All TWELVE Batman films ranked 12th to first

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Progress Pigment

All TWELVE Batman films ranked 12th to first

Post by Progress Pigment »

They left out 'Rat Fink and Boo Boo', 'The Wild World of Batwoman', the Filipino 'Fight Batman Fight!' and the two animated Dark Knight movies with Peter Weller (Robocop) -- making it 17 total -- but that's okay. :cry:

1966 Batman ranked #1!!! This would have been unheard of even a decade ago. Further proof I suppose, that the Tim Burton films have fallen into the dustbin of history. And I doubt they'll ever enjoy the resurgence in popularity that the TV series has recently. "Returns" I thought was a bit better, except for and impossibly gross Penguin laying eggs or whatever. The 1989 film to me seemed like an over-blown 2 hour action figure commercial! And really, it lost me as soon as they stupidly made The Joker the murderer of Bruce Wayne's parents. I would have ranked the final Bale film a lot higher than the survey did.

http://www.thewrap.com/batman-through-b ... ed-photos/

Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
dell

Re: 17 Batman films ranked 17th to first

Post by dell »

Actually, there are only 12 movies on the list. They used 17 pages. Of course, they could have just gone straight to the last page to get to number 1 and saved me clicking through the other pages.
dell
BatBrain

Post by BatBrain »

Not a very good list in my opinion. I'm sure a lot of people around here would likely agree somewhat. In any case though, it is a list and it is only an opinion. I think he Nolan trilogy got better with each movie, though this list is opposite. I also don't believe Batman Forever should be above The Dark Knight Rises, The Dark Knight, and Batman (89). I can't speak on behalf of Dawn of Justice as I still have not seen it. Although I am a huge 66 series fan, it is probably my favorite Batman, I'm not sure I would put the movie at number 1, as far as the films are concerned.
John Mack

Re: All TWELVE Batman films ranked 12th to first

Post by John Mack »

There's more Batman movies than 43, 49 and 66? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Music. BAT! Music.
gothosmansion

Post by gothosmansion »

Yeah, I don't ever like these lists (even when I agree with them) because they are just one persons opinions. Also, since Mask of the Phantasm got a brief theatrical release, shouldn't it have been included? It was BY FAR the best Batman movie of the 1990s, imo.
riddler123

Post by riddler123 »

dell wrote:Actually, there are only 12 movies on the list. They used 17 pages. Of course, they could have just gone straight to the last page to get to number 1 and saved me clicking through the other pages.

I counted 11:

Batman (40s)
Batman & Robin (40s)
Batman the Movie (66)
Batman (89)
Batman Returns
Batman Forever
Batman & Robin
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight
The Dark Knight rises
Batman V Superman

What's your twelth movie?
BatBrain

Post by BatBrain »

gothosmansion wrote:Yeah, I don't ever like these lists (even when I agree with them) because they are just one persons opinions. Also, since Mask of the Phantasm got a brief theatrical release, shouldn't it have been included? It was BY FAR the best Batman movie of the 1990s, imo.
Yes!!! Mask of the Phantasm is amazing!
dell

Post by dell »

riddler123 wrote:
dell wrote:Actually, there are only 12 movies on the list. They used 17 pages. Of course, they could have just gone straight to the last page to get to number 1 and saved me clicking through the other pages.

I counted 11:

Batman (40s)
Batman & Robin (40s)
Batman the Movie (66)
Batman (89)
Batman Returns
Batman Forever
Batman & Robin
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight
The Dark Knight rises
Batman V Superman

What's your twelth movie?
The article said that there were 12. I didn't bother counting. I believe you that there were only 11.
dell
BatBrain

Post by BatBrain »

Now that I've rewatched the 89-95 movies, and the Nolan trilogy, I think I can accurately decide on my favorites. I have yet to rewatch the serials, which I will do at some point down the line, and I'm not going to bother with Batman & Robin as I don't have to rewatch it to recall how terrible it is. Batman 66 I've seen so many times already, so I definitely didn't have to refresh myself! Anyway, my list is something like this:

Batman & Robin-4/10
Batman Forever-6/10
The Dark Knight Rises-7.5/10
Batman Returns-7.5/10
Batman(89)-8/10
Batman(66)-8/10
Batman Begins-9/10
The Dark Knight-9.5/10

I will also want to rewatch some of the animated films soon. I recall that Mask of the Phantasm and Under the Red Hood were excellent features, but I haven't seen any animated features beyond those. Finally, I have yet to see Batman vs Superman. :)
TP-6597

Post by TP-6597 »

My list is much shorter because I don't rank movies I disliked or can hardly remember. I'll stay with this:

Batman 1966
Batman 1989

Those are the only two I own or watch. I've seen all since, but don't care to revisit.
Below is my personal rankings of Batman actors. It may help explain why my list is the way it is.

1. Adam West. My introduction to the character *. He played him exactly as he was portrayed in the comic books at the time. Adam West’s portrayal is credited with not only saving Batman but making him a permanent part of American pop culture, which no doubt helped it eventually become a major franchise. To me, Adam West is the quintessential Batman.

