To the Batpoles podcast: Surveying Season One and Sampling Semple

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

To the Batpoles podcast: Surveying Season One and Sampling Semple

Post by bat-rss »

In this episode, we wrap up season one with some overall takes on the whole season: things that were established or evolved during the season, and things we maybe haven't taken enough notice of, such as the cinematography ("deep" shots, such as this look over Penguin's shoulder in "Fine Finny Fiends").

Supplementing this, a 2008 video interview with Lorenzo Semple, Jr., that gives some insight into how he approached the series and why the show burnt itself out.

The podcast is here: http://tothebatpoles.libsyn.com/

The Semple interview is here: http://www.emmytvlegends.org/interviews ... -semple-jr#
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
Ben Bentley

Re: To the Batpoles podcast: Surveying Season One and Sampling Semple

Post by Ben Bentley »

Congrats on making it through season one! I'll be sure to catch up on the two episodes I haven't heard yet and then this one.
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

'Sampling Semple' ... I love that! And that 'Fine Finny Fiends' photo is out of this world. IF ONLY the series could have maintained first season levels of writing/directing/cinematography. Going into the 2nd season, visually, the drop in quality of the series is shocking. And soon got worse. Even when Semple came back to do "The Penguin's Nest", it couldn't recapture the elements that made the show great. The magic was gone.

Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Thanks guys! Yes, we're girding ourselves for a quality slide in season two. Archer part one --- shudder. Part two, in my opinion, was somewhat of a return to form. But to know there's stuff like Fingers (Liberace) on the horizon...

Seems the easy answer is that Semple stepping back and Charles Hoffman becoming story editor was a big reason for the decline. And budget cutting. Would you agree?
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"