TO THE BATPOLES podcast -- The music of BATMAN

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

TO THE BATPOLES podcast -- The music of BATMAN

Post by bat-rss »

We've just released a TO THE BATPOLES episode where we talk with "Pat the Batman Fan" (as he's known on this very message board) about the documentary he's making on the music of the show. Lots of talk about Nelson Riddle, Neal Hefti, and the like!

http://tothebatpoles.libsyn.com/037-pat ... of-the-bat
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
John Mack

Re: TO THE BATPOLES podcast -- The music of BATMAN

Post by John Mack »

Hey guys. First, let me thank you for the mention! Second of all, sorry for the nana/dada confusion lol.

So, Pat, I should PM you. Or you can just PM me. I love what you're doing. Let me answer a few of the questions that came up in the podcast.

The Marketts single of the theme only got to #17 and the album itself only went to 82.

Riddle's use of the country themed music is from the 1947 movie, The Egg and I, starring Fred MacMurry and introduced the characters, Ma and Pa Kettle.

The first Batman movie soundtrack was made by Lukas Kendall and Film Score Monthly (FSM)

You mention La La Land records. That would be a great idea if they can. But did you know that Neil Norman and Cresendo records released the Star Trek soundtrack doing exactly what we are hoping for? They also released a Star Trek sound effects CD. Something that Batman needs too.

Prince's Batdance that you mention never appears in the 1989 film for reasons you state. The use of our beloved theme. Batdance was only heard on the radio in 1989.

The worst LP ever to cash in on Batman in 1966, was not the Jan and Dean LP. At least we got the theme song and a pretty decent ballad about Batman. No, I'm afraid the honor goes to, "Music for Batman" on Roulette records by The SpaceMen and it had to do with space lol. The music is all space sounding music and has no Batman Theme. I remember buying this record thinking it was going to be great. Not one track has any Bat music. Hope this helps. Pat, PM me anytime.
Attachments
$(KGrHqEOKiUE6UoeOU1QBOlNLGQ0VQ--60_35.jpg
$(KGrHqEOKiUE6UoeOU1QBOlNLGQ0VQ--60_35.jpg (19.49 KiB) Viewed 2469 times
Music. BAT! Music.
Pat The Batman Fan

Post by Pat The Batman Fan »

Thanks for the great info John! No worries on the na na na stuff- it's all in fun!

Yes, you are correct about the Marketts theme not being a number one. My bad! It did chart higher than Hefti's though... and was probably one of the reason Hefti's version didn't chart higher, along with the Jan and Dean version that came out at roughly the same time.

Nice detective work on "The Egg & I". Never even heard of it, and it makes the reference even better... great stuff!

I remembered it was FSM as I was listening to the podcast :(

Batdance was not in the film, that is correct. But it was inescapable in 1989!

And honest to God, I would take the Batman "Space" record over the Jan & Dean album. Theme song aside, it's utterly cringeworthy IMHO. I would rather listen to almost anything else.

Definitely PM me John... I will talk Bat-Music any time, day or night!

Here's the "Bat Amp" prop again in case you missed it:
batamp_new.jpg
It will be featured in the new trailer, which I am VERY excited about. Stay Tuned!
And why doesn't Batman dance anymore? Remember the Batusi?
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

I haven't seen the first Burton Batman film since 1989. I don't recall anything else about the opening music, but I definitely remember a very Hefti-esque "BAT-MAAAAN" at the opening! Well, sooner or later we're probably going to talk about the Burton films on the podcast, so I'll check that out then!

Hope you don't mind if I mention some of what you wrote above in the podcast, guys!

Also, thanks for the Bat-amp photo!
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
Golddragon71

Post by Golddragon71 »

I was just listening to this episode and the track sample played at 18:50 reminds me of a track called Dr. No's Fantasy from the Dr. No Soundtrack by Monty Norman.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rlrBdSxzBM[/youtube]
"Someone might be able to substitute for Batman, for a very short time, but no one could ever replace him!"