Villains Appreciation

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Gothamite

Villains Appreciation

Post by Gothamite »

There's 29 villains on the show, what are your less favorite to favorite ? Here's mine...

29. Lord Ffogg & Lady Penelope Peasoup
28. Colonel Gumm
27. The Archer
26. Minerva
25. Dr. Cassandra
24. Nora Clavicle
23. King Tut
22. Black Widow
21. Ma Parker
20. Louie the Lilac
19. The Riddler
18. Sandman
17. Olga
16. Shame
15. Clock King
14. Mad Hatter
13. Puzzler
12. Harry
11. Chandell
10. Bookworm
9. Marsha
8. Zelda the Great
7. False Face
6. Egghead
5. The Siren
4. Mr. Freeze
3. Catwoman
2. The Joker
1. The Penguin

:mrgreen:
Dr. Shimel

Re: Villains Appreciation

Post by Dr. Shimel »

I'd rate King Tut and Riddler in the Top Ten and drop Chandell way down.
WayneGrayson

Post by WayneGrayson »

THe Riddler at #19? Good gravy! Great scott! Holy (I can't think of anything that fits) - you KNOW Joker, Catwoman, Riddler and Penguin ARE the John Paul George and RIngo of Bat villains, with Egghead being one heck of a Billy Preston.
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

Catwoman # 1 Bat Villain.Elmer J.Graham Jr.,Keyport,New Jersey.
Space Ghost

Post by Space Ghost »

I myself appreciate all the Villains on the show.
They kept Batman employed! ;)
You're Never Too Old to have a Happy Childhood
Bob

Post by Bob »

I loved the show, I cant really do the "rate this rate that" aspect of it. Each villain was a joy in some way
Gothamite

Post by Gothamite »

WayneGrayson wrote:THe Riddler at #19? Good gravy! Great scott! Holy (I can't think of anything that fits) - you KNOW Joker, Catwoman, Riddler and Penguin ARE the John Paul George and RIngo of Bat villains, with Egghead being one heck of a Billy Preston.
Yeah, it's not that I don't like Gorshin's interpretation but in every other media, I just don't like this villain I don't know why :oops:
WayneGrayson

Post by WayneGrayson »

Hi, Gothamite,

You know - I think it was really Gorshin I was talking up before. Truth is, I hated JIm Carrey's version of the Riddler in the 80's movies, and I never really got into the comic books, or anything like that - so it was really Gorshin's portrayal I was so enthused over. I just think Frank was the only Riddler in my book.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

WayneGrayson wrote:THe Riddler at #19? Good gravy! Great scott! Holy (I can't think of anything that fits) - you KNOW Joker, Catwoman, Riddler and Penguin ARE the John Paul George and RIngo of Bat villains, with Egghead being one heck of a Billy Preston.
I've never read it expressed in that way... :)

Okay, after the Fab Four, which villains are the 2nd level Rolling Stones?
Beneath Wayne Manor
Riddler Fan

Post by Riddler Fan »

1. Riddler
2. Catwoman
3. Joker
4. Penguin
5. Siren
Catfan

Post by Catfan »

1. Riddler
2. Joker
3. Penguin
4. False Face
5. Mr. Freeze
6. Bookworm
7. Mad Hatter
8. Clock King
9. Minstrel
10. Siren
11. Egghead
12. Shame

I won't rate Catwoman, because of her changes in the 21st Century. Besides, she prepped me for Emma Peel of The Avengers!
rickkrefft

Post by rickkrefft »

My favorites:

1. Catwoman (Julie)
2. Joker and Penguin (tie)
3. Riddler (Frank)
4. King Tut
5. Egghead
6. Mr. Freeze (Otto)
7. Mad Hatter
8. Catwoman (Eartha)
9. Mr. Freeze (George)
10. Catwoman (Lee)
11. Bookworm
12. Shame
13. False Face
14. Siren
15. Louie The Lilac
16. Mr. Freeze (Eli)
17. Olga
18. Clock King
19. The Minstrel
20. Riddler (John)
Robin's Girl

Post by Robin's Girl »

I can't really rate them, though there were some I liked more than others and a few that I didn't really care for much. My favorite is Catwoman (Julie Newmar). I just think she was the perfect Catwoman, though I haven't seen every interpretation of the character. But she was classy, pretty, villainous, clever, graceful, and fun to watch. She's so adorable in my opinion, except of course when she was carrying out Batman and Robin's demise, but even then she was often cute. I loved how she played out the personality of a cat, such as when she would lie on the floor and move her legs in the air like a cat playing with a ball of yarn.

I read somewhere that the Joker and the Penguin were the most famous or well-liked villains at the time, and although I like them, my other favorite was the Riddler (Frank Groshin). I thought his interpretation of the Riddler was perfect: the high, silly giggle he always did, the fact that he was tall, gangly, and thin which enabled him to move around as the Riddle perfectly, and even his green outfit with the question mark design (though I thought his "business suit" was a bit more classy, lol).

I definitely prefer Cesar Romero's Joker to any others, because he was exactly what (in my opinion) the Joker is supposed to be: silly, always joking, laughing (his "maniac" laugh was well done), and even though I thought sometimes he did act a bit creepy (such as when, in one episode, he replaced an opera singer, I think, and the clownish outfit he wore, with his white-painted face - that was possibly a little bit scary, LOL), he wasn't a "murderer" like the Nolan version, and he wasn't scary in the sense that he didn't terrorize people and others weren't terribly scared of him. Like in the episode where he was at the high school, none of the students were scared for their lives, their response was, "Oh, it's the Joker. What's he doing at school?"

At first I didn't really like King Tut as he was too weird for me, but now that I've re-watched the episodes he was in, the plots were fairly good, and I appreciate his character better.

As for my "ratings" on a handful of others: I did like the Penguin, he was interesting and amusing to watch. His portrayal of the character was unique and very much like a penguin in mannerisms (the way he walked, the "squawk squawk" sounds he made). And I found it amusing whenever he tired to "romance" a lady.

I liked each interpretation of Mr. Freeze (though the first actor to play him in the series portrayed him as more serious than the next two). The Mad Hatter was interesting, I liked Shame, I liked the Bookworm, False Face was interesting. I thought the Minstrel was sort of lacking in charisma and a bit boring. I didn't like Black Widow (I'd been expecting someone younger when I fist saw the episodes).

I loved Marsha, Queen of Diamonds: Carolyn Jones did such a classy portrayal of her, along with a bit of dry humor, and she often wore gorgeous gowns or clothes. I didn't really care for Louie The Lilac, he just didn't seem that important to me, though I did like the "hippie" aspect of those episodes. And then, I liked the Siren okay, but not much.

1. The Catwoman (Julie Newmar)
2. The Riddler (Frank Gorshin)
3. Marsha, Queen of Diamonds
4. The Penguin and The Joker (tied).
I prefer to believe it's because our hearts are pure. - Batman
Dynamic Duo

Post by Dynamic Duo »

The Penguin was always No.1 with me, as I appreciated his campy, witty, portrayal of a criminal with a mean streak...that, and the fact that he appeared more times than any other Special Guest Villain....
"Atomic batteries to power...Turbines to speed...."
"Roger...ready to move out!"
Dynamic Duo

Post by Dynamic Duo »

By the way, Jim Carrey has publicly stated that he was inspired by Frank Gorshin's Riddler, and one of the costumes in Batman and Robin (1995, not 80's) was an exact duplicate of Gorshin's.....
"Atomic batteries to power...Turbines to speed...."
"Roger...ready to move out!"