Adam West on 200th episode of Big Bang Theory

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Aussie Batfan

Re: Adam West on 200th episode of Big Bang Theory

Post by Aussie Batfan »

Sorry Bat-Tiger but I too have to disagree with you re BBT. I think the show has brought a lot of affection to geeks and Superhero addicts - and I certainly benefit from it, both at work and home!!
I also think Jim Parson's comic timing and delivery is exceptional.
And as stated, Adam West has always received respect and admiration from the scriptwriters.
Can't really ask for more!
Take care,
Terry
dell

Post by dell »

Hey Aussie Batfan, when do you get the new episodes of BBT?

By the way, my wife and I had a great time down there in OZ, or up there if you use this map. :lol:
Attachments
hemisphere-sud.jpg
dell
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

Kaley Cuoco would make a terrific henchmoll? No she would not! Pretty girl but NO! And this was not the best possible Adam West guest appearance, but was still very good. And he looks great for an 87 year old man. I'd have never rated Bale and certainly not (forgotten) Keaton above him. But hey, If it's cool with Adam, it's cool with me. Sheldon should have been more excited.
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

I agree Sheldon should have been more excited. I know I sure would have. Best line of the show "What's an Affleck"..Hillarious!!
dell

Post by dell »

Progress Pigment wrote: Sheldon should have been more excited.
I didn't get that part; he barely noticed that Adam was there.
dell
TP-6597

Post by TP-6597 »

Aussie Batfan wrote: I think the show has brought a lot of affection to geeks and Superhero addicts - and I certainly benefit from it, both at work and home!!
I also think Jim Parson's comic timing and delivery is exceptional.
And as stated, Adam West has always received respect and admiration from the scriptwriters.
Can't really ask for more!
Add me to the list. The show has gone to great lengths to show the nerd culture in a true light. If I had to give an example, I'm very similar to the character of Leonard. A healthy balance of nerd\adult science-related professional. Honestly though, I also know a fair number of nerds depicted on the other side of the show, the Captain Sweatpants and Lonely Larry types who are awkward around women, slight misfits, and somewhat immature.

The show has also gone to great lengths to get the nerd culture correct. The behind-the-scenes fact checking is extensive to say the least, as is their team of employed scientists who make sure the science presented is correct. In fact, that's how Mayim Bialik became part of the cast. She was their behind the scenes scientist for fact-checking neuroscience. She has a PhD in Neurobiology.

I think the number of pop cultural icons, stars, and scientists who've been on the show speaks volumes to the respect they give those various walks of life.

I loved seeing Adam West last night and thought it was handled perfectly. Sheldon may have been less than excited to see him because it was shown in a previous episode that Adam West had turned him down when he wanted him as a guest at a comic-con he was starting. Over the years the show has been very respectful of 1966 Batman, the characters, the actors, as well as its enormous cultural impact.

1966 Batman and The Big Bang Theory coexist very well in my world.
“What's important is that the world know that all visitors to these teeming shores are safe, be they peasant or king.”
Bat-Brony92

Post by Bat-Brony92 »

I thought the episode was very hilarious!, HAPPY BIRTHDAY SHERMAN! LOL! (except for Kripke hitting on Leonard's mom *shudders*)
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

Mixed feelings on this episode. Funny interactions in the car scene but I feel like that he was a bit under-used for balance of episode. Could have been better.
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Batfanman wrote:Mixed feelings on this episode. Funny interactions in the car scene but I feel like that he was a bit under-used for balance of episode. Could have been better.
We are talking about an 87-year-old man, so to expect him to carry a good-sized portion of the show is unrealistic. He had plenty of good lines and I was actually surprised he was used as much as he was, since usually they relegate such appearances to a cameo at the end.
Bat Username

Post by Bat Username »

TP-6597 wrote:Sheldon may have been less than excited to see him because it was shown in a previous episode that Adam West had turned him down when he wanted him as a guest at a comic-con he was starting.
Yes, I was hoping Sheldon would make a bigger deal out of meeting Adam West but I guess it was consistent with the series. He's always been portrayed as being more a fan of Batman in general than any single incarnation or portrayal of the character.

Adam was great though and I particularly enjoyed seeing him rank all the Batman actors. (I do disagree with Howard's assertion that Bale personified the line "I'm Batman"- something I've always associated with Keaton.)
Pengy

Post by Pengy »

I watch this just to see Adam. Needless to say he was brilliant, and the best part of the episode. His conversation about how he was the best Batman was brilliant. "What's an Affleck?" lol.
High C

Post by High C »

Progress Pigment wrote:Kaley Cuoco would make a terrific henchmoll? No she would not! Pretty girl but NO!
If you feel so strongly about it, then why not? Don't just shoot down my opinion, please, without explaining why.

In case you didn't notice, it didn't take the acting chops of Meryl Streep to be a henchmoll. Just look good, say a funny line or 2, and you're fine. Which Cuoco could do. Trust me, I realize she's limited as an actress, but I didn't say she could do heavy lifting. Could she have done a run-of-the-mill henchmoll-type role? Yes, IMO.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

High C wrote:
Progress Pigment wrote:Kaley Cuoco would make a terrific henchmoll? No she would not! Pretty girl but NO!
If you feel so strongly about it, then why not? Don't just shoot down my opinion, please, without explaining why.
OK. I don't exactly feel strongly about it. I love her on the show. But I cannot remotely picture her on Batman. I guess she fits today's beauty standards better than she would 1960's beauty standards. I was being slightly charitable when I called her pretty. They liked them REALLY pretty back then. And I don't think they had "spray tans" by 1966-1968. Her spray-tan pallor being her best physical attribute. Shatner had great looking "body make-up".

But he was a star. I suspect they wouldn't have gone to the heroic measures it would take to get Kaley up to even Terry Moore level back then.

I feel like in the 60's the technology just wasn't in place to make Kaley Cuoco an acceptable "fantasy figure" moll. Well, you could probably stick her in the Puzzler episodes. She beats 50-ish (looking) Barbara Stewart by a little. I guess. Or the weird one in "The Joker's Flying Saucer". But you said terrific, and I can't see Kaley Cuoco pulling off a terrific moll in any shape or form. Oh, I didn't mention her millennial (a person reaching young adulthood around the year 2000), and very uneven voice. Did anyone talk like her back then? Anyway, that's my opinion for what little it's worth.

Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Admin hat going on now:

Okay, let's just drop the "is Kaley Cuoco pretty enough or at all?" discussion. If one is not a fan of her's, got it. But as it is the basic policy here, "if you can't say something nice..." Discussing people's appearance in such a way just comes across as being in poor taste. I know High C asked for more input but delivery is everything. Manners go a long way. This isn't TMZ.

Moving on. Any further rebuttals will need to be handled via PM.
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

Friends,

I really have to laugh reading comments about being disappointed that Sheldon didn't notice Adam upon entering the apartment and go all fan-crazy. Did anyone not really notice the storyline? Upon opening the door and seeing all these people he couldn't focus on anyone as he was going into a full-blown anxiety attack. The way they filmed it you could see he didn't really recognize anyone anymore and was instantly descending into his uncontrollable nightmare world. In the midst of all that I really don't think he would simply snap out of it upon seeing Adam sitting there.

That said, I thought Adam was great and the episode overall quite funny, although again, I felt for Sheldon and his anxiety as I've seen some people in real life have panic attacks. It's not a joke then.
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"