How did Burt Ward get to be Robin?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

artbat123

How did Burt Ward get to be Robin?

Post by artbat123 »

Hi gang,

Burt Ward for many years told us the story on how he got the role of Robin, but is his story true? He said many times that he sold a house to an producer who sent him to an agent for the audition. Have you notice that he never mentioned the producers name? Well I have the answer. The producer was Saul David. Saul David published a book called "The Industry" back in 1981 and is available on line. There are two to three pages on the real story of how Burt found out about the audition. I don't have a copy of the book so I don't want to give the secret away. See you soon "Same Bat Time Same Bat Channel!"
COPPRODUCTIONS

Re: How did Burt Ward get to be Robin?

Post by COPPRODUCTIONS »

Speaking of stories BW has told for years, ANOTHER question is "How did that untalented hack Dustin Hoffman end up getting cast in "The Graduate" when BW was being considered...I was at a Creation convention in the early '90s and Burt was onstage telling the story of how he "nearly died shooting the (fill in the blank) scene" and so forth when suddenly Julie Newmar (who had been handed a mike offstage) interrupted him, saying something along the lines of "Now Burt, we BOTH know that's not true, why are you lying to all these nice people..." then EXPLODED onto the stage!!! The crowd just ROARED and Burt was more than a little embarrassed. How sad that it was SOOOOO long ago, today something like that would be on You Tube within seconds, LOL.
Tom
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

During the time of Burt's book, 'My Life in Tights", Adam West was quoted as saying, "There was enough baloney in Burt's book for him to start his own delicatessen!" :)

http://metro.co.uk/2009/10/27/adam-west-240895/
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
COPPRODUCTIONS

Post by COPPRODUCTIONS »

Artbat; SO glad you mentioned the Saul David book. Curious, I was able to pick it up up on Amazon FAIRLY cheap and it is an AMAZING read! Sorta reminds me of Robert Evans' "The Kid Stays in the Picture" from a SLIGHTLY less egocentric POV and with far FEWER sexual exploits. But the anecdote about Bert (Gervis) was pretty much in line with the way BURT tells the story, leaving out the part about success almost IMMEDIATELY going to his head (among OTHER body parts...). But the REALLY interesting part of the book (for ME anyway) is the behind the scenes with Sinatra during "Von Ryan's Express". Also, his take on the (apparently) near catastrophe that was the "Dr No" test screening resonates with me, somewhat reminiscent of the "Hi Diddle Riddle" preview that TERRIFIED ABC.
Tom
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

COPPRODUCTIONS wrote: But the anecdote about Bert (Gervis) was pretty much in line with the way BURT tells the story,
Between that anecdote, the famous screen tests, and how Adam and others always talked about Burt's approach & enthusiasm, that is a good collection of reasons why he landed the role of Robin. Dozier could not have picked a better performer in approach and appearance. As Grayson and Robin, he was the comic come alive, undoubtedly contributing to the success of Batman 1966.
Beneath Wayne Manor
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

BATWINGED HORNET wrote:
COPPRODUCTIONS wrote: But the anecdote about Bert (Gervis) was pretty much in line with the way BURT tells the story,
Between that anecdote, the famous screen tests, and how Adam and others always talked about Burt's approach & enthusiasm, that is a good collection of reasons why he landed the role of Robin. Dozier could not have picked a better performer in approach and appearance. As Grayson and Robin, he was the comic come alive, undoubtedly contributing to the success of Batman 1966.
He looked perfect for the part and played off Adam wonderfully. The enthusiasm he brought to his "Holy . . ." lines justly made them famous.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

BATWINGED HORNET wrote:
He looked perfect for the part and played off Adam wonderfully. The enthusiasm he brought to his "Holy . . ." lines justly made them famous.
Kamdan

Post by Kamdan »

I'll be very interested to hear more about this. Never understood how he didn't know what role he was auditioning for when he went in at first. I've also been bothered how he tried to take credit for stunts that clearly used his stunt double. Glad to hear that Newmar called him out for an occasion like that.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Kamdan wrote:I'll be very interested to hear more about this. Never understood how he didn't know what role he was auditioning for when he went in at first. I've also been bothered how he tried to take credit for stunts that clearly used his stunt double. Glad to hear that Newmar called him out for an occasion like that.
Some actors like to maintain the "magic" of the production. Film legend Steve McQueen spent years taking credit for one of the most famous stunts in film history--the motorcycle fence jump from The Great Escape. His friend and professional rider Bud Ekins was the one who made the jump and subsequent crash, with McQueen only in the lead-up shots. The same can be said of the more dangerous moves in his equally famous car chase in Bullitt. Whether it was to maintain "Hollywood magic" or actor ego, this sort of thing is not new, and other cases stand among the most significant of all time. The only difference is that McQueen (and others) defined much their career and appeal based on that. Ward did not. Newmar should have been well aware of that, and placed it in the proper context.

We do know Ward was hurt in grossly irresponsible technician / director set-ups, and for all of the shots of Robin using any martial arts moves, that was Ward (ex. "When the Rat's Away the Mice Will Play," the Batman movie, "The Bird's Last Jest," or "The Great Train Robbery").
Beneath Wayne Manor