Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

AndyFish

Re: The Batman Serials, Hugh Hefner and the TV Show Connection

Post by AndyFish »

That’s it Keith
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

This is on Facebook, but another element in exposing Australians to "Batmania"... a full year before the TV series started airing Down Under. What a way to go-go.

"Batman au Go-Go"

https://www.facebook.com/thewinnerissyd ... permPage=1

I trust this post goes beyond "Future posts about the 1940's serial of Batman will be treated as 'Off Topic Lounge'." It is certainly inspired by what was happening in the USA after the airing of the pilot episodes and the Jill St John factor.
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
BatmiteReturns

Post by BatmiteReturns »

Since you all have been so nice to me I thought I would post a scan from my own copy of the book that I own. Sorry the quality isn't any better.
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

I could do a very good quality full-page scan of the image for you (and everyone here) if you like, but I'd have to borrow the book.
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Trouble is the image in the book is fairly small.
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

I would love to have an 8x10" or bigger of this photo.
Larry
BatmiteReturns

Post by BatmiteReturns »

What I posted from the book is about as good is going to get in terms of quality
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Yep. I'm sure that it is out there on the Net. We just haven't found it yet.
Larry
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

I've spent many days looking for it to no avail.
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I’m going to be in DC (Washington not comics) and I have a free afternoon so I’m going to see if I can find it at the Historic Film Archives while I’m there.
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Hey Andy, safe trip, my Friend! Might I suggest, if You have the time to check the Library of Congress as well? Come home safe as we;;.
Larry
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

Just posted this in the FB group Batman: The 1st Decade...………….

MEARS Conducts a Private Signing with Gotham Royalty, Johnny Duncan, The Second Actor to Play Robin by Troy Kinunen

MEARS November 11, 2014

Burt Ward is probably the most famous Robin of all-time, but the role was also excellently portrayed by 1949 Batman & Robin serial star Johnny Duncan.
Born in 1923 on an 80 acre farm 100 miles north of Kansas City, I contacted this living legend earlier this spring. To my surprise, he had just finished the week long task of cutting the grass on the same farm where he was born. At 91 years old, he was mowing the lawn for the last time, as he was preparing it for sale. It was a job he had dutifully performed almost his entire life.
When Mr. Duncan answered the phone, a lively, friendly, energetic, kind and wonderful man greeted me. After explaining my intentions, he spent the better part of an hour talking about filming, life in Kansas City during the depression, and the itchy wool costume he wore during the filming of the Batman & Robin serials which he immediately threw out after the filming. He had had enough of the irritation the heavy wool costumes caused in the summer heat. He left them laying on the floor of the set and simply walked away.
Douglas Croft has the distinction of playing Robin the first time in the 1943 Series starring Lewis Wilson as Batman. The franchise was revived again in 1949, and Robert Lowery starred with Duncan as the 2nd Batman.
Per my discussions with Mr. Duncan, he told me he was offered to co-star with Adam West for the 1966 series. Offered $750 a week for the role, at the advice of his agent, Duncan now having motion picture experience demanded $1,500 per episode. No return phone call was ever made, and Burt Ward was given the role. He did receive one conciliatory phone call from Adam West expressing his desire to have worked with him.
MEARS had 3×5 cards, cards, and 16×20 prints autographed during the private signing. Custom Johnny Duncan holograms with the May 13th, 2014 date were added to each item to document the date of the signing. The expert staff of JSA has also authenticated each signed photo. The signatures were all bold and beautiful, with no betrayal of the signature that may be expected by a 91 year old signer.
Working with Mr. Duncan was quite a pleasure, and his work as an early Robin should be seen by all.
Attachments
47320868_1942059132549648_3291658155355799552_n.jpg
47320868_1942059132549648_3291658155355799552_n.jpg (16.15 KiB) Viewed 8064 times
47578946_1942059155882979_8393468816352346112_n.jpg
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
CADA

Post by CADA »

Thank You, Keith, am such a huge fan of 1949 serial and Mr. Duncan I had the pleasure of talking to him a few times thru email along with his wife. I remember asking him about the costume and he said he just left it there never wanting to see it again and how he wishes he would have kept it. I wish his costume along with Lowerys would pop up I got so many things signed by him from DVDs to figures to pictures along with his book. I know towards the end he wasn't in good shape I didn't know how bad he was I remember the week before he passed I was going to send him a few stuff to get signed his replica mask along with some posters I didn't send them then to find out later he died I was shocked and very sadden. I wish I would have sent him that along with the replica vest that Mr. Chuck Williams made I would have loved for him to have seen them. I remember hearing that he was offered the Robin role for the 60s series I remember thinking that can't be true because he was 41-42 then.
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

Keith Mayo wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:55 pm I know Van Hiss did Batmania and Batmania II, with the second one having more information than the first. Any help would be appreciated.
James Van Hise (not Hiss) also did a "Batmania III". (Pioneer Books, June 1, 1996).

I came across the reference online last week and remembered there was a post here. (I suspect I have all three, currently in storage.)
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)