Blind As A Bat

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Bat-Tiger

Blind As A Bat

Post by Bat-Tiger »

Greetings Bat-Fans! I apologize for the lateness in finishing my story. I hope this part that I'm about to share can tide you over until I'm finished. 8-)

Blind As A Bat

Last time...
Riddler gets a new toy.
Batman & Robin reveal their secret identities.
Batgirl declines.
Riddler escapes, and plans to rob Gotham University.
Our heroes are left riddled.
Batman is blind?
Stay tuned...

Robin stood in shock, if Batman had indeed been blinded, what would become of Gotham City? He could try fighting alone, maybe if Batgirl helped the two of them could continue the fight.

He thought for a moment, nobody could replace Batman, and he wasn't sure he could trust Batgirl, not after...

His thoughts were interrupted by Batman's next words. "Robin... get me back to the Batmobile, you'll have to drive back to the Batcave." Batman said, as he groped for a handhold to stand.

Robin held out his arm, and helped his mentor back to his feet. "Batman, do you think I'm ready for that?"

Despite his condition, Batman forced a smile, "There's nobody I trust more old chum, besides, you have to get some practice." Before they left, Robin grabbed a slip of green paper left behind in the blast.

*batspin*

The two heroes made their way slowly to the Batmobile, Robin led him by the arm, if anyone saw this sad scene, it would be obvious that Batman had a vision problem. In a cruel twist of fate, three vile miscreants were doing just that. At the former lair of the River Rats gang, Riddler was watching the aftermath on a special closed circuit monitor.

"Could it be? My arch-nemesis blind? Oh this is just too perfect!" Riddler clapped his hands and giggled. "Not only can Batman do nothing to stop me, he has to retire and live with the fact that he is finished"

"Now what boss?" Query asked.

"Now we wait for the boy wonder to bumble in on his own, once he's dealt with, there will be absolutely nobody that can stop us. First thing's first... we lay a trap for Robin, we liberate a suitable staff from Gotham Penitentiary, and destroy gotham University!"

"What about Batgirl boss?" Puzzle asked.

"Let her come! We'll kill two bats with one bomb, one... very... big... bomb!" Riddler laughed and barked out the order for them to get to work.

*batspin*

Meanwhile at the Batcave, located beneath stately Wayne Manor, Alfred is conducting tests to assess the damage to Batman's vision. While Robin works at deciphering Riddler's latest clues.

"I must admit sir, that while my skills as a physician are greater than your average butler, the field of optometry is somewhat unfamiliar to me. Are you positive that you won't allow me to call anyone?" Alfred said, his voice wavered with sadness.

"No Alfred, Batman being blinded wether permanently or temporarily can be explained, but if the same happened to Bruce Wayne..."

"Yes sir, I will of course do everything I can."

Batman changed the subject, "How is Robin?"

"Quite angry sir, I cannot say that I blame him. He intends to carry on without you if need be, I just hope that he doesn't do anything foolish." Alfred felt a slight pain in his chest, he knew that the day may come when the dynamic duo met their end, but nothing could prepare him for it.

Batman paused, he didn't want to see someone who was like a son to him throw his life away in a reckless quest for revenge, but in his present state, what could he do to stop him?

*batspin*

Upstairs in Bruce Wayne's study, Dick Grayson paces back and forth nervously, feverishly working out Riddler's latest clue in his mind. His attention is divided however, as he ponders the fate of his partner Batman.
"Holy blackout," he says aloud to himself, "I can't imagine what it would be like not being able to use my eyes." He sits down in a chair, and puts his head in his hands. "Maybe it's time Robin learned to fly on his own?"

Just then, Aunt Harriet just happened to be walking by the study, and in a rare moment, saw the door was open for once. She couldn't help but overhear part of her nephew's ponderings. "Dick?" she asked quizically "Is something the matter?"

"Holy lockjaw" Dick thought to himself, I have to be more careful when I'm thinking outloud. "It's nothing Aunt Harriet, I'm just a little nervous. It won't be long before I start looking into attending college, and well I'll be on my own soon."

"Oh Dick, I'm sure you'll be fine. Yours grades are near the top of your class, you're a bright, hard working young man, and Bruce has been a fine father figure over the last few years. And if I may add, Aunt Harriet don't raise no fools."

They looked at each other and laughed briefly. Then she spoke again, "If Batman and Robin were here, I'm sure they would tell you to stop moping, stand up straight, and face your challenge head on. And besides..." she crossed the room to embrace him, "you'll never be alone, you have your family and friends to lean on, and we'll always be here when you need us."

"Thanks Aunt Harriet, you're right, I'm going to face this head on."

She turned to leave, Dick followed her and closed the door. He read the riddle again. "I don't have any legs, but I can run. I have a mouth, but never eat or drink." He thought for a moment, then punched his fist. "A river! Now what connection does it have to the other clues?" He thought of the musical tones from the Bat-computer, and hummed along. "...the mouse ran up the clock..." "Mice... river... river rats! Wait a minute, the river rats are still in jail, unless he's using their old hideout as his new hideout." He opened the William Shakespeare bust, flipped the switch, and slid down his Bat-pole.

*batspin*
/|\=^..^=/|\
elmrgraham

Re: Blind As A Bat

Post by elmrgraham »

Holy Excellent.
Gorshin Romero

Post by Gorshin Romero »

Patiently waiting for the rest of the story, Bat-Tiger.
Bat-Tiger

Post by Bat-Tiger »

I'll more than likely post it tomorrow.
/|\=^..^=/|\
STP Swallowthispill

Post by STP Swallowthispill »

This is great! Am I the only one who did not just read "batspin* but saw it in my mind?
It takes talent to write in such a way that has me totally engrossed! :D

Can you bring the Atomic pile into the story somehow?

Charles
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

Can you also bring a female henchmoll into the story somehow? By the way,excellent job.
Bat-Tiger

Post by Bat-Tiger »

STP Swallowthispill wrote:This is great! Am I the only one who did not just read "batspin* but saw it in my mind?
It takes talent to write in such a way that has me totally engrossed! :D

Can you bring the Atomic pile into the story somehow?

Charles
Thank you. I'll see what I can do about working that in.
elmrgraham wrote:Can you also bring a female henchmoll into the story somehow? By the way,excellent job.
I hadn't planned on a henchmoll, but I did just get an idea for one that I may use in my next story.
/|\=^..^=/|\
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

Thanks for sharing your story.
Bat-Tiger

Post by Bat-Tiger »

Thank you everyone for the feedback, and kind words. Once again I apologize for how long it's taken, but hopefully these chapters I've posted will keep you entertained until i'm finished.
/|\=^..^=/|\
Bat-Tiger

Post by Bat-Tiger »

No I haven't forgotten about my fellow Bat-fans. Since I've been here last I've gotten married, and ive been quite busy. I plan on finishing my story.
/|\=^..^=/|\
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

Congratulations! I hope you have a very happy marriage.
Gorshin Romero

Post by Gorshin Romero »

HOLY MATRIMONY BAT-TIGER! CONGRATULATIONS!
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

HOLY MATRIMONY!CONGRATS!
Batfan 66

Post by Batfan 66 »

Very Good! Will be looking forward to next chapter!
Has the whole world gone batty!?!?