I Love Season 3

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Bookworm

I Love Season 3

Post by Bookworm »

I have recently been watching much of season 3 with my children and my prior thoughts are even stronger now: I don't get why people don't like season 3. I admit it has it's faults. The sets were minimalistic and there are 3 part episodes that never should have been longer than 2 parts. Those problems seemed to stem from the lower budgets. However, I think many of the shows themselves are great--the Siren episode, the Riddler boxing, Surf's Up Joker's Under, the Ogg and I. These all display a lot of creativity and vitality. I also think that Batgirl makes an interesting and positive addition to the cast. Moreover, little girls love her. Personally, I really wish a Season 4 was made. I understand if some prefer earlier seasons, but I really don't get the derogatory attitude that many seem to have regarding Season 3. I think it's great!
John Mack

Re: I Love Season 3

Post by John Mack »

I'm right there with you on this. Season 3 was my first actual memories of the show. I was 6 in 1968. So I remember Batgirl, more like Batgirl's theme, and I was totally taken by the Batmobile. I can remember me running my Corgi Batmobile on a TV tray while the 3rd season opening to the Batcave was on. Billy May's music is just out of this world! One of my favorite episodes is the Joker's flying saucer. I just get a kick out it. And after all, isn't that what it's supposed to be? Fun? Lackluster sets aside, some real memorable moments happen. King Tut finding the Batcave and the over the top performance of Victor. That episode is probably one of my favorites from the entire series.

I think the disdain for the the third season is because of the points you mention, but I think there's more to it than meets the eye. It's the end. We as fans don't like the end. My feelings on the end and a fourth season may shock some, but here goes: The series ended when it did for a lot of reasons, mainly because it was time. I think a fourth season would have been even more uncomfortable to watch then the 3rd season and would have just prolonged the inevitable. No, it was time. But yes, season 3 is fun for me. Even the electronic mice and the flute playing. Nora, not so much. Too political.
Music. BAT! Music.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

While I cringe at the sight of most Season 3 episodes, I've come to be amused by some of the scenes in Season 1 that are supposed to be portraying a bustling metropolis. A few of the chase scenes through "the streets of Gotham City" look like they were taking place in Small Town America. :lol: Making good use of those studio backlots. :D

I've noted this before, but the latter part of Season 2's Mad Hatter appearance is comical from the standpoint of how "thousands" of people rush to some dumpy-looking housing project to cheer the return of Batman and Robin. :lol:
Aussie Batfan

Post by Aussie Batfan »

Season 3 = Yvonne as Batgirl. Reason enough to love it....
Cheers,
Terry
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

I feel like we're in some sort of detox support group..."Hello everyone. My name is John and I love season three." :lol: :lol:
Music. BAT! Music.
BatBrain

Post by BatBrain »

I have to agree somewhat! I've been watching season 3 (7 episodes in) and I don't see why it's despised as much as it is. I definitely prefer seasons 1 and 2, but 3 is so fun and has a few of the most memorable episodes.
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

It's generally despised by fans of the series because it had become an unfunny parody of the series and the 'Batman' series had become a low rated embarrassment. It KILLED the Batman TV series. Dozier wanted to produce enough episodes for a good syndication deal, quality be damned, and that's what he got. If the series had died still producing good episodes, that would have been fine. Like if the last episode had been "The Clock King's Crazy Crimes", :) instead of 'Minerva, Mayhem and Millionaires'! The 3rd season produced about 5 episodes I like. And I'm being VERY liberal here! The 2nd season maybe about 15 or so. The first season? I love every one. Are you understanding now? The 3rd season finished off what had been a brilliant TV anomaly, and made the series and it's characters a laughing stock for roughly 3 decades. The TV series was considered a joke by Batman fans mainly because of the indefensible 3rd season. Watch "Surf's Up ..." and that was what 'Batman' was. It eliminated all the good well-produced hours of Adam West being a believable Batman that came before it. That's why some fans of the series despise it.
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
Pengy

