Adam West Batsuit for public appearances, how accurate is it?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

pulpadded

Adam West Batsuit for public appearances, how accurate is it?

Post by pulpadded »

I attended a con this weekend that had a museum area of what was claimed to be screen used and related items. There was a bat suit that they claimed West wore for appearances a decade or so after the show was off the air. The shoes were very different, more like dance flats with boot covers that were the pieces of material, one being over the front of the shoe less a dress shoe or boot. The suit itself looked good, though the cape and shorts were very clean. The cowl had cardboard in it and the face area was painted dark rather than different fabric. I would have taken photos but they charged to allow them.
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Re: Adam West Batsuit for public appearances, how accurate is it?

Post by Scott Sebring »

The public appearance suits of the 70's and later were not terribly accurate as the cowl got recovered, the many of the items were just replaced with approximately similar pieces (tights, gloves, boots, trunks, cape) although some things like the utility belt was usually still original . One note though is that the series worn cowls were indeed painted on the front and not a different material.
It would have probably been worth it to have some pictures.
pulpadded

Post by pulpadded »

The belt looked best of all the material. I was surprised that the cape had snaps on the chest inside, which would close to cape over the symbol.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

It's a shame you didn't manage to grab some snaps.

Which museum were displaying these out of interest?
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

From what I remember when I met Adam, in costume back around 1990 at the Green Bay world Of Wheels, I don't think any part of his suit was original, at least it did not look original to me. The cowl sure wasn't.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

and the tights were almost a white gray from pictures I've seen from that era
pulpadded

Post by pulpadded »

I'm not sure what museum. I didn't get to that part of the event until 15 minutes prior to it closing, so most of the displays were disassembled. Here's a photo someone too.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/markricks ... 5/sizes/o/
wally wingert

Post by wally wingert »

Did it look like this?

When I met him in 1980 only the boots, cowl shell and cape were original from the series (and possible the buckle). All the other parts were (very poorly) refabricated. But hey, it was Adam West in costume as Batman. Who was I to complain?
Attachments
Adam West 7.jpg
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

pulpadded wrote:I'm not sure what museum. I didn't get to that part of the event until 15 minutes prior to it closing, so most of the displays were disassembled. Here's a photo someone too.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/markricks ... 5/sizes/o/
27499536175_f727b46a01_o.jpg
Looks like the fabric is separating from the fiberglass (not cardboard) inside the cowl. The snaps on the cape are not to close it in front but to keep the cape folds in place over the shoulders. Check out the my video on snaps (you'll need it in the future anyways): http://www.66batman.com/2015/07/05/capes-snaps-and-you/
pulpadded

Post by pulpadded »

Scott Sebring wrote:
pulpadded wrote:Looks like the fabric is separating from the fiberglass (not cardboard) inside the cowl.
The edges around the cheek were corrugated, either cardboard or plastic.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

I've definitely seen this same suit set up in photo's from another location.

Looking at it in way better light this time, it looks like the tights and emblem are quite possibly the only original pieces that are visible in this shot.
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Hey Guys,

This is the costume from the Hall of Heroes Museum.
I got booted from their Facebook page for pointing out it was not from the show when they were promoting it as an authentic Batman TV costume when they first purchased it.

It's an authentic "Adam West Batman Costume" .... which means it was owned and sold by Adam back in the day.

With this higher res image I'm pretty sure not even the tights and emblem are authentic to the show.

I think the cowl is made with something other than fiberglass because I have a shot of it with a sideburn folded on one side!

The only things that date to the show are the boots which were painted fabric spats attached to flats. Alfred wore them and the "Grand Pa" robot in the Black Widow wore them on the table.
These were thrown in by the former collector/ seller when he sold to the museum.

You used to have to press them hard before they copped to it not being from the show.
Now they just go with an Authentic Adam West Batman costume.
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Thanks Chuck!
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

Batman65 wrote:
wally wingert wrote:Did it look like this?

When I met him in 1980 only the boots, cowl shell and cape were original from the series (and possible the buckle). All the other parts were (very poorly) refabricated. But hey, it was Adam West in costume as Batman. Who was I to complain?
That was my exact thoughts when I met him. Suit was not accurate, but I could have cared less. It was Batman himself, and I was like a little kid, even though I was 24.
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Happy to help!

Here is the letter that came with it when it was being sold and here is a shot of it on display in the museum.
Attachments
$T2eC16FHJH8E9qSEUdQcBRQLHK5dbQ~~60_57.jpg
museum bat suit - Copy.jpg
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info