EMBARESSED BY "BATMAN" T.V SHOW ???/

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

chetchumley

EMBARESSED BY "BATMAN" T.V SHOW ???/

Post by chetchumley »

:oops: Most of us grew up during the original run,,,so this really relates to us older ? folk,, ;) ....anyway,,during the early to mid 70s...the show was not as beloved as it is today..much of the public..my friends included,,,thought the show was a joke,,,,stupid,,,etc,,etc,,,to me it didnt matter..i continued to go in at 4.30 weekdays to catch the show...while my friends continued to play...i would rejoin them after,,,,"BATMAN"..they had no choice...ha..ha..they were not BAT-FAN,S !!! at THIS time ! ;),,,another example is my cousin,,we both collected comic books....he was a SPIDERMAN fan....unlike him...i was not embaressed by comic books,,,or my love for the show,,,he chose to keep these facts to himself...as i got older..many friends would jokinly call me BATMAN...or reference the show towards me !! fast forward to mid 1980s.....partys at my house would include viewing the BATMAN 66 MOVIE...my friends were howling at scenes such as....the shark...bomb....etc..etc,,,BATMAN was back...and being accepted by the same people who ten years earlier wanted nothing to do with it...today we know its widely accepted and loved....but the best part,,,is ??? i never left !!! :lol: many people from this period would likely have gone through the same EMBARESSMENT ???? :oops: if anyone else can relate to this ??? love to hear your story !
AndyFish

Re: EMBARESSED BY "BATMAN" T.V SHOW ???/

Post by AndyFish »

There are still a lot of people who think the show is stupid-- and they're right with some of the episodes. But I've never been embarrassed to be a fan of the show, but then I've never been one to care what people think of me.
chetchumley

Post by chetchumley »

heck....even ADAM WEST admitted a little embaressment...during his early 80s car show , convention appearances...as " LONG AS THEY ARE AWAY FROM MY AREA"...he stated...i dont mind participating. ...lets not forget his "I,M NOT BATMAN anymore" period...early 70s...thats why he is notin the EQUAL RIGHTS commercial...with BURT & YVONNE.....it was a tough time for the STARS of the show.!!! and i,m sure SOME FANS??? kept there enthusiasm for the show to themselves??????????????????......of course 1989 changed everything......till THIS day!
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Adam had it in his mind that he would have a serious acting career after the show, and that wasn't the case. Same thing happened to Leonard Nimoy-- you could argue neither of them were destined to perform Shakespeare-- both distanced themselves from their roles until they were lured back-- Nimoy with the Animated Series and then feature film in 1979, Adam with the terrible Superhero Roast specials and then the Filmation animated show, then Superfriends eventually leading to voice acting for Adam.

They weren't embarrassed enough not to cash the checks.
There have always been haters of the show-- there always will be.
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

AndyFish wrote:There are still a lot of people who think the show is stupid-- and they're right with some of the episodes. But I've never been embarrassed to be a fan of the show, but then I've never been one to care what people think of me.

I completely agree! I love the show because I liked it. Don't really care if others do or don't. It's what I enjoy. I'm with Andy on this one.
gothosmansion

Post by gothosmansion »

I'm not embarrassed by my affection for Batman or the TV show. The TV show is what led me to try the comics at a very young age, so I can enjoy different interpretations of Batman. However, I remember when I was in junior high and anyone who read comics was looked down on as a geek or nerd. We had a group of about four of us who collected comics, but I was teased by other members of our group because I liked Batman. The other guys all read Marvel exclusively.

It is hard to fathom now, but in the early 1980s, Batman really wasn't that popular of a character, even among comic book fans.
BatMite

Post by BatMite »

Most people who think the show is embarrassing or stupid don't understand camp humor and think the show was intended to be taken seriously.
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

I am 62 and a devoted T.V. Bat Fan.....Been a devoted Bat Fan starting in 1958 (learned to read Young). When I first saw the T.V. show, I thought: "Wow! The comics come to life!!" And for me it was. Now as an adult, I can really appreciate the double entendres and NOW I know what Dad (r.i.p. Dad) laughed so hard about on occasion! Yes, it became nerdy to follow the comics and T.V., but like today, Batman has come to the rescue by providing some pleasure as opposed to the hyper seriousness of "THE DARK KNIGHT"! just like when Our world turned sideways during the Vietnam war of which I was a part. Long Live the T.V. Show!!!!
Larry
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

I agree.Long live the 1966 Batman TV Show.
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

I really believe that it is because of the positive, continuing image of good triumphing over evil, like Trek, in a time of moral ambiguity ( the Viet-Nam War)and similarly the war today, but not as much, This is when people really need heros.
Larry
Pengy

Post by Pengy »

I wear my Batman 1966 fan badge with pride.
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

And Well You should Pengy!!! You're a good egg......er, bird.
Larry
Mr.Freeze

Post by Mr.Freeze »

People , esp in US , prolly needed to escape from the horrendous Vietnam war coverage.....Batman was the perfect antidote I guess.
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Mr. Freeze......You are SPOT ON correct!!!!!! It was worse than what We see on the current wars! You stated it far better and simpler than I did. You get an A+ from a retired teacher!
Larry
Dynamic Duo

Post by Dynamic Duo »

Awesome topic. Bill Shakespeare was right."....to thine self be true....." Goes without saying, but I grew up watching this show, loved it then, love it even more today, thanks to Blu-Ray.....and will probably be buried with my box set... :x
"Atomic batteries to power...Turbines to speed...."
"Roger...ready to move out!"