Post by Pengy »

BatBrain wrote:I have to agree somewhat! I've been watching season 3 (7 episodes in) and I don't see why it's despised as much as it is. I definitely prefer seasons 1 and 2, but 3 is so fun and has a few of the most memorable episodes.
The first 6 episodes are some of the better ones of S3. Love Batgirl's intro and Pengy is a hoot in this episode. Riddler's boxing episode was saved by Gorshin's energy, plus we had a dash of Siren. Speaking of Siren, her episode was class. Great villainess of S1 caliber. Joan Collins oozed sexuality and menace. I adore the Pengy/Lola two parter. Has so many great moments. Pengy in the horse racing outfit always makes me laugh. Burgess and Ethel had great chemistry. I believed they were old childhood friends. King Tut's episode was good fare with his phony psychic bit.

After that it really starts to slip. Louie the Lilac is awful, Egghead playing lovesick sidekick to Olga, that bloody awful surfing episode, the Londinium three parter was a snooze etc.
Bat-Brony92

Post by Bat-Brony92 »

Yeah season 3 was not the best part of batman, don't even get me started on the John Astin Riddler and the god awful surfing episode! (except for The Sport of Penguins/A Horse of Another Color, that was funny!)
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Bat-Brony92 wrote:Yeah season 3 was not the best part of batman, don't even get me started on the John Astin Riddler and the god awful surfing episode! (except for The Sport of Penguins/A Horse of Another Color, that was funny!)
Astin was in Season 2, Gorshin came back for his farewell early in S3.
Bat-Brony92

Post by Bat-Brony92 »

Dr. Shimel wrote:
Bat-Brony92 wrote:Yeah season 3 was not the best part of batman, don't even get me started on the John Astin Riddler and the god awful surfing episode! (except for The Sport of Penguins/A Horse of Another Color, that was funny!)
Astin was in Season 2, Gorshin came back for his farewell early in S3.
Oh oops my bad :oops:
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

I don't really care that Batman wasn't as "believable" in season 3. Surf's Up, Joker's Down is one of the best episodes of the series. "Realistic" or not, West is still definitely Batman, and there is so much creative, over-the-top battiness that I love it. Part of what is going on here may be that many "serious" fans of the show are fairly "serious." Like the attitudes of the Star Trek TNG fans who despise the humor in Star Trek TOS. I am not that way. I admire creativity and vitality in whatever form, and I think that there was a lot of that in Season 3.
DISCLAIMER: I was singing the Batgirl theme song in the car with my 8 year old daughter today, so understand what I am saying with that in mind. :)
Golddragon71

Post by Golddragon71 »

I enjoyed season 3 for the most part except for the Fogg three parter (and why couldn't they call it London anyway?!?) I also wanted to know the in-story explaination of the Catwoman switch (I always thought she was an off-camera member of Catwoman's gang who took over after the real Catwoman retired/disappeared.)
"Someone might be able to substitute for Batman, for a very short time, but no one could ever replace him!"
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Golddragon71 wrote:) I also wanted to know the in-story explaination of the Catwoman switch (I always thought she was an off-camera member of Catwoman's gang who took over after the real Catwoman retired/disappeared.)
Catwoman was supposed to be the same person in the series and movie, just as the Riddler--in-story--was the same person.
Beneath Wayne Manor
dell

Post by dell »

Golddragon71 wrote:I enjoyed season 3 for the most part except for the Fogg three parter (and why couldn't they call it London anyway?!?) I also wanted to know the in-story explaination of the Catwoman switch (I always thought she was an off-camera member of Catwoman's gang who took over after the real Catwoman retired/disappeared.)
They don't call Gotham City New York now do they? :lol:

Actually, Londinium is the original name of the settlement that eventually became London. That was almost 2,000 years ago. Boudica destroyed the settlement about 20 years later as part of her attempt to throw the Romans out of what we now call England. And does anyone know what character is based on Boudica (very loosely)?
dell