I Love Season 3

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

dell

Re: I Love Season 3

Post by dell »

Progress Pigment wrote:Some bad shows (Happy Days!) were quite popular.
You do realize that your comment is heresy to some people. Many people loved that show. But I'm with you; I thought it was awful. Even the Nora Clavicle episode is better than any Happy Days episode in my opinion.
dell
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Progress Pigment wrote:Agreed! It probably wouldn't have lasted even that long. In season one Dozier had lightning in a bottle, but he never understood it. Probably Semple didn't either, judging by the movie script he wrote.
Whatever flaws are found in the movie script, it was still heads and shoulders above 98% of season three. Imagine if the effort put into the movie carried over to season three. Perhaps a season four would have been the reward.
Beneath Wayne Manor
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

It's clear that Dozier was just hoping to get the series into syndication. The fact that it began in white-hot fashion was just a bonus that made him lazy in making any effort to improve the show. ABC likely would have cancelled the show after S2 without the severe budget cutbacks, which Dozier willingly agreed with, since it would officially guarantee syndication.
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

Dr. Shimel wrote:It's clear that Dozier was just hoping to get the series into syndication. The fact that it began in white-hot fashion was just a bonus that made him lazy in making any effort to improve the show. ABC likely would have cancelled the show after S2 without the severe budget cutbacks, which Dozier willingly agreed with, since it would officially guarantee syndication.
That'a another great thing about season 3. Despite the budget cutbacks could you have imagioned if Dozier hadn't agreed to the budget cuts? There is a chance that the show would have never seen syndication and many of us would have never gotten to enjoy this most iconic of television series.
dell

Post by dell »

The Boss wrote:That'a another great thing about season 3. Despite the budget cutbacks could you have imagioned if Dozier hadn't agreed to the budget cuts? There is a chance that the show would have never seen syndication and many of us would have never gotten to enjoy this most iconic of television series.
Excellent point; I never thought of it that way.
dell
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Historically speaking, By the end of season 2, Batman had more than enough episodes (94) for syndication, as there were many series successfully, consistently syndicated with far less--

The Monkees - 58 episodes
The Munsters - 70 episdodes
Land of the Giants - 51 episodes
Gidget - 32 episodes
Car 54, Where Are You? - 60 episodes
Star Trek - 79 episodes
The Addams Family - 64 episodes
The Outer Limits - 49 episodes

...and additional series--a boatload--with nowhere near the episodes of Batman by the end of season two.

So, not only did Batman have enough episodes, but its standing in TV history would likely be on a higher platform without the endless season 3 disasters.
Beneath Wayne Manor
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I'm with Hornet-- the show COULD have ended at Season 2 and I think the stigma some fans have of the show being a parody of the Batman character would have been less. It might have prevented the Legends and Roasts abominations too-- since they were a continuation of the worst nonsense of Season 3. Batman is also an iconic character, and much like the Serials fans would have found the show simply BECAUSE it was Batman. The Serials never had TV release until AMC aired it on their Saturday Matinee Show nearly 20 years ago and yet many comic fans seek out them anyway.

Do I wish Season 3 didn't exist? No-- I wish SOME of Season's 2 AND 3 didn't exist, but I'm glad we got to see Batgirl.
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

Well then all I can say is too bad for you. :P Fortunately we got a season three. But seriously why does it even matter now that the DVD has been released? If you don't like it, you don't have to watch it. You can then be just as happy as if no season three ever existed. Personally I really enjoy the Legends specials as well. And had Adam West's script treatment been sold (assuming that it would star him and Burt) I'm sure I would have enjoyed that as well. My ability to enjoy art is not limited to the bar set by my personal favorite episode. I realize that some are better than others. The bad episodes make the good ones (even the mediocre one) better by comparrison. IMO.