2. Michael Keaton. I thought he was a fantastic choice. He kept the character grounded, brought in a touch of realism, yet he still kept one foot in the comic book world which I think is an absolute must for the character to work. A great addition to the franchise and the mythos. Batman only though. Batman Returns was terrible, but not because of Keaton. Burton ruined it. It seems to be the film where Burton found his one-note signature style; Everyone has dark circles around their eyes, pale skin, and wild hair. I saw the film once in the theater, lost interest about halfway through and never watched it again. I remember nothing other than the fact that I thought it was bad.

*3. Ben Affleck. While I have yet to see him in the role, just from the clips so far he’s better than Bale. He seems more believable. I’m looking forward to a Batman-only Affleck film.

4. Christian Bale. I thought he was a good choice as a modern - what if he were real - portrayal. However, having Batman that grounded in reality took away from his mystique. There were a few scenes in the third film where I felt it bordered on parody. Plus that ridiculous voice. The first of his three is by far the best. The second one gets taken over by Ledger chewing the scenery in every shot. The third one has some great moments, but drags on for way too long and the story is unnecessarily complex. Bale’s performance just hasn’t aged well for me, which I honestly didn’t expect.

The rest are forgettable. Clooney at the bottom, just above Kilmer. Two terrible portrayals in the two worst films in the character’s history. I saw each film only once and have forgotten nearly every moment of both of them. I agree with Sheldon Cooper on Big Bang Theory when he listed his arch enemies; “Joel Schumacher, who nearly ruined the Batman franchise.”
It took Bale going full-on dark to right the ship.

* I should point out that for me, the introduction to a character does not automatically equate to the best ever. To name just a few; Rooster Cogburn, James Bond, Q, Moneypenney, and the entire 2009 recasting of the crew of The Enterprise match or surpass the original portrayals. In fact, Adam West as Batman is probably one of the few times in my world where my introduction to a character remains my favorite version of the character. Cesar Romero as The Joker also remains my favorite version of the character. Truthfully, he's the only version I care for.

For the most part, I agree with Adam West himself when he was recently on Big Bang Theory. ;-) I think it’s hilarious that he places the Lego toy above Clooney.
https://youtu.be/OCHnVjQrsRY

It’s actually kind of funny that he goofs on Affleck because in real life he has been very supportive of Affleck as Batman.
From two interviews after he was announced;

-------------------------
"I've heard a lot of adverse comments. I think it's ridiculous. He'll be much better than you think. Go see his current movie [Gone Girl] and you'll see glimpses of Batman. He'll be good."

"My feeling is that Ben Affleck will be really good simply because he's a great talent,"
--------------------------

That’s high praise coming from the person most remembered for bringing the character to life and permanently into pop culture. It's also pretty telling of his importance to the character that several publications interviewed him about his thoughts on the casting 50 years after he brought the character into the mainstream. That in itself shows how iconic Adam West really is.

Now if you'll excuse me, Batman 1966 is queued-up and ready to go. It starts in 3...2...
(Not kidding)
“What's important is that the world know that all visitors to these teeming shores are safe, be they peasant or king.”
tenderheart bear

Post by tenderheart bear »

As much as I love Batman '66, I couldn't say it was the best movie of those listed. Sometimes, the '66 concept is better than the realization of it if that makes sense. My personal ranking (of theatrical releases) would be...

1 - Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
2 - Batman '89
3 - Batman Returns
4 - Batman '66
5 - Batman Begins
6 - The Dark Knight
7 - Batman Forever
8 - The Dark Knight Rises
9 - Batman '43
10 - Batman and Robin '49
11 - Batman & Robin '97

I haven't seen Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice yet so can't comment. I't wasn't a theatrical release but Batman & Mr. Freeze in Sub-Zero was pretty good too. Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman, less-so.
BatBrain

Post by BatBrain »

Yeah, I'm pretty positive that everyone can agree that Batman & Robin and Batman Forever were pretty bad, and right at the bottom! Although to be fair, I don't thing Forever is TOO terrible, I still enjoy it to some extent. That being said, I won't be rewatching it anytime soon! And every list I see, as well as mine, has Rises as being the lowest ranked of the Nolan trilogy. As TP mentioned, it dragged on too much and it was a bit too big for it's own good at points in the film.
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

BatBrain wrote:Yeah, I'm pretty positive that everyone can agree that Batman & Robin and Batman Forever were pretty bad, and right at the bottom!
Nope! Can't Agree! Batman Forever was better than either of the Keaton films. Val Kilmer was a good Batman. Not brilliant, but unlike "working the suit" (his quote) Keaton, good. And his Bruce Wayne had a modicum of class. And he didn't need the hair transplants, facial surgery, lifts to make him taller, and fake bee stung lips to play the part. He just showed up. Kilmer was the best Bruce Wayne since Adam West hands down. And unlike Keaton he looked like the scion of the Wayne family. Not like an asst. manger at "Wendy's". Yes, the villains were terrible. But The "fat old man" Joker was pretty bad in Batman 1989. And the topper, "Holy rusted metal, Batman!" 'Batman Forever' was second season Batman, 'Batman 1989' was third season Batman. I rest my case.

http://moviepilot.com/posts/1460326
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
TP-6597

Post by TP-6597 »

I disagree, hands down. I rest my case.
“What's important is that the world know that all visitors to these teeming shores are safe, be they peasant or king.”
Pengy

Post by Pengy »

Kilmer was a better Batman and Bruce Wayne than Keaton. Batman Forever was the first Batman movie that treated Batman as a character and not just a plot device.