The paintings in "The Clock King's Crazy Crimes"

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

The paintings in "The Clock King's Crazy Crimes"

Post by bat-rss »

Paul and I are preparing to do our "To the Batpoles" podcast episode on the Clock King arc. We're finding it rather astonishing in all its references to pop art, at least in part one! The whole idea of the show itself as pop art, and then sort of making fun of the movement, and putting the Duo in a painting...

I got to wondering: the gallery appears to contain at least two original Dali-esque paintings: the one with Batman and Robin in it, that's clearly meant to evoke "The Persistence of Memory"; and the one that Clock King removes from the painting room after his device/artwork cuts through the wall. With some research, I found that the central part of this painting looks similar to Dali's "The Enigma of Hitler", but the top and sides of the painting don't seem to be part of any particular Dali work.

But my question is, who on earth made these paintings? Surely they must have paid someone to do them; they'd have been improbably fortunate to have a stagehand who could produce such work. Anyone know?
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
Progress Pigment

Re: The paintings in "The Clock King's Crazy Crimes"

Post by Progress Pigment »

This hits closer to home because that's my avatar! I think it might've been Leslie Thomas. He did a bunch of brilliant storyboards for the Batman series. I've seen many originals sell on EBAY. Why have copies of these not been collected by bat-fans & posted here? By fandom standards, we're obviously a lazy bunch. :)

http://batgirlbat-trap.com/omake/lesliethomas.html

Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Progress, that's great! Thanks for the info!
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

That "Falling Batman" one certainly matches up with his work.

With this one, though, it's hard to tell...

chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

Then I wonder if Leslie Thomas created the paintings used (and abused) in "Pop Goes the Joker"/"Flop Goes the Joker" as well?
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
Milnod

Post by Milnod »

Never seen the story boards before they are great -there must be more?
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

ProgressPigment included this link in his post above: http://batgirlbat-trap.com/omake/lesliethomas.html
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

I just rewatched "The Clock King Gets Crowned," and I'm pretty sure Leslie Thomas must've drawn the "Gotham City Plans & Views" images of the clock tower, blacksmith figure, and helipad that Batman & Robin refer to while researching Clock King's remark about "Mr. Smith."

Cheers,

QQ