EDIT: I originally wrote this on my break at work and had to do the short version which may have come across as a bit harsh. That was not my intent. I've since had another break to edit it slightly. If anyone was offended I apologize. It was a miscommunication caused by a lack of time on my part.
Gernot

Post by Gernot »

I, too, enjoyed Season 3 for the most part. What I REALLY didn't like as a boy was the fact that the cliffhanger endings were gone, and the fight music was changed. They used what I always considered the BEST fight-music in only two episodes: In Part 2 of the Londonium serial, and in the episode where King Tut found the Batcave. :)
CADA

Post by CADA »

I can only speak for me as a kid I didn't like season 3 the main reason why I didn't like it was Batgirl I was not interested in seeing her/her kicking butt I wanted to see Batman and Robin do that so as I got older being 30 years old I will be 31 this friday I don't hate season 3 as much as I use to. I happen to like a few episodes from season 3 am one of those people that loves a show/character a lot no matter how many people feel like Batman had already run its course and the episodes wear bad plus cheap looking I would have loved for it to continue. I would have loved if NBC had done a season 4 the same can be said for Happy Days it ran for 11 years I would have loved if it ran for another 3 more years again am one of those people that loves a show/character no matter what another two reasons is I like my shows to have a lot of episodes Batman had 120 you know what I would have loved for it to have had 220 episodes I like the characters growing up and becoming more older whether its Batman/Happy Days/Diff'rent Strokes or any other show. Most fans of any tv show hates when an actor/character gets older I love it for example when they showed Robin getting his license in season 3 the character was getting older so now you can show him driving/show him getting a girlfriend/show him doing things on his own that he doesn't need Batman's help for most of the time things like that another is I hate when a show gets cancelled because its ratings are not as good as they wear before or the network feels it has run it course for example Incredible Hulk because we don't get a proper final episode so in a nutshell sorry I wrote so much I don't hate season 3 and would have loved for Batman to have continued.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

tonyville25 wrote:I can only speak for me as a kid I didn't like season 3 the main reason why I didn't like it was Batgirl I was not interested in seeing her/her kicking butt I wanted to see Batman and Robin do that so as I got older being 30 years old I will be 31 this friday I don't hate season 3 as much as I use to. I happen to like a few episodes from season 3 am one of those people that loves a show/character a lot no matter how many people feel like Batman had already run its course and the episodes wear bad plus cheap looking I would have loved for it to continue. I would have loved if NBC had done a season 4 the same can be said for Happy Days it ran for 11 years I would have loved if it ran for another 3 more years again am one of those people that loves a show/character no matter what another two reasons is I like my shows to have a lot of episodes Batman had 120 you know what I would have loved for it to have had 220 episodes I like the characters growing up and becoming more older whether its Batman/Happy Days/Diff'rent Strokes or any other show. Most fans of any tv show hates when an actor/character gets older I love it for example when they showed Robin getting his license in season 3 the character was getting older so now you can show him driving/show him getting a girlfriend/show him doing things on his own that he doesn't need Batman's help for most of the time things like that another is I hate when a show gets cancelled because its ratings are not as good as they wear before or the network feels it has run it course for example Incredible Hulk because we don't get a proper final episode so in a nutshell sorry I wrote so much I don't hate season 3 and would have loved for Batman to have continued.
Norman Lear once said that no show should last more than five years. By that time, the plots start getting recycled, the quality (usually) diminishes and, oh yeah, the actors make MUCH more money. :D
CADA

Post by CADA »

Norman Lear has a point Three's Company as well as other shows did recycle plots as they went more longer Carl Reiner felt the same that's why The Dick Van Dyke show left after the 5th season not only did he say he wanted it to end at 5 years but felt by doing so the show ends while its still top quality.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

tonyville25 wrote:Norman Lear has a point Three's Company as well as other shows did recycle plots as they went more longer Carl Reiner felt the same that's why The Dick Van Dyke show left after the 5th season not only did he say he wanted it to end at 5 years but felt by doing so the show ends while its still top quality.
Ironically, Reiner's son, Rob, was on Lear's All in the Family. He left the show after seven years, which was (surprise) about two years after the quality had begun to slip. AITF was one of many shows that dragged on WAY past their expired date.
Quarhog

Post by Quarhog »

Aussie Batfan wrote:Season 3 = Yvonne as Batgirl. Reason enough to love it....
...and that weren't enough, there's always Eartha Kitt as Catwoman!
Catwoman Kitt e6d6acd6aea78b8e1f60a460048768f7.jpg
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

Gernot wrote: In Part 2 of the Londonium serial, and in the episode where King Tut found the Batcave. :)
I don't know why they didn't go with the Winch trap as a cliffhanger from Part 2 to 3; it was perfectly set up, maybe add in a transition of Lady Ffogg and the girls taking Robin to the winch room. Did they really think people wouldn't tune in or something or forget a death trap a week later?

cheers