Bill Finger co-creator credit for Batman

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

gothosmansion

Bill Finger co-creator credit for Batman

Post by gothosmansion »

Can anyone verify if this is true? I hope it is.

http://source.superherostuff.com/comics ... an-credit/

Bill Finger was responsible for creating a lot of what makes Batman such a special character. When you consider the number of great villains he created, Finger has to be considered one of the most innovative writers in the history of comics.

Edit:

Entertainment Weekly is posting this as well.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/09/18/ba ... ger-credit
Nick in NY

Re: Bill Finger co-creator credit for Batman

Post by Nick in NY »

"Batman created by Bob Kane and Bill Finger" is the simple truth.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Got a call on this a couple of days ago, there's nothing in that official statement that says he's getting ℅-credit, which he deserves, or that the credit extends to the comic line. Regardless, he deserves it and his heirs should get some financial compensation.

The truth is Kane's negotiated contract has always prevented this. The blame lies with him and DC comics for the shameful treatment Bill Finger got. If not for him, Batman would have been long forgotten. Kane's original Batman wore a red costume, a robin mask and was nothing like the final version of Batman.
gothosmansion

Post by gothosmansion »

Thanks for the additional info, Andy. Yeah, I know about Kane's original drawing. I read the book Bill the Boy Wonder by Marc Tyler Nobleman and Ty Templeton, but I had already read a lot about it before.
Pengy

Post by Pengy »

About time. He's the one who made Batman the great character he is.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

I guess it remains to be seen as to how his "Credit" will be phrased, but even still, this is a huge step forward in terms of progress.

All will be revealed when the season two premiere of "Gotham" airs tonight.
ChAnOoD

Post by ChAnOoD »

About time! I wonder how it´ll be credited.
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

Fantastic! It really is about time! But hey, Marvel & Stan Lee only settled with the estate of Jack Kirby last year when it threatened to go to the supreme court!

http://deadline.com/2014/09/jack-kirby- ... ng-841711/

I think television Batman fans were somewhat ahead on this one. Bill Finger after all wrote the Clock King episode, and it had a lot of the elements that made the Batman character great. I think Finger's contribution to the series gave us more curiosity about his part in Batman's origins than some pure comics fans might have. The over-large objects such as the 'sands of time' hourglass -- all Finger! I love Bob Kane, but the man, along with being a Batman artist, was a bit of a con artist.

http://comicsalliance.com/ask-chris-164 ... the-worst/

Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Might I suggest some one of us write up a petition to present to the "Big wigs" of D.C./ Time/Warner. that states that We believe that Mr. Finger SHOULD be given co-creator status! It needs to be respectful, polite, but forceful.

What do You all think?
Larry
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Stryker wrote:Might I suggest some one of us write up a petition to present to the "Big wigs" of D.C./ Time/Warner. that states that We believe that Mr. Finger SHOULD be given co-creator status! It needs to be respectful, polite, but forceful.

What do You all think?
I think the Batman fan community at large (including writers etc) are way ahead of you. There are books about his input, even a documentary...
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Thanks, Bill. Where can I sign the petition? :D
Larry
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Good intentions. Great cause.
BUT....
Petitions NEVER work in any of these scenarios. Period.
Petitions never worked for getting Adam a star.
Petitions never worked in getting the series to DVD and Blu Ray.
When these eventually happened, it was never due to an online petition.

Just sayin'....

Thinking that there are a couple of guys sitting in big chairs at DC that will be swayed to finally give Bill Finger his due credit (and legally negate the original contract) because of becoming aware of the multitude of fans that are not happy about it not being that way for over 75 years is just not a realistic picture. This isn't a recent point of contention for fans and has been brought up time and time again for many decades already. I'm sure there are plenty of petitions floating in a collective folder in a filing cabinet somewhere.
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

I would be shocked if Bill Finger doesn't get a credit in the comics too now. DC is a fairly chicken organization, and tends to do the right thing after exhausting every other avenue. It's kind of heartbreaking that Bill Finger died in poverty without any credit for his work, and left the earth assuming his contribution to Batman would remain obscure forever thanks to Bob Kane. DC did the same thing to Superman creators Simon and Schuster. I suppose the same thing could easily have happened to Bob Kane had he not been more savvy, and yes ruthless. According to the link below, Bob Kane stabbed them in the back too! But at least after Superman: The Movie came out Simon & Schuster were awarded lifetime pensions of $20,000 per year and health care benefits. Apparently when Bill Finger asked for health care benefits DC blacklisted him! Criminal.

http://www.cracked.com/personal-experie ... egacy.html

http://www.dialbforblog.com/archives/391/

Bill Finger was buried in an unmarked grave. Below is Bob Kane's headstone. My G-d, Lincoln's gravestone isn't one-tenth this showy!!! It's kind of embarrassing. Bob was an unabashed self promoter to the end.

http://comicsalliance.com/files/2013/09/AC031.jpg

“Robert Kane aka Bob Kane -- GOD bestowed a dream upon Bob Kane, Blessed with divine inspiration and a rich imagination, Bob created a legacy known as BATMAN. Introduced in a May 1939 comic book, Batman grew from a tiny acorn into an American Icon. A ‘Hand of God’ creation, Batman and his world personify the eternal struggle of good versus evil, with GOD's laws prevailing in the end. Bob Kane, Bruce Wayne, Batman -- they are one and the same. Bob infused his dual identity character with his own attributes: goodness, kindness, compassion, sensitivity, generosity, intelligence, integrity, courage, purity of spirit, a love of all mankind. Batman is known as the ‘Dark Knight,’ but through his deeds he walks in the light of a higher power, as did his creator -- Bob Kane!"
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Hi Scott,
I guess being part of the TREK petition drives and trying a petition as regards Bill Finger and DC is like comparing apples and elephants...2 different things! :oops: :oops:
I agree, Kane's tombstone IS over the top :roll: , but as regards Pres. Lincoln's tomb: Again, apples and...oranges: Both are tombstones, but Pres. Lincoln's is in an elaborate tomb....unless One is only counting the President's original tombstone and crypt at the back and bottom of the hill. I'm from Illinois and have visited that area many, many times!
Cheers
Larry
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

The credit, which will extend to the comics line, will read Batman Created by Bob Kane with Bill Finger.
Hardly ℅ creator, but at least it's something. Personally I think it should read the reverse.