All TWELVE Batman films ranked 12th to first

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

BatBrain

Re: All TWELVE Batman films ranked 12th to first

Post by BatBrain »

I think it's awesome reading everyone's thoughts on these movies!!!
Progress Pigment wrote:
BatBrain wrote:Yeah, I'm pretty positive that everyone can agree that Batman & Robin and Batman Forever were pretty bad, and right at the bottom!
Nope! Can't Agree! Batman Forever was better than either of the Keaton films. Val Kilmer was a good Batman. Not brilliant, but unlike "working the suit" (his quote) Keaton, good. And his Bruce Wayne had a modicum of class. And he didn't need the hair transplants, facial surgery, lifts to make him taller, and fake bee stung lips to play the part. He just showed up. Kilmer was the best Bruce Wayne since Adam West hands down. And unlike Keaton he looked like the scion of the Wayne family. Not like an asst. manger at "Wendy's". Yes, the villains were terrible. But The "fat old man" Joker was pretty bad in Batman 1989. And the topper, "Holy rusted metal, Batman!" 'Batman Forever' was second season Batman, 'Batman 1989' was third season Batman. I rest my case.

http://moviepilot.com/posts/1460326
It is interesting when you talk about Kilmer being the epitome, basically, of Bruce Wayne and Batman. That is actually one of the things that I view as a major drawback, is Kilmer's portrayal. I just feel like it is somewhat mediocre to put it simply. Not sure how others here view that aspect, thoughts??? Anyway, my opinion still stands, and once again, I will respectfully disagree, but that is what makes these threads fun, is reading everyone's stance! :)
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

No, actually I thought Adam West was the epitome of Bruce Wayne. Nobody else has ever come close. Kilmer was certainly second. Third? Maybe Bale. He was actually quite good. Bruce Wayne is a man in athletic shape about 6'2 (only West and Bale were that height). Looking about like this.

lol! Oddly enough, both actors from the serials were nearly perfect Bruce Waynes. Right in there with West, Bale & Kilmer. Seriously, some questioned West's physique. Image Keaton in the 1960's bat suit! Even with all the work they did on Keaton (and Tim Burton wanted Bill Murray originally), he was not physical specimen enough to be believable. In what universe is this chin-less wonder Bruce Wayne/Batman?

(nice hair transplant.)

Okay, one last thing. Apparently Cubby Broccoli once considered Adam West for James Bond. Luckily it wasn't tried, but okay. He considered James Brolin too, later on and a screen test was done. Could Clooney have even remotely been considered for Bond? Possibly. Kilmer? Possibly. Keaton? :) Michael Keaton is Bond! James Bond! But no. James Bond is a strong, physical man. And doesn't need to hide in a big rubber suit.
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
TP-6597

Post by TP-6597 »

Might as well throw my hat into the ring with a visual companion to my earlier rankings.

I'm a big fan of the various comic book versions through the years, the graphic novels, some of the films and a couple of the animated series.
I have no problem what so ever with the character evolving during the past 75 years. These are just my opinions on the live-action versions.

Coming in first is a rare instance for me where introduction=favorite.
This is how Batman was introduced to me in the 1960s and it's still how I view the character. A full-on take of the comic book version as he was at the time. Bruce Wayne and Batman, West excelled.

Second for me is Keaton. He was a welcome sight after so many years without a Batman outside of the comic books. I had no problem with the casting or his portrayal.
The suit was a late 80s take, but kept the spirit of the 1960s.

Third for me is Affleck. He handles the role well and the suit gets back to its original look, while easily staying part of the modern world.
It's Frank Miller all the way, but still fits as a take on the 1930s - 1950s.

Fourth for me is Bale. He was fine as Wayne and Batman, in spite of the over-the-top gravely\raspy voice.
The suit got a little busy but at least it wasn't shiny armor with silver overlays or nipples.

Least favorite, by far, is a tie between Clooney and Kilmer. I felt both were terrible and their performances were lost in Schumacher's weird rave club take on Gotham.
I saw both in the theater and had I not been with a group each time, I would have walked out. Both films were an attack on the senses. I've all but forgotten nearly every moment of both.

Clooney was fine as Wayne, but he was so well known that it was a distraction

Kilmer looks like a kid dressed as a weird Batman. For me, it failed on every level.

