Black Widow vs Mr. Cash - Funniest Scene Ever?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Frenchy1939

Black Widow vs Mr. Cash - Funniest Scene Ever?

Post by Frenchy1939 »

Hello Fellow Batman Fans!

What is your funniest moment from the TV show? Mine involves "Mr. Cash" ...wins hands down for me.

I am a year behind most all of you guys and am only just now watching every episode in my collectors edition blu Ray set that I got for Christmas. I just finished watching the Black Widow episode from season two...

Ok...Mr. Cash is in Commissioner Gordon's office, Batman is carrying around the ridiculous hair dryer thing. Mr. Cash says in a country accent, "Oh this is worse than I thought! First my money, now my BRAIN!" Ha Ha Ha Ha!!! Ok, that was freakin' funny! I rarely laugh out loud at anything on TV but that one did it!

I just had to relate it to you guys. ...Batman putting the hairdryer on the country banker guy...in total seriousness...ha ha ha!!! I've been walking around the house all week saying (in a country accent, of course), .."first my money....now my brain!!!"

Too freakin' awesome! ...that's the funniest scene I've seen so far! Just thought I'd share.

What is your funniest scene from the show??
Pengy

Re: Black Widow vs Mr. Cash - Funniest Scene Ever?

Post by Pengy »

Penguin throwing a pie into the faces of Gordon and O'Hara. I thought it was hilarious. And the build up to it with Penguin pacing up and down in frustration ranting about not getting arrested was funny, too. "Great quivering jellyfish, what an outrage!"

Given how stuffy Neil Hamilton was supposed to be on set, I bet the cast and crew all loved seeing him get walloped with a pie haha.
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

I don't think Neil Hamilton was stuffy so much as professional. If getting hit with as pie was part of the job, I doubt it bothered him. Generally, from everything I've seen, the cast had great respect for him. Adam mentioned in his book that Hamilton and West's father got along "famously" when his father and step-mother visited the set. He said that when he saw His father & Neil Hamilton looking at him, and almost certainly talking about him during a set-up for a scene, he felt like it was "parent's day" at school! The cast & crew had probably much rather have seen Burt Ward get hit by a pie!
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

For me it's the one good scene in the whole Puzzler story: when the Duo meet up with Artemis Knab and the Puzzler, and Batman gives Robin a good poke to shut him up!
Progress Pigment wrote:The cast & crew had probably much rather have seen Burt Ward get hit by a pie!
"The Contaminated Cowl" would have offered a perfect opportunity, after he managed to avoid the bowlful of salad the Mad Hatter threw at him... :lol:
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
Pengy

Post by Pengy »

Progress Pigment wrote:I don't think Neil Hamilton was stuffy so much as professional. If getting hit with as pie was part of the job, I doubt it bothered him. Generally, from everything I've seen, the cast had great respect for him. Adam mentioned in his book that Hamilton and West's father got along "famously" when his father and step-mother visited the set. He said that when he saw His father & Neil Hamilton looking at him, and almost certainly talking about him during a set-up for a scene, he felt like it was "parent's day" at school! The cast & crew had probably much rather have seen Burt Ward get hit by a pie!
Being overly professional can make someone very stuffy.

What Adam said was Neil was one of Dozier's "cronies", very professional, rarely smiled, never brought his family to the set, saw this campy TV show as serious drama, lost his temper with Adam several times and threatened to walk out of the show if Adam didn't take it seriously (all because Adam laughed at the humor in the scripts), complained about Stafford Repp's Irish brogue etc. Adam also said he complained about Julie Newmar voicing reservations about Catwoman falling for Batman and said something like "Why can't she just do what she's told" like she's not entitled to have an opinion.

So yeah obviously this is all Adam's word, but if it's true, and there's no reason to believe it's not, seeing Neil get smacked with a pie was probably really satisfying. Not because they disliked Neil, but because it's always fun to see the one who has not got a fun bone in their body on the set get made the butt end of a messy joke like a pie in the face. Like the straight man in a comedy act get made fun of.

You're right though they probably would have gotten a bigger kick out of seeing Burt get hit with it. Grace Gaynor, who played Penguin's moll Chickadee in that episode, said Burt was so obnoxious on the set.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Pengy wrote:
Progress Pigment wrote:You're right though they probably would have gotten a bigger kick out of seeing Burt get hit with it. Grace Gaynor, who played Penguin's moll Chickadee in that episode, said Burt was so obnoxious on the set.
I've mentioned before that Sherry Jackson recalled that Burt was quite the wimp during shooting of the Riddler Silent Movie caper. That was because his soon-to-be ex was all over him about everything.
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

What Adam said was Neil was one of Dozier's "cronies", very professional, rarely smiled, never brought his family to the set ...

Yeah, as much as we would have liked for them to have been, the Batman cast was never a "family". It was probably the Bat-Book, that mentioned that Stafford Repp got married during the course of the series and never told anyone. That's indicative of the way the cast interacted. I don't have Adam's book anymore, I think, but I believe he said words to the effect that he tried harder not to use "idiot cards" (which Tallulah Bankhead cracked him for), and the take the shoots more seriously, partially because he didn't want to disappoint Hamilton. At least that was my read. And if you're like me and feel that the lack of drama and adventure ruined what had been a great series in the first season, Hamilton may have had a point. Funny, I found one of those "Where Are They Now?" books in a used bookstore bargain bin a couple of years ago with Neil Hamilton in it. And he, at about the age Adam is now, seemed pleased to be remembered for Batman, and thrilled to be recognized by children on the street. So if he had problems with "Batman", the cast & what not, he made his peace.
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
chetchumley

Post by chetchumley »

or how bout CHIEF.O HARAS response,,,that when it came to the human brain,,,his men were not equipped !!! :D
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

chrisbcritter wrote:Batman gives Robin a good poke to shut him up!
A gif is worth a thousand words (and a couple cheap laughs :lol: ):
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
Gorshin Romero

Post by Gorshin Romero »

A recording of the Joker laughing wickedly over and over again in Commissioner Gordon's office turns out to be a bug that was planted on the commissioner and stuffed down his pants. When Batman discovers this and explains how the Joker was able to plant the bug on him, Commissioner Gordon gets wide-eyed and says something to the effect of "YES OF COURSE! I remember now; an oddly dressed costumed character did bump into me on the subway this morning."

This had me laughing quite often and my friends and I might even quote it from time to time. However had I been privileged enough to be working on that script, i would have added these lines of dialogue:

Chief O'Hara: "Saints Presarve Us, Commissioner! Do ya' think it was the Joker what boomped into ya?"

Commissioner Gordon: 't looked like him."

Robin: Imagine the nerve---planting a listening device on the Commissioner of Police!

Commissioner Gordon: "Yeeeesss! He must think we're stupid."