harlan Ellison that would have introduced Two-Face to the Adam West Batman universe.

http://deconstructingcomics.com/?p=4969

Of course, we had to spend a little time considering what actor of the time might have made a good Two-Face. Anyone here have any ideas?
I have very much enjoyed the "To The Batpoles!" podcasts, especially the episodes like 1, 4, 6 and 12 that do not focus on individual episodes but specific aspects of the series. Thank you for taking the time to put them out!

As to your question, I think Anthony Perkins was born for the role.
He flies and fights-BATMAN!
Purity and virtue-BATMAN!
Cowards run away!
Batman saves the day!
Also, Boy Wonder Robin.
Batman and Robin-caped crusaders at night!
BIFF! POW! BAM! BATMAN!
Bill S.C.

Post by Bill S.C. »

I have a few: How about James Franciscus, Rhodes Reason, Ricardo Montalban, Russell Johnson, Rory Calhoun, Lyle Waggoner or Edson Stroll.
"Oh soon we'll be out amid the cold world's strife. Soon we'll be sliding down the razor blade of life." - Tom Lehrer
TBolt

Post by TBolt »

Alex Ross's cover looks like Cary Grant was cast by him.
To the Bat-Elephant!!
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Lord Death Man, glad you're enjoying them! Yeah, the non-episode review episodes are their own kind of fun. If you have any ideas for topics, let us know!

And thanks all for casting ideas. One person elsewhere pointed to a rumor that Clint Eastwood's name was actually thrown around as a possible Two-Face: http://about-faces.livejournal.com/79095.html
Lord Death Man

Post by Lord Death Man »

bat-rss wrote:Lord Death Man, glad you're enjoying them! Yeah, the non-episode review episodes are their own kind of fun. If you have any ideas for topics, let us know!
Well, since one of you is based in Tokyo, looking at 'Batmania' in Japan in the 60's (during the short time the series ran) would be fun-but maybe hard to research. An episode on the '66 Batman comic series DC puts out would be excellent, especially if you could line up an interview with Jeff Parker. A look at the different books and cast memoirs dealing with the series would be fine as well, especially with the new 'coffee table' book coming out in about a week.
Cowards run away!
Batman saves the day!
Also, Boy Wonder Robin.
BIFF! POW! BAM! BATMAN!
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Yes, I had originally thought about having Jeff Parker on, but Paul and I have been keeping up on the bi-weekly schedule much better than I had expected -- so much so that I would consider going weekly if I weren't already doing two *other* weekly podcasts! And I did have Parker on my Deconstructing Comics podcast about four years ago, so he'd probably remember me. I do intend to have more interviews on the show sooner or later. Reviewing books about the series would also be good.

Also, can anyone recommend an expert on the Batmobile? I understand there were several different cars? I'm no car expert, and might not even know the best questions to ask, but having someone on who I can just kinda wind up and let them expound on the Batmobile would be cool.
Lord Death Man

Post by Lord Death Man »

My husband 'hangs out' at the 1966 Batmobile Forum and thinks the site owner Eric Seltzer would be a great choice. You can contact him straight through the site.
Mr. Mark Racop, who builds licensed Batmobile replicas, would be another obvious expert. He posts on this board quite often.
Cowards run away!
Batman saves the day!
Also, Boy Wonder Robin.
BIFF! POW! BAM! BATMAN!
Riddler 66

Post by Riddler 66 »

Bill S.C. wrote:I have a few: How about James Franciscus, Rhodes Reason, Ricardo Montalban, Russell Johnson, Rory Calhoun, Lyle Waggoner or Edson Stroll.
All good ideas. Most references I've read state Clint Eastwood, then just ending Rawhide and not yet a major star, was being considered. I do like very much the ideas of James Franciscus or Rory Calhoun though, Rory was so great as a villain on Gilligan, an almost totally serious episode.
The trigger: one of my riddles!
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

Remember Batgirl gleefully spraying Louie The Lilac in the face with corrosive plant mildew?! But I suppose ratings were so low by then the network didn't give a damn what 'Batman' did. I wish they'd filmed the episode.

http://www.arkhamverse.com/news/2013/08 ... tv-series/

Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Lord Death Man, thanks for suggestions!

By the way -- you're also in Japan?
Lord Death Man

Post by Lord Death Man »

I am currently in the USA doing medical research but I normally live in Kyoto. '66 Bat-fans are somewhat difficult to come by there! ;)
Cowards run away!
Batman saves the day!
Also, Boy Wonder Robin.
BIFF! POW! BAM! BATMAN!