I haven't seen anything other than You Tube clips of the serials from the 1940s, so I don't have much of an opinion on them.
“What's important is that the world know that all visitors to these teeming shores are safe, be they peasant or king.”
Golddragon71

Post by Golddragon71 »

My biggest complaint about the Schumaker films is that they were copies of the '66 style.
I love Batman '66! It was great for it's time and rewatching it is always a fun experience because it takes meback to the times when i would race home after school and watch it not knowing it was ten years old already.

When Batman '89 came out i was much older (18) and loved the Darker tone. (Plus THAT CAR!!!!) Kim Basinger was more Silver St Cloud than Vicky Vale but i had just read the Silver appearances in the greatest Batman greatest Joker stories ever told collections at that point so I was cool with her as a romantic interest that learns the secret.
Nicholson's joker had a menace that Romero for all his fun would never have been able to pull off

Returns was ok... it wasn't as good as '89 (largely (imho) because Burton had a lot more artistic control and i preferred the Anton Furst designs)

It was around this time that i discovered the 49 Serial (my stores never seemed to have the 43 in stock)
a little draggy at parts but had much of the same flavor as the Adventures of Superman so it became a solid favorite for quite a while.

Mask of the Phantasm (I saw this in theater) I was blown away by the Animated Series and the Feature Lengthy film born from it was just as good (I think I actually said to someone afterwards that the score should get an Oscar all by itself)

Batman '66 Movie
The only piece of the series available for so many years. (the series was on various channels intermittently but it was always here today gone tomorrow.) Really good for the most part. Watching it made me realize that the Shucker films were pale attempts at recaturing the flavor and falling short.

Batman Forever ....."Holy Rusted Metal" If that was it's only flaw i could forgive it. But adding to that Bat nipples and Bat Butt?!? the kids who watched '66 may have been grownups by the time this was released but even we knew there were some things that didn't fit the Batman mold anymore. It was a good style in the 60's and the 60's show can be rewatched adnauseum and enjoyed for what it was. But what works well in one era is not necessarily appropriate for another.
Batman and Robin...Second verse, same as the first. Was about to walk out until Alicia Silverstone suited up (The director must have realized that there were a few straight guys that would watch this (even if only once!)

Batman Begins. I'd say it was a rebirth for Batman movie wise but that might be overkill because it was the best part of a trilogy that just fell further down into the darkness than it needed to. That said, as a standalone it was perfect! Th story of Bruce's origin was told really well. Liam Neeson was awesome as first the mentor, then the villain. I still love to watch it over and over

The Dark Knight
In Kevin Smith's Clerks, Dante Hicks explains that Empire Strikes Back had the better ending because it was going out on a down note. and while i personally like it better when my Entertainments leave me feeling like a million bucks at the end, I was willing to concede to this attitude as it pertained to Dark Knight because i felt that the Next One would be the light at the end of the tunnel. (we'll get to what actually happened in a minute) Heath Ledger was a far more frightening Joker than any i had seen by this point. Romero's was wacky, Nicholson's was menacing ledger's was disturbing. I'm not sure it was an Oscar worthy performance in it's own right (although having only seen ledger in two other Movies (Knight's Tale, the Patriot) I could be wrong.) Certainly it was a departure for him.

The Dark Knight Rises
Ok Bruce lives through everything, The young cop Blake moves into the Batcave underneath Wayne manor which is made into an orphanage. Bruce and Selina move to France to live happily ever after... Gordon declares Batman dead and then gets a new bat signal?!? It just left too many loose ends after everything was done.

Batman 1943 serial
I can never really seem to get into this serial. The first chapter being as long as it is is a big part of the problem. that being said I'm not knocking it as bad I just can never push myself to binge on it the way i've done with other Serials.

Batman v Superman
Ok i love Dark Knight Returns. I really enjoyed the book itself and then after such a long wait, I loved the two part animated version released about two years ago, and i think Affleck is great as a more seasoned and experienced Batman. all that aside i wish they had left the Dark Knight Returns alone and not forced so much of it into this film. I did like the introduction of Wonder Woman and the glimpses of the coming Justice League. It has me very excited for the next few movies
With all that said, i do agree that the "Martha" angle was overplayed (it's just as bad in the vastly improved extended cut as it was in the theatrical cut) Also Batman's use of Lethal Force is way over the top. (Superman killed ONE kryptonian in the end of MoS and that was in the defense of a human family and was emotionally shattering to Superman.) Batman on the other hand kills several thugs outright and also puts others in a situation where their death's are practically guaranteed after the fact.
"Someone might be able to substitute for Batman, for a very short time, but no one could ever replace him!"