Eartha Kitt and Lady Bird Johnson

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

clavierankh

Eartha Kitt and Lady Bird Johnson

Post by clavierankh »

Only about three weeks after Eartha's last appearance on Batman she attended a luncheon with Lady Bird Johnson and made the remarks that would seriously damage her career.

Given today's climate I suspect her career wouldn't have been damaged and might have been helped.
Ertha.jpg
elmrgraham

Re: Ertha Kitt and Lady Bird Johnson

Post by elmrgraham »

As I recall,she expressed her opinion against The Vietnam War.
Dynamic Duo

Re: Eartha Kitt and Lady Bird Johnson

Post by Dynamic Duo »

In hindsight, Eartha Kitt was spot on! The Vietnam War, as viewed today in it's entirety as one of America's most historical military blunders, ranks as a humongous life tragedy to an entire generation of our best and brightest....
"Atomic batteries to power...Turbines to speed...."
"Roger...ready to move out!"
Quarhog

Post by Quarhog »

The CIA promptly went to work on blackening her name by opening a file on her that described her - possibly on the strength having just watched her in 'Batman' and thinking that it was a documentary - as a "sadistic nymphomaniac" and a "shallow selfish person, who deliberately upstages and misuses actors working with her". "Rawrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!"
High C

Post by High C »

Thanks for sharing. Kitt's points are well-taken, even more so in hindsight.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
riddler123

Post by riddler123 »

I find it astonishing that the CIA would waste time and money trying to blacken the name of an actor, but after watching episodes of Jesse Ventura's Conspiracy theory, nothing surprises me about the CIA.

A shame Eartha's career suffered. When you considered celebs like Cher are giving two fingers to politics on twitter these days Eartha would be praised for doing that today.

Incidently I watched her live DVD this week and she was great in it.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

riddler123 wrote:I find it astonishing that the CIA would waste time and money trying to blacken the name of an actor, but after watching episodes of Jesse Ventura's Conspiracy theory, nothing surprises me about the CIA.

A shame Eartha's career suffered. When you considered celebs like Cher are giving two fingers to politics on twitter these days Eartha would be praised for doing that today.

Incidently I watched her live DVD this week and she was great in it.
Eartha was the forerunner to The Dixie Chicks, who ironically also saw their career affected while a Texan was in the WH.