George Barris 1925- 2015 R.I.P.

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

chrisbcritter

Re: George Barris 1925- 2015 R.I.P.

Post by chrisbcritter »

Spot the blooper:
The Hollywood Reporter gets the Gong!
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
Hedji

Post by Hedji »

It's the only car I've ever cared about.

It's the first purchase I'd make with lottery winnings.

George was so rightfully proud and always enthusiastic about his creation. A profound loss. Rest in Peace, and thank you for the artistry.
Mark Racop

Post by Mark Racop »

Even though some of us knew it was coming, it was still a shock. George Barris touched millions of lives with his imagination, his talent, and his industry. It goes without saying that if not for George Barris, I certainly would not be building 1966 Batmobile replicas today. But George will be missed for more than just the Batmobile, or his other cars. As others have mentioned, he was the life of the party. He always had a smile and tale to tell. As others have said, he virtually created the custom car industry. Most of his competitors started as workers for Barris. He will be missed because he was a legend. I'm glad that he got to see that kind of recognition in his own time. As his son said, "He's now going to a greater garage in the sky." Now he can imagine and build without budgets, employees, or deadlines. Rest in peace, George!
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

My sincerest condolences to his family, friends and fans. While I didn't create this image, I feel it is a great tribute to Mr Barris, the King of the Kustomizers. May he Rest in Peace.
--john
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

I can only echo what the others have already said here. R.I.P. Mr Barris and thank you for the greatest car in the world. :(
Meule

Post by Meule »

Another star on the Batuniverse... such sad news... RIP Mr. Barris, thanks for all the fun memories you gave us
"...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

I'll sing the "Amen" to You all. As a teenager, I built a number of models of not only the Bat Mobile, but a number of others.
We'll not see George's like again for a VERY long time !!!!!!

R.I.P.
Larry
Bat-Brony92

Post by Bat-Brony92 »

RIP George :(
Space Ghost

Post by Space Ghost »

George Barris gave me so many years of fun because of the 1966 Batmobile. My all time favorite car period.
Every kid my age back in the day wanted their own Batmobile. I still do!
Thanks George and I celebrate your creations and your life! God Bless You, you live on!
You're Never Too Old to have a Happy Childhood
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Larry A. wrote:I'll sing the "Amen" to You all. As a teenager, I built a number of models of not only the Bat Mobile, but a number of others.
We'll not see George's like again for a VERY long time !!!!!!

R.I.P.
Sad news. Regarding not seeing anyone like Barris for a long time, its more like a "never." The generation of Barris, Dean Jeffries, Gene Winfield, Ed "Big Daddy" Roth and others is a moment in time and creative influence that no longer exists in that exact way. There are some creative customizers around, but their work (although good) just lacks their one of a kind artistry and heart.
Beneath Wayne Manor
Aussie Batfan

Post by Aussie Batfan »

What a wonderful long life George had - with so many achievements and works of true 'art' instantly recognisable to the public all over the world. Not many creative artists can lay claim to that!
RIP to one of the great contributors to the success of our series...
Terry
wally wingert

Post by wally wingert »

I'll go a step further and say that, in my opinion, the current influx of '66 Batman-related merchandise and mania that we're seeing wouldn't have been possible without George.

Had he not licensed the Batmobile to Hot Wheels several years ago (thus proving to the various rights-holders that our favorite version of Batman had enormous $$$ potential) it's likely that the '66 Batman would have stayed tucked away in the vaults; never to enjoy the resurgence we're currently enjoying (DVDs, figures, toys, comics, animated films, etc.)

Hats off to you, George. For not only being a darn nice guy; warm and welcoming to each and every person who walked through your legendary doors, but also for being a darn smart businessman with a good head on his shoulders!

This was sent to me by a friend who was at Adam's Hollywood Star ceremony. It's not a great picture, but most likely the last photo I had taken with George.
Attachments
George Wally.jpg
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

I agree with You all. Our generation had the good fortune to be witness to a never before seen and never will be seen again blip in time......Let's honor their memories by enjoying their work while WE still have time.
Larry
TP-6597

Post by TP-6597 »

In keeping with the newest direction of the conversation; No way we ever have someone affect pop culture at that level again. It's a hyper-connected world these days, with pop culture coming at people from ten times the outlets and at ten times as often (at least).

It's the same reason there will never be another Jaws, Star Wars 1977, The Beatles, The Apollo space program, Raiders Of The Lost Arc, last episode of M*A*S*H, etc.

To me, the true tell of how deep an impact he had was the fact that you can buy working, drivable reproductions of the car, shirts with the car on them, and walk into any toy store and buy a Hot Wheels toy version.

50 years later it's nearly as relevant and recognizable as it was the day it was built.
“What's important is that the world know that all visitors to these teeming shores are safe, be they peasant or king.”
Pengy

Post by Pengy »

RIP George