The Tale of 2 Bat Radios

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

burkestudio

The Tale of 2 Bat Radios

Post by burkestudio »

Hey Guys and Gals,

Did some searching here on the forum and also online.
I'm trying to figure out (if there was) a reason for the 2 different style Bat Radios?

I don't know all the episodes in depth like some of you, but it seems to me that the version with the additional brass curved piece was used in the movie, while perhaps the other was just used in the show.

My questions are:

1.) Is my assumption correct?

2.) Did the show ever mention a reason for the 2 (i.e. was one a long range radio while the other a short range)?

Or do you guys/gals have any other theories/thoughts on this.

Thanks!
Jeremy
Attachments
5467779_2_l.jpg
5467779_2_l.jpg (41.92 KiB) Viewed 4483 times
01 Original Bat Radio Prop 01 7-11-8.jpg
Same Bat Time! Same Bat Channel!
Technical Artist & Designer
Facebook: Burke Studio
eBay: jerburke http://www.ebay.com/usr/jerburke?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
Etsy: BurkeStudio
Instagram: BurkeStudio
AndyFish

Re: The Tale of 2 Bat Radios

Post by AndyFish »

I never noticed that before.
I'm going to guess that because prop departments are usually tasked with coming up with this stuff last minute and seldom being all that well made they just whipped them up again and that was that. Same deal with the cowl, which saw many different variations because it was a fluid design without any real concrete blueprint.

I'm sure there are variations on the belt too.
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

I figured it was just one of the radios with the added strap (not really a curved antenna). Yvonne posed with one (albeit upside down).
burkestudio

Post by burkestudio »

Do you guys think it's safe to say that the one with the "strap" was used in the movie, and the other was used on the show?

-Jeremy
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Short of finding one of the crew that made them, We can make educated guesses. Having dealt with folks who made Original Series Galactica props, I can share with You what I was told about TV props:" Make it quick, make it cheap, and make it look good on the small screen!". My guesstimate is that the brass piece was added to give a bit more "Glitz and Glow" to the piece. It met all the criteria of quick, cheap and good...on the big screen. I have a feeling that the shot w/ Yvonne was done for a few shots for publicity considering She had Her own set made from 2 way radios 3rd season.
I'd vote for the strap for the movie and w/o the strap for the T.V. show.

Cheers
Larry
burkestudio

Post by burkestudio »

Thanks for all the input!

-Jeremy
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

May have been added to make it easier to hold/carry or possibly just added for dramatic effect given that in the movie it was being used to alter course of torpedo.
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

burkestudio wrote:Do you guys think it's safe to say that the one with the "strap" was used in the movie, and the other was used on the show?

-Jeremy
I wouldn't claim such a distinction without checking every appearance of the Bat Radios used during the course of the show.
Although, somebody may have already done so.
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Scott makes a good point. I think that IMHO, One should start with the 2nd season episodes which cuts out one season, at least.

Hope that helps.
Larry
Frenchy1939

Post by Frenchy1939 »

You guys just inspired me! It would be really fun to make one of those! Maybe carved out of balsa wood or molded with Sculpey? Done up right, with a good paint job that'd look awesome in my office!
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Hey Frenchy,
Check out both the old board and new board for info on the Radios, Or just look on the net as there are people who make them for sale......I just won't say who.

Good Luck!
Larry
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

Scott Sebring wrote:
burkestudio wrote:Do you guys think it's safe to say that the one with the "strap" was used in the movie, and the other was used on the show?

-Jeremy
I wouldn't claim such a distinction without checking every appearance of the Bat Radios used during the course of the show.
Although, somebody may have already done so.
After I hand made my replica, I skimmed through every episode, and can't remember finding any radios with a handle used on the series - only in the film. But I did not do an exhaustive search, so I may be wrong. I've never seen that PR shot of Yvonne holding one with a handle! It would be weird to have that prop around with the handle on it and never use it on the show, or even weirder to just put the handle back on for a picture!

BTW, here's a reminder of my homemade replica of this prop:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2392

RRR
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Hi RRR,
THAT is the link I was wanting for our Friend to find!!!!! Thanks!

Hope all is well with You and Yours,
Cheers, and Thanks again!
Larry
Frenchy1939

Post by Frenchy1939 »

Larry A. wrote:Hey Frenchy,
Check out both the old board and new board for info on the Radios, Or just look on the net as there are people who make them for sale......I just won't say who.

Good Luck!
Of course! I should've known I'm not the first one to come up with the idea. That thing would be a perfect candidate for a scratch built model. I made a 1989 batmobile pinewood derby car about 10 years ago when my son was in Cub Scouts for the adult leader division. Hey, if I pulled that off, the radio should be easy!

Just wondering if anybody has specs on the original prop? Does someone here own one of the actual radios?

Sorry for the dumb questions....I'm new to the board. Thanks.
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

You're Welcome Frenchy,
Your are NOT asking "dumb questions"!!!!! The only "dumb question" is the one NOT asked!!!!!
Check out RickRickRick's postings under the search function. For that matter, use the search function for the Radio.
